The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Mathematics - I was expecting it to be full of boys, but it's actually only 45% boys I think.
Reply 41
At my colege at A level many many girls did the same subjects:

English lit/lang
History
Psychology
Art
Languages

I could bet money on those courses at uni being very female dominating.

Same goes for guys doing:

Economics
Business studies
Sciences
Computing

The course I study at uni (environmental geoscience) has more males in it than females but it isn't too far off even. I guess because of the science being a male thing, the environmental part being a more social, female thing.

I'm just generalising here.
Reply 42
What's Philosophy like? I hear it's a pretty even ratio.
Reply 43
In my history of art lectures, out of 200 people I could count the amount of boys on two hands
Costume design...all 4 levels at my uni all female..
it's not that masculine to be into sewing and stuff,i suppose.
Phantom Bug
Im doing Pharmacy, and its about 2 girls for every boy

Woah, i'm surprised. I thought it was a manly subject. Then again, my female cousin did Pharmacy too.
Reply 46
in my CS class (college) there are 7 girls out of 24.
1 of them is truly a geek :smile: 2 others are her friends :rolleyes: and the remaining four are a gang of tomboys who hate each other :rolleyes:
At my sixth form (all-girls) it was just as normal for girls to take Economics/Physics/other 'male' subjects as it was for them to do 'girl' subjects like languages - although English literature was popular. and they all did very well in them. Actually, thinking about it, hardly any of them did psychology. I was really surprised when I heard from my friends who went to co-ed schools that there were hardly any girls doing subjects like econ and psysics at mixed schools.

Maybe it's simply because there are more male teachers doing subjects like maths, whereas female teachers teach psychology, and this influences the kids? And the teachers are distributed like that because of traditional values. My mother still thinks that men who are good at languages are effeminate. :rolleyes: :mad:

I suspect that as time goes by the gender disparities will be reduced.

I did PPE and it was very evenly split.
Engineering still struggles to recruit female students. I guess there must be some inherent gender differences at the heart of it, even when we are young boys tend to be more intrigued by how things are constructed - this manifests itself in a 'destructive' behaviour pattern (note the label applied by the female-dominated field of behavioural child psychology) where boys take things apart.
Reply 49
Languages is generally female dominated, but it really depends which language you do. I do Italian and there are maybe 10 boys and 30 girls. I'd assume languages like German or Russian would be a bit more equal, but languages in general are a female subject for most.

At sixth form, there were no boys who did languages. But then, there were only about twenty boys in the entire year in the first place!
Im the only boy in my history and psychology class, im 1 of only 2 in my english class.
Reply 51
Primary education... theres about 20 guys max in a year of about 200.
Reply 52
In my English seminars there is an average of 3 guys. The rest are girls.
My further maths class is really unusual - 1 boy 5 girls
The year below has 4 boys 1 girl.

The maths courses I'm applying to at uni are all like 89% male though (get in!)
Reply 54
I'm doing English Lit and French. English Lit seems 75-80% female, French about 90%.
Reply 55
Computing - Men
English - Women
Philosophy - Women
Russian - Equal

In my English class there are four guys in total (one of which is gay), but strangely enough a lot more take Creative writing for some reason, and I would suggest that it is either equal or in favour of men in that subject.

What I have noticed is that most girls who do computing, which included an ex-girlfriend at one point, are not very good and have no real passion for the subject. The boys taking English generally fair far better though. I would say that two of the boys in my class are in the top five (perhaps top three too), and the third is not be too far behind either, while the gay guy seems a bit stupid.
Reply 56
Lizia
Languages is generally female dominated, but it really depends which language you do. I do Italian and there are maybe 10 boys and 30 girls. I'd assume languages like German or Russian would be a bit more equal, but languages in general are a female subject for most.

At sixth form, there were no boys who did languages. But then, there were only about twenty boys in the entire year in the first place!

No, German has a disproportionate number of females too. Wouldn't know about Russian, but I agree it's probably the same for all languages.
Reply 57
On my Music Tech course, there is one girl. 3 overall on the 4 courses put together, with about 100 guys
In my government & politics class I was the only girl (with 5 boys). It got interesting when we studied feminism :tongue:
Reply 59
In my Financial Computing course its dominated my males its about 75% males and 25% females its odd.
What I don't understand is that why girls are the high acheivers when it comes to GCSEs and A-levels, yet you would find "harder" subjects such as Maths and Science to be male dominant.
Don't mean to offend anyone

Latest

Trending

Trending