Is this the end of Obesity in Britain? Watch

This discussion is closed.
spoon1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ok probably not but I'm going to give you my idea anyway:

Right, so i read in the newspaper the other day that by 2010, one in three british male adults will be diagnosed as being obese. Obviously this is a huuuge problem (ha ha pun. Ahem.) as our NHS hospitals will be clogged up with people who are there basically because they eat too much.

During WW2 the goverment introduced rationing as there was a food shortage, and there needed to be enough food for the soldiers as well as the civillians. After the war, despite having not that much to eat, people were healthier, and children were taller and fatter (but not too fat) than they had been before the war.

So, what I propose is, the government introduces some sort of food rationing to stop people eating so much. They could introduce a 'points' system, so people can only by the amount of food in a week that they need to keep them healthy, and not more. Not only would this reduce the number of clinically obese people, but any leftover foods can be sent to africa (actually on second thoughts this probably isn't do-able, as the food would probably rot before it got there...but you get my drift, its economical)

Obviously the amount of food you eat isn't the sole factor on determining your weight....the amount of excercise you do and your metabolic rate play a big part too. But the latter two cannot be controlled, however the amount of food you eat can

Now I know this idea may seem controversial, and you can probably think of a gazillion things wrong with it, so I'd be very happy to hear them
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
Yes, the end. Well, there you go.
Constantine
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Like communism and Anarchy: Good in theory. Bad in reality.
Smokyjoe123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think it starts in schools.
1. loads of people just sit at home playing playstation instead of real sports
2. i don't know about others but our school was rubbish for sport, you had to organise everything yourself.
3. poor diets (start at school dinners and snacks)
4. no motivation to do anything
5. mums go to work now and have no time to cook proper meals - sexist i know but its true.
6. idiots run our country - celebrities!
spoon1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Constantine)
Like communism and Anarchy: Good in theory. Bad in reality.

Damn. I knew there was something wrong with it.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Constantine)
Like communism and : Good in theory. Bad in reality.
Ditto. (I always wonder how it would of turned out had Lenin lived.)
There is enough food in the world for everyone, just some of us have more (10% of the world having 90% of the world's wealth) and it is much more accessible to us. Through greed, capitalism etc
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Smokyjoe123)
i think it starts in schools.
1. loads of people just sit at home playing playstation instead of real sports
People sitting at home on TSR is hardly healthy either.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
true
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is a democracy (sort of) so people arnt going to like being told what they can and cant do even if the reasonigs right. So it could work but it would be unpopular. Then blackmarkets for food wou;d spring up and what not.
Smokyjoe123
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
damn your logic.
i agree totally, but this has a more fundamental focus. i used this to help me get through my exams through help from others. i don't sit here all day and i try to play a lot of sport but end up getting injured. good point though
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is for me. My computer is situated on the top of a volcano. I have to climb up steep cliffs, crawl through narrow tunnels and swing over giant abysses before I can log on. And even then I have to stay on my toes because of the constant risk of the volcano erupting :mad:
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh bugger off. I'll eat what I like, it's my disposable income.
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would just get very hungry cause i eat tons...

but to do that every one would have to little moniters on them saying how much food they need.... that would just be freaky... and immpossible.. lmao
Shreerac
Report 13 years ago
There is allready left over food. We dump it in the sea instead of giving it to Africa though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed