Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think you could have got away with talking about anything for Chaucer part (a). The markscheme will surely (well that said, this is Edexcel we're talking about!) reflect this. I won't worry about it. As long as your answer showed the modern reader simply can't turn from the tale and 'be glad' you must have been on the right lines.

ReputationRep:
    I completely screwed up this exam. It's really quite depressing to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loobyloo)
    I'm doing Return of the Native and Wuthering Heights on Tuesday! How have you prepared - Ive gone through themes, characters and context picking out short but relevant quotes and then doing charts to compare them but don't really know what else to do! I'll be happy when it's all over and I never have to look at Return of the Native again! - on year was bad enough but two years!!!!
    I haven't done any preparation yet!
    But when I start (tomorrow ) I am going to do basically what you've done. I'm going to be so glad to see the back of ROTN! By the way, were you ever told that Clym was impotent?! I completely didn't pick up on that but our teacher this year informed us that was really obvious! lol

ReputationRep:
    No i had not picked up on that! interesting...my friend said that they don't assess A03 on the comparison - do you know if that's right? that would help me so much! she reckons its just A02, A04 and A05 for Wuth. Heights and ROTN and A01, A03 and A04 for unseen

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not AO3 in any overt fashion - ie you'd get assessed on it, but likely to mention it subconsciously without really "realising" as such. Whereas on unseen the A03 emphasis is obviously going to be more overt since that is the type of literature you're assessing.... (literary devices rather than linking or meaning?)

ReputationRep:
    I found the Chaucer and Othello questions horrible too and i completely mucked up my answer. i went overtime on chaucer and so only wrote an essay on othello for 30 mins. for chaucer, i waffled badly and never mentioned the "i pray yow al be glad" bit. do u hav to refer to this part? i talked about the reader's reaction just not the quotation. i'll be lucky if i get 40/90 on this paper. last year our whole school did badly cos of marking and i got a c. im dreadin this year cos i probably wont be able to blame marking. is it audience or reader for chaucer? argh its just so rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    I think for Chaucer you can write reader, listener or audience, since it was originally intended to be read aloud in court, and therefore there would be an audience.

ReputationRep:
    but did you have to refer to the quotation by the merchant? which episodes did everyone refer to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexbex)
    but did you have to refer to the quotation by the merchant? which episodes did everyone refer to?
    I referred to the 'glad' bit quite a lot, but didn't keep saying the whole thing.

And I used the wedding night and the bit where May calls Damyan into the garden, for a bit of a contrast. That was about my only point though.

Also, I did exactly the same as you with the time allocation!

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slashkash)
    Has anyone done the Othello or Duffy questions? (or, even better, both?)

I think the Duffy questions were reeeeeeeeeeeally strange. Othello was ok though, I liked the question I did (the one about the avengers going through the greatest suffering)
    I loved Duffy and found Othello terrible, knew I screwed that one up

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.