Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    mtbab, what would happen if the lorry was the lower bound? That would mean it would be too heavy and the lorry wouldn't be able to handle it, making it unsafe...

ReputationRep:
    its a stupid question, hopefully the markers will have sense and mark accordingly to how they feel they should. Theres one good thing about these though i know that my stingy maths teacher wont be marking mine, lol

ReputationRep:
    i put 1249 divided by 59.5
    coz 1250 to 2sf would be 1300 wouldn't it?
    anywayz i got 20.99.. so to the nearest whole number it would be 21 boxes.
    i might be wrong. i got the first and third questions to do with the pyramind but the second one i got wrong coz the sides are meant to be 6cm, 6cm and 4cm.

ReputationRep:
    yo should have 55, coz it said 60 to 1sf, but neva mind it's over now, no more maths (except if youre taking next yr )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, mtbab's correct, it's either 17 or 23 :cool: ...! I think we've established that anyway?

I need an A to get into Maths A-Level, I'm hopeful, thought today's was going to be hard due to the fact the non-calculator wasn't too challenging.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, hey youre lucky our school say A* in Maths, maybe a A if your lucky, but that only because usually everyone in set1 gets A* and they all wanna do maths (NOT ME THO, I'm A REBEL,lol) so the competition is pretty high as theres like 20places per class and they dont really like having two classes

ReputationRep:
    it is 23 for christ sake. 22.7 or whats the answer?
    btw when they said appropriate degree of accuracy is it 2 s.f. or 3 s.f.?

ReputationRep:
    My school isn't the best ever...! I think around 2 people (inc. myself) are predicted A/A*. Standard school with bad discipline, seems like I'm also rebellious for actually doing work there most of the time

ReputationRep:
    i got the lorry one wrong .. i didnt understnad the question because i saw maximum and just did it. I should get a mark on that one cos i put the upper bounds and lower bounds of both values (maybe we get a mark for rounding down to make whole bars?plzz) i also got the last one wrong i put 1/2 the function instead of 2x the function thats at least 5 marks lost

the hexagon one was easy i got 2 x sqroot 3 at one point anyone else?

my maths teacher said it was pretty straight forward. grade boundary should be between 75% and 85%

ReputationRep:
    lol you rebel!!!

umm appro degree of accuracy is 3sf.

ReputationRep:
    Overall, I don't think I did too bad. I found it harder than the non-calc paper but that's for obvious reasons. I'm hoping I get a B at least in Maths overall

ReputationRep:
    Hey what did u people get for the van question. The one where u had to find out the no. of metal bars which can be fit in a truck?

I got 22!

ReputationRep:
    can sum1 answer in regard to simulataneous equations - did it say we have toi eliminate y? cos i eleimanted x first:

i know i got the right answers at the end

ReputationRep:
    I did intermediate and thought that it was a bit harder than non-calc but it was a calc paper so it is harder.

Messed up the TRIG question and the difference of two squares one so apart from that i thought it was ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simranjeet)
    Hey what did u people get for the van question. The one where u had to find out the no. of metal bars which can be fit in a truck?

I got 22!
    hey if you read you back you can see, but we've come to the consensus that it is either 22 or 17 as people have pointed out the question said how many can he carry safely (hence 17, so no worried about being overwegiht)

not just how many can he carry (hence 22, the max load)

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I got 22.7. Except I put 22, because you can't have .7 of a bar and 23 would be "unsafe". I didn't know whether to go for what would be definately safe, or what he assumed would be safe.. a bit of a stupid question really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    Yea, I got 22.7. Except I put 22, because you can't have .7 of a bar and 23 would be "unsafe".
    yep!

ReputationRep:
    OK... More Views :P! This is MY View..

1200kg for the lorry to 2sf
    60kg bars to 1sf

The idea is to make SURE the bars fit into the lorry accordingly, making sure everything is safe. You needed to work out the minimum weight for the lorry, and the maximum weight of the bars..!

Minimum Weight Of The Lorry: 1150kg
    Maximum Weight Of The Bars: 65kg

This way you are looking at the 'worst-case scenario'. If you got 22, you are assuming that the lorry can handle the maximum weight, while the bars do not weight the maximum. This is not ensuring the driver's safety, as the question asked you to do. If you find the minimum weight of the lorry, and the largest weight of the bars, the lorry will definately be able to handle them no matter what.

You just need to then carry out the simple formula.

1150kg/65kg = 17.69

17.69 incidicates you could fit 17 and a half bars in, but this isn't applicable, so you could just put 17 in, as if you put 18 in, it would have caused it to be over-weight...!

ReputationRep:
    kk we get the point CAN SUM! ANSWER M YQUESTION BEFORE PLEASE

ReputationRep:
    basically noone really knows!lol we'll just have to wait and see the examiners report or when the paper is released with answers on the site or to the schools

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.