Gender-dominated subjects

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Which subjects tend to have significantly uneven gender ratios? What makes them generally more appealing to one sex rather than both? Is it because they're more "masculine" or "feminine"?

This was prompted by the "why are there so many females in psychology?" thread.
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Computer Science is meant to be dominated by males, maybe lads are better with computers? :p:

I'm applying for CS and if I get onto a course there's going to be very few girls
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Languages are generally female heavy subjects as apparently their brains work better at them, whilst Sciences are typically the domain of men for the same reasoning.

Whether that's true or not in general, I've no idea, but my department is usually female heavy and is a language department.
Liquidus Zeromus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hylean)
Languages are generally female heavy subjects as apparently their brains work better at them, whilst Sciences are typically the domain of men for the same reasoning.

Whether that's true or not in general, I've no idea, but my department is usually female heavy and is a language department.
Good point, although it's possible that there's a gender stigma surrounding languages, that they're somehow dull and "sissy". Nonsense, but it can happen even if a subject is actually more suitable for the gender with which it is less popular.
The_Right_Ordinary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Engineering seems to be another male dominated course.

Shame...
Liquidus Zeromus
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Right_Ordinary)
Engineering seems to be another male dominated course.

Shame...
Well, at least you won't get distracted :dontknow:

Females seemed to be under-represented in my first economics lecture :sadnod: History will no doubt have plenty :yes:
rmn002
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
History will no doubt have plenty :yes:
I've noticed that, but it's like 57% to 43%. Not a big gap really, as compared to engineering.
D-Day
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Physics.
sorafdfs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I expect vet. medicine will be female dominated. I think English might be female dominated too, but I'm not sure. Degrees like computer science, economics and engineering will doubtlessly be male dominated.
rmn002
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Deanna19)
There a about 6 girls on my campus in the 2nd year engineering course.....and thats over all engineering disciplines.

In my civil engineering class there's 4 girls and about 40+ guys.

It was really overwhelming at first because I found that a lot of guys gave me a lot of **** (was even worse when I started cos I had blonde hair). I just had to start standing up for myself.
So your life could be characterized similarly to this:

happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sorafdfs)
I expect vet. medicine will be female dominated. I think English might be female dominated too, but I'm not sure. Degrees like computer science, economics and engineering will doubtlessly be male dominated.
You'd be surprised at how many guys take English. The English students out of my friends from home are all male come to think of it. My subject was surpisingly not too disproportionate with 8 guys out of 32 whereas in History of Art at uni there were 2 guys to about 50 girls or something like that!
synthpopx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sandeep90)
Computer Science is meant to be dominated by males, maybe lads are better with computers? :p:

I'm applying for CS and if I get onto a course there's going to be very few girls
Very true. There's 4 girls on mine including me lol
harney
Report 11 years ago
drama, dance, performing arts, art and health and socialcare. are pretty much female orientated.
Rhiani-ani-on
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have just started FdA Drama, and actually there are 2 girls and 5 guys! Although we do get one lecture with the FdA Dancers which is all girls.

xx
XFire36
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Radiography seems to have a disproportionate amount of females to males. This is from seeing how many females attended the Uni Open day talks.
Pink Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My publishing MA is about 85% female. My English BA was about 80% female, with most of the remainder being homosexual men.
Josh-H
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)

Physics is mostly male populated, so is engineering.
InkFromMyPen
Report 11 years ago
In my English class there are about 3 boys and all the rest girls.
darkrose666
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my politics classes are mostly male. i wonder why...
SunOfABeach
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go into any physics department - sausage fest. Computer Science and Engineering as well.

Psychology is female dominated. Social work too.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads