Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a link to this model answer? OR is it the one in the AQA synoptic book?

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i did to bad... but then i'll get wait for the results

ReputationRep:
    I doubt theres a link to it but ... just tried to find it so I could scan it but I think I threw it away... Soryy.

None the less, it made my whole class feel a lot better about the exam. The general consensus is that we all did badly :rolleyes: but then thats only natural as it is a really difficult task. Im sure we'll all be fine though.

ReputationRep:
    messed up the timing- spent way too long on section A. In section B, didn't contrast the extracts with my wider reading enough. Didn't talk about the date of their composition, or the 'form and structure' of the play & letter.
    Where was the damn patriotism and idealism? And the 'trench' poetry?

arghhhh. What did ya'll say about the Tynan poem- that it was typical?

ReputationRep:
    I found it so hard! Especially 1b because women was the one thing i didn't revise!! I revised everything else but most of my quotes were completely irrevlevant! I hope I do better on tue or i can forget uni!

ReputationRep:
    If you hadn't revise women, don't worry, that is just one aspect of it. Yes two of them were written by women and one was about women but there are many other aspects you could have written about and it been valid: how common the letter form is or isn't, mental effects of war, naturalistic imagery etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt think the exam was too bad, for part a) i talked about the comparison of the ways the authors used the words bell and mourning, and carried on like that. for the part b) how many references to wider reading did u make?

ReputationRep:
    Well that was different!

ReputationRep:
    You can say that again! This will be the exam they use for the Year 13 mocks and i would love to see the present year 12s cry like b*tches when they see this paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freeway)
    i didnt think the exam was too bad, for part a) i talked about the comparison of the ways the authors used the words bell and mourning, and carried on like that. for the part b) how many references to wider reading did u make?
    i think i made 5 wider reading references? how many did everyone else make?

ReputationRep:
    eek, that was awful, I have just woken up to remember how bad it all went!! the topic of part A really threw me and I just waffled andThe extracts for part B just didn't help you write at all, I mean I couldn't even really tell the thoughts of the writers especially in extract C!! I didn't think they would give you all extracts on womens feelings...etc. I learnt so many qutations and poems and ideas about war as hell, the terror, the death and destruction and mens views and I could hardly use them!! I liked extract E the most as I compared it too Charlotte Mews 'The Cenotaph' and some other stuff that I can't even remember.

Over all both my answers were no where near how I would have liked them to be and I don't think I really concluded on either, I just felt so numb and empty after I left the exam room and so I got home and went to bed! Im really going to need to brush up for unit 4!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    You can say that again! This will be the exam they use for the Year 13 mocks and i would love to see the present year 12s cry like b*tches when they see this paper!
    i don't think our year 12's would be able to even attempt it!!

ReputationRep:
    dunno if anyone else was resitting but i thought that was so much easier than last year! maybe because of the q1 choices i dunno! feelin good....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    Tehehe! That'll surprise them (even more so if they get my old exam paper - it had multi-coloured notes all over it). I didn't think they'd include solely literature with a focus on women. My beloved "Break of Day in the Trenches" seemed doomed to never be fitted in there, but I managed eventually!

Definitely agree that "Anthem for Doomed Youth" seemed like a blessing and I really enjoy Tennyson, so that was okay. And it seems I'm almost alone in liking the Tynan..?! I thought it was beautiful, but had that tragic element. Was surprised that Brittain's letters came up, as the letter that must have just preceeded the printed letter was in a recent exam paper (but the other one was far more link-able). All done and dusted, so on to (hopefully less shock-worthy) exams!

ReputationRep:
    2 questions
    1) how many wider reading quotes did you get into your part B answer? (i think i asked that a bit earlier, and
    2) how many times did you quote from each source in question B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caffecooki)
    2 questions
    1) how many wider reading quotes did you get into your part B answer? (i think i asked that a bit earlier, and
    2) how many times did you quote from each source in question B?
    1) I'm not sure...More or less whenever it felt relevant and would help me reinforce an idea or would make a good transition link to another text.
    2) I tried to sustain quoting, with close focus throughout. But considered the first two more or less together, as I said (just my opinion) I thought they were more typical (although I know Brittain frequently isn't considered typical) in terms of pro-active approach, whereas Tynan's seemed to be more mournful and lamenting.

ReputationRep:
    I did Ancient Mariner and Edward II today. I really enjoyed it to be honest. The questions were much better than any other past papers and it wasn't as bad bad as I thought it would be.

How did others find these questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    Is there a link to this model answer? OR is it the one in the AQA synoptic book?
    What we did was all wrote essays in the class and best one was photocopied to show everyone.

ReputationRep:
    The only woman i did in class was Jessie Pope ....i hated section B! arghhhh iam so annoyed i am so not going to get in uni :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't think you did especially well in this exam at least we can all take comfort in the fact that it's finally over now, this exam was always the one I was least looking forward to so I'm glad it's out the way :ciao:

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.