Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, am new here and I need some help. I don't know how to do this question, can some please explain it to me? Its part (c) that i don't get:

A 60W filament lamp hangs from the ceiling in a room. Assume that 5% of the electrical energy is converted into visible radiation.
    (a) Calculate an approx. value for the intensity in Wm-² of the visible radiation on a table which is 1.5m below the lamp. State any assumption you made.
    (b) the average wavelength of the visible radiation is 550nm. What is the average energy of each photon?
    (c) At what rate are photons striking an A4 sheet of paper which is placed on the table?

Ans:
    (a)0.10Wm-²
    (b) 3.6 x 10-9J
    (c)1.8 x 10^16 s-1

Can someone please explain how you do part (c)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diesirae)
    Hi, am new here and I need some help. I don't know how to do this question, can some please explain it to me? Its part (c) that i don't get:

A 60W filament lamp hangs from the ceiling in a room. Assume that 5% of the electrical energy is converted into visible radiation.
    (a) Calculate an approx. value for the intensity in Wm-² of the visible radiation on a table which is 1.5m below the lamp. State any assumption you made.
    (b) the average wavelength of the visible radiation is 550nm. What is the average energy of each photon?
    (c) At what rate are photons striking an A4 sheet of paper which is placed on the table?

Ans:
    (a)0.10Wm-²
    (b) 3.6 x 10-9J
    (c)1.8 x 10^16 s-1

Its assuming you know the area of an A4 sheet of paper. In which case you can find the energy per second by multiplying by the intensity. Then divide that energy by the energy of 1 photon and that is the number hitting the paper per second

ReputationRep:
    aaaahhhhh....i feel enlightened thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diesirae)

Ans:
    (a)0.10Wm-²
    (b) 3.6 x 10-9J
    (c)1.8 x 10^16 s-1

im gettin 3.6 x 10-19J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackin boi)
    im gettin 3.6 x 10-19J
    that must be right. the answer he has is huge so he must have missed out a 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackin boi)
    im gettin 3.6 x 10-19J
    i'm not getting that - houw'd u do it?

dont you have to use E=hf?

ReputationRep:
    u gotta use E= hc/ (lamda) cos u dont kno frequency.

ReputationRep:
    thats the same as using v=f(lamda) to find frequency and then e=hf, i got 3.6*10^-19

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James K)
    thats the same as using v=f(lamda) to find frequency and then e=hf, i got 3.6*10^-19
    i must have been day dreaming - i invented my own eqtn:rolleyes:

λ=1/f ; too bad it does not exist :rolleyes:

pk

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.