Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Mehh)
    Okay...
    Vout = - n2dΦ/dt
    Iin n1 = Φ

That all that is known for sure. The phase of Vin relative to Iin is dependant on the coil and the power supply. The phase of Vout relative to Iout is dependant on the secondary coil and the load(s). However for the most parts, I don't believe you need to know this for ALevel Physics. If you did need to know you would probabily know a wee bit about complex impediance [Z = V/I].
    so current and flux are in the same phase? And current and flux have a phase difference of pi/2 against voltage?

ReputationRep:
    As the formula for the magnetic field strength inside the solenoid (2 coils in the transformer are considered as 2 solenoids) B = µ.n.I
    And magnetic flux , Φ = NBA = µ.n.N.A.I
    So the flux should be in-phase with the current.
    Whereas, e.m.f, E = -dΦ/dt = -k.dI/dt (k>0)
    If I = Io.sin2πft -> dI/dt = Io.cos2πft = Io.sin(2πft + π/2)
    So it's obviously, the induced e.m.f is different π/2 relative to the current.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.