The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
NSiky
Yea, but it said "if his assumptions are correct, what's the most he could safely get in" or somthing I think. Which means that if he was right and it is to 2sf and 1sf or whatever then the most he can get in is 22.

Yes, but if you look at my example, 17 is guaranteed safety. 22 isn't, as if the bars are 65 and the lorry is 1150, and you put 22 in, it just won't happen...!
i agree, 17 is right. I got the dammed answer though because I thought 60 was to 1 decimal point so I did 1150/60.5 and the answer I got was 19. I should have read the question properly :mad:
for the pyramid one i got 33.6 degrees on the last part. Anyone else get that?
Reply 163
OMFG I guessed it and I put 32.6 ^_^!!!! omgoogog I neally so got that
Reply 164
And when I mean guessed I mean total random answer- and yeh its right because someone else said that earlier
Reply 165
StriatedCentipe
for the pyramid one i got 33.6 degrees on the last part. Anyone else get that?

YES!!! Someone other than me who got that! Took me so friggin long to work it out...forgot SohCahToa existed so had to fiddle around with cosine and sine rules for ages.
Reply 166
abhineyjain

A lot of people put 3.4 because it LOOKED (superficially) closer to 24, because it was 25.something when 3.3 was 22.something. But 3.3 was right...(yay, patting myself on back)

for all the marks they were really looking for the 3.35 calculation which shows you it must be 3.3, so if you didnt include that u may not have got all the marks available but im not sure...
Reply 167
for the lorry question i made the common mistake but seeing as the wording was weird i htink they'll give u a mark for giving the ub and lb of each value ( i did this for both!) and then maybe a mark for rounding the question down

the question shouldn't of said maximum really, if they had put most i would of got it right . maxumum implies the largest you can get with the figures like when ur looking for the maximum of an equation. most suggests that the number of blocks is less than what he can "try" and get away with, the most suggests a qualitative ( according to the circumstances) limit while maximum suggests the largest number!

think about it and you'll get what i mean. lol i drew a graph of 1/2fx in stead of 2fx im so stupid. The rest were easy. Apparently the modular paper was harder they had a line intersecting a circle and everything
Reply 168
NSiky
Yea, but it said "if his assumptions are correct, what's the most he could safely get in" or somthing I think. Which means that if he was right and it is to 2sf and 1sf or whatever then the most he can get in is 22.

no lol. I've got the paper in front of me, it definately implies that he must safe with his measurements. The bold (the emphasis) was only on 'safely'.
Reply 169
I put 17 too since it came to something with a decimal like 17.6 so you had to round down.
Reply 170
Vazzyb
no lol. I've got the paper in front of me, it definately implies that he must safe with his measurements. The bold (the emphasis) was only on 'safely'.

how have you got the paper in front of you?
"can some one tell me what they got for the simualtanous equations
i got X=1 and Y=2.5"

YAY me too :smile: That's pleasing, even though I knew they were right because I subbed them back into the first equation
Reply 172
good boy! always sub then check, my mate forgot and was like so your only gettin one mark for that then, he was like damn!
.x.g.x.
for all the marks they were really looking for the 3.35 calculation which shows you it must be 3.3, so if you didnt include that u may not have got all the marks available but im not sure...

No they weren't. It specifically said one D.P. so that means don't work anything out above one D.P.

Oh and 3.35 actually rounds up to 3.4 (you could say rounds down to 3.3, but 3.44 would actually round down).
Reply 174
it is 3.3 definitely. u get like 3.34 or 3.33 which is more than 24 so the answer is between 3.3 and 3.33 or 3.34. because it is 1 dp the answer s 3.3
Reply 175
Thats one question i F***** up on. I put 3.4 as I done the calculation and mistakenly didnt bother checking it correctly. Will I still recieve marks for working?
Reply 176
abhineyjain
No they weren't. It specifically said one D.P. so that means don't work anything out above one D.P.

Oh and 3.35 actually rounds up to 3.4 (you could say rounds down to 3.3, but 3.44 would actually round down).

you get a mark for doing 3.35 for showing you whether its 3.3 or 3.4, i remember something like that from a past paper.
Reply 177
i got 3.345^4*3.345=24.07.....
this shows that the answer is between 3.3 and 3.345. Hence because it is 1 d.p. the answer is 3.3, because 4 doesnt change anything and 5 belongs to 4, not to 3.
Reply 178
thats why it was 4 marks instead of usual 3 marks, because it was more complicated.lol.
i dont think that itll really matter which you did for the van one. All the teachers in my schools maths department reckon it was 22, but yea it couldve been taken both ways. So I reckon the most youll lose is 1 mark for choosing the wrong one.

Latest