Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else sit Poetry and Drama (board Edexcel today) - i did chaucer - The Merchant's Tale (part b) and Marlowe - Dr Faustus (part b) - think I completely messed up Chaucer - just rambled for 4 sides but Faustus was ok - what did you all think?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the questions were evil. I did part a) Chaucer (Merchant's tale) and part b) Duchess of Malfi.
    I'm really worried actually, as I really thought I'd do well in this one and now... :eek: it was mediocre at best. And NOTHING I revised came up :mad:
    Oh well, just comparison and unseen left now :rolleyes:
    skevvybritt x

ReputationRep:
    I know..this was supposed to be my good one! lets just hope the wuth. heights question and poetry are nicer! what are u doing for your novel? other ppl at my school do the Duchess of Malfi and they all said it was really hard to so hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower..or we'll be marked more leniently.

ReputationRep:
    The Duchess of Malfi was really hard but if you found the right quotes there were loads of marks up for grabs. Same for Heaney, if you took the right parts of the right poems you could definitely do really well. I actually left pretty confident that I got an A in those.

ReputationRep:
    Last year the paper i thought i'd done well on i did quite badly on and vice versa...hopfully it'll be the same this year!

ReputationRep:
    I did the Chaucer- I think it was (a)- something about the complexities of reader reaction? I was pleased with that essay and I really enjoyed writing it. For Duchess of Malfi I did (b) but I should have done (a). I'm not sure how that one went- I think it was probably a bit too waffly as usual (9 sides lol).
    I'm so glad to have them over though

ReputationRep:
    I did (b) for both Chaucer and 'Othello', and found them okay. I didn't have difficulty writing the essay, like I have with some questions in the past and AO5 came really easily!

ReputationRep:
    well, I did edexcel's poetry anthology and then lady windermere's fan - I think I did okay. The questions (in my opinion) were loads better than last year. I did 3b and then 21a.
    ah well, only one more english exam!! - Tempest and Translations, and then unproscribed prose. arghhh my WORST part.!!!

ReputationRep:
    Merchant's Tale - question 1. a - same one as reader complexity etc - what was your line of argument sugarplum? I just took the "blindness/insight" theme and developed it a bit, then argued a bit about the layers of irony and how we can't just accept/be happy with the ending....

Yes I think I was quite pleased with that essay.

The other one was Lady Windermere's Fan - the one on the modern reader and the play being too rooted in the society's fanciful and quaint nature (or something like that lol...)

ReputationRep:
    lesser weevil: I'm doing the same for synoptic but I'm doing unseen poetry, as opposed to unseen prose! Although I quite like unseen poetry.. good reason to read random poetry (preparation and revision, yes, it really is, promise mum! I'm not just randomly reading poetry at my leisure 'cause I love the stuff, it should be useful too...haha)

ReputationRep:
    I did Chaucer (a) and 'The Rivals' (a).

The 'complexities' Chaucer question was fantastic as there were so many ways you could interpret it. I felt (b) looked a bit narrow. I began by talking about our personal responses to themes such as antifeminism and the pervasiveness of religion. Then I moved on to how, as unlike the pilgrims we are outside the narrative shells, we respond to the complexities the text itself presents: the identity of the speaker, the construction of irony, fabliau versus Romance. AO5 may have been a little thin.

Doesn't sound like 'The Rivals' was a popular option. Anyhow, there was a nice question - is Sheridan writing an out-and-out comedy or an important social satire. That's a very straightforward and left loads of room to cram AO2 and 5 in.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the Othello or Duffy questions? (or, even better, both?)

I think the Duffy questions were reeeeeeeeeeeally strange. Othello was ok though, I liked the question I did (the one about the avengers going through the greatest suffering)

ReputationRep:
    I found the Malfi and Heaney questions okay too, the other people at my school who did different options seemed to find it alright too.
    Only Criticism and Comparison now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooneknows)
    I did Chaucer (a) and 'The Rivals' (a).

The 'complexities' Chaucer question was fantastic as there were so many ways you could interpret it. I felt (b) looked a bit narrow. I began by talking about our personal responses to themes such as antifeminism and the pervasiveness of religion. Then I moved on to how, as unlike the pilgrims we are outside the narrative shells, we respond to the complexities the text itself presents: the identity of the speaker, the construction of irony, fabliau versus Romance. AO5 may have been a little thin.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly there with the Chaucer - b definitely was too narrow for this level...

I think I pretty much addressed the construction of irony, fabliaux and romance/courtly-religious language and the "chaos" produced by this - also Chaucer's satiric treatment of the Merchant being of importance. It was unbelievably broad - so broad that at first I didn't know where to start. In the end I took the ending extract and discussion of sight and blindness and went off on a string of arguments...

Wow. Just wow . I feel quite good about that - much better than Lady Windermere's Fan actually. Even AO5 was fine with me - there's so much to mention!

edit - oh and for synoptic I'm comparing "North and South" (Gaskell) to "Hard Times" (Dickens). *shudders* Somehow I'm meant to be skimming through both novels in the grand space of 5 days. *cough cough*... And I'm doing Unseen Poetry. I'm slightly concerned about that module actually...

ReputationRep:
    I found (b) for the Chaucer wasn't too narrow and wasn't too broad. Possibly I didn't do enough AO3, but the question introduced lots and lots of AO5. I find with broad questions I'm much more likely to slightly not answer the actual question asked, and I learnt my lesson from that at AS... you drop straight to half marks as soon as you don't properly answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    yeah im doing Hard Times, North and South and unseen too, ahhh! did u do hard times last year?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did do Hard Times last year actually . Imagine doing both novels in the space of one year...that *would* be a bit of a nightmare....

It should be okay, though I haven't done an essay on both for ages since I've done Lady Windermere's Fan and Chaucer during the latter part of the year....wonder if I'll remember the technique .

Unseen sounds interesting lol, we haven't really done that much on it recently...

ReputationRep:
    hmm I seem to have gone off on a completely different tangent with the Chaucer question- I hope it's ok!
    Basically I talked about how the Merchant, by telling the pilgrims (and the readers) to be glad was taking a really simple black/white view of his tale, which didn't take into account the elements of his own personality he had unknowingly revealed, and that in the end, we couldn't 'be glad' because we felt no sympathy for any of the characters and ultimately everyone was shown to be debased in some way. The 'complexity' of our response lay in the fact that, if it was a true fabliau tale, we would expect to have sympathy with the young lovers, and if we accepted the Merchant's view, it is the wronged husband with the terrible wife that we should pity. There was also the ambiguity about whether Januarie really believed May's dubious excuse at the end of the tale or not etc etc (I could go on for hours lol)

How many sequences did you use? I ended up talking about most of the poem and I concentrated on about 5 main ones. Our teacher told us only to do 3 sequences- is 5 too many?

Also, is anyone doing The Return of the Native and Wuthering Heights on Tuesday??

ReputationRep:
    I don't think 5 is too many - rest assured sugarplumc - I did around that many, and according to my teacher they ask you to focus on a set number simply because people previously weren't quoting from the text. Your approach to the question sounds fine - as I said earlier, the question was so broad that there were a number of lines of argument you could have taken it along...

You seem like you've addressed the shells of narrative (ie Chaucer not liking the Merchant hence there is complexity in our reader's interpretation) fine, and I think that was the central point. The rest it seems, is up to you and what you choose to argue/how you develop it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Return of the Native and Wuthering Heights on Tuesday! How have you prepared - Ive gone through themes, characters and context picking out short but relevant quotes and then doing charts to compare them but don't really know what else to do! I'll be happy when it's all over and I never have to look at Return of the Native again! - on year was bad enough but two years!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.