Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you consider yourself to be a literary giant, or a nintendo paradigm?
    Tolstoy, Joyce, Coleridge, Hemmingway, Chaucer, Voltaire, Rosseau, Milton.... Do these names mean anything to you? Do you have a particular favourite from the world of literature? The world needs to know, but so far I'm the only one who wants to know.

War & Peace - If you've never read this, go find a library (place with lots of books) and look it up, and while you're at it Anna Karenina by the same author is worth a look. Yet if you're too slow and they're booked out, try James Joyce - Ulysses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Do you consider yourself to be a literary giant, or a nintendo paradigm?
    Tolstoy, Joyce, Coleridge, Hemmingway, Chaucer, Voltaire, Rosseau, Milton.... Do these names mean anything to you? Do you have a particular favourite from the world of literature? The world needs to know, but so far I'm the only one who wants to know.

War & Peace - If you've never read this, go find a library (place with lots of books) and look it up, and while you're at it Anna Karenina by the same author is worth a look. Yet if you're too slow and they're booked out, try James Joyce - Ulysses.
    wish we had more time for these great names. it's a real shame when people of this day and age have never even heard of these literary giants as you put them, let alone read one of thier books. in my short life i have not managed to read books by many of these names, i feel myself torn to actualy got to the library and check out War and Peace, feel proud to inspire Sire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Tolstoy, Joyce, Coleridge, Hemmingway, Chaucer, Voltaire, Rosseau, Milton.... Do these names mean anything to you?
    With an A in A-Level Literature, no. Dumbing down? Surely not... Nintendo paradigm all the way.

To those who criticise people for not taking an interest in classic literature, each to their own...

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou snow_white. Though, you may feel free to frequent the library as often as you should like these days. People are statistically reading 40% more than they did 5 years ago now. These results were right across the board, including newspapersand magazines, yet mostly the humble libraries being emptied out by avid readers here and there. Also, believe it or not, this was not soley due to ye olde Harry Potter So the next time you see that musty smelling building with the rattling air conditioner, and really old woman sitting at the front desk. Walk in, say g'day mum, and head to your favourite section. You could be spending a day in the life with Joyce, going toe to toe in the revolution with Tolstoy, reclaiming hell with Milton, bagging out Caesar with Tassitus (query my spelling, the Roman historian guy anyway), and last but not least, yes... duelling it out against Voldemort with Rowling. Don't be afraid people, sometimes there is nothing more worthwhile than to pick an afternoon to kill the box, play your favourite tunage, and curl up in the sunny spot on the lounge as you let yourself drift away for a few hours. I'm going to shut up now, but please tell me that someone else on this forum has read War & Peace. At the very least...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    With an A in A-Level Literature, no. Dumbing down? Surely not... Nintendo paradigm all the way.

To those who criticise people for not taking an interest in classic literature, each to their own...
    It was not a criticism to be honest. I don't know how I would have completed high school without my nintendos

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.