Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya, my textbook is confusing me

it says that you reject your hypothesis if chi squared is less than 0.5

But you accept your null hyopthesis is chi squared is more than 0.5

So whats the difference between a null hypothesis and normal one? isnt null when you say theres no difference between your results to.. oh I dunno!

Can anyone explain the whole thing to me from scratch plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Hi ya, my textbook is confusing me

it says that you reject your hypothesis if chi squared is less than 0.5

But you accept your null hyopthesis is chi squared is more than 0.5

So whats the difference between a null hypothesis and normal one? isnt null when you say theres no difference between your results to.. oh I dunno!

Can anyone explain the whole thing to me from scratch plz
    Is it not 0.05?

The null hypothesis is something like: There is no correlation between signature length and IQ.

If you get chi2 as less than 0.05 (or 0.5 if you're sure), then you can reject that hypothesis, so you can say: there is a correlation between signature length and IQ.

If you accept the null, then you have no statistical evidence to show that there is a correlation. It is just a measure of the significance of your results.

ReputationRep:
    yeah sorry i was trying to type fast, i guess thats why i forgot the extra 0 sorry!

right, i think i get it.. just both my science teachers had differing opinions on what null hypothesis was, so it confused me lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.