Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, has anyone watched Bowling for Columbine, wot did u think of it?

ReputationRep:
    its very good, quite impressed with marilyn masons interview as well. he seemed very down to earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majik)
    hi, has anyone watched Bowling for Columbine, wot did u think of it?

Fantastic film. Michael Moore is a hero

ReputationRep:
    It was extremely funny. Michael More is a phony, ultra-radical psuedo-politican, but a great comedian.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was really good but i thought the ignorance and racism was amazing! -when he asked the people in America why they thought the gun crime rate was lower in canada, they said it's less of an ethnic population!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    It was extremely funny. Michael More is a phony, ultra-radical psuedo-politican, but a great comedian.
    i think thats abit generous..although comedian is the right area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    i thought it was really good but i thought the ignorance and racism was amazing! -when he asked the people in America why they thought the gun crime rate was lower in canada, they said it's less of an ethnic population!!
    sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    sounds about right.
    Why do you insist on being controversial?

ReputationRep:
    did u know the intro with the gun in the bank, the bank only handed out the gun to him that day because he was Michael Moore. Normally they give you a voucher and there's a waiting period for you to get the gun at a retailer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    did u know the intro with the gun in the bank, the bank only handed out the gun to him that day because he was Michael Moore. Normally they give you a voucher and there's a waiting period for you to get the gun at a retailer.
    And the Canadian home-visits were arranged...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majik)
    they are all right about u, u are a real *****!
    hmm, and i got good reputation for that post. some people agree, they just dont want to show themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Why do you insist on being controversial?
    whats controversial about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majik)
    they are all right about u, u are a real *****!
    whose they? dare i ask.

ReputationRep:
    I found it pretty amazing awhen he was questioning a guy who claimed to be surprised to be 2nd on a 'danger list', but then admited to making napalm and 'tennis-ball' bombs!

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, Michael Moore only shows the things that conform with his opinions. Hence, any facts that disagree with his thesisis are discarded, which leaves everyone with a really biased view. But alot of the things he says are really true, and coming from America, I can agree with alot of them.

Has anyone read his Stupid White Men or his new book, whatever it is called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lonely Salmon)
    The thing is, Michael Moore only shows the things that conform with his opinions. Hence, any facts that disagree with his thesisis are discarded, which leaves everyone with a really biased view. But alot of the things he says are really true, and coming from America, I can agree with alot of them.

Has anyone read his Stupid White Men or his new book, whatever it is called?
    Yeah, Dude where's my country, it was funny. Where are you from? i'm from Bethesda, MD.

ReputationRep:
    Bowling for Columbine was branded "the greatest documentary ever". It was a great movie, Michael Moore is a great comedian and he did make some interesting point. But it was anything but a documentary. It was very biased and I would even go as far as saying it was a brilliant piece of propaganda.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with producing a piece of propaganda in a free environment. But then you should admit it. Bowling for Columbine was good propaganda, but not a documentary.

Let me give you some examples: Did you notice that the people in favour of liberal gun laws appearing in the movie were nearly all total morons whereas the people who support stricter gun laws were generally educated and/or intelligent people. It was hilarious to hear the brother of the Oklahoma bomber say that, 'There are lots of whackos out there', and it certainly illustrates well Moore's point.
    However selecting stupid people to oppose your argument is not really the way to make a documentary. As a matter of fact, documentaries are meant to expose issues and ask questions instead of giving answers.

Another example would be the interview with Charlton Heston. Did you know that Heston announced shortly after the interview he had "Altzheimer-like symptoms". Isn't it wrong to take advantage and make fun of a sick person?

Now, as has been put forward by Moore, Heston might be faking it in order to make us THINK Moore is just a reckless ******* who tries to manipulate us. Yet, that seems unlikely to me: First of all, Heston would hence have sacrificed his career in the NRA for a movie (which didn't go that well in the States BTW) and secondly, why did Moore not point this Altzheimer-thing out in the movie anyway?

In doubt, we should, I think just ignore the interview and not interpret it in a fashion that reflects either positively or negatively on Moore's movie.

Third example: The animated-movie, which most people thought was quite funny. Though Moore may have a point about the American culture of fear, it is certainly wrong to say that the pilgrims were paranoid about their treatment in England. Indeed, they were genuinely prosecuted.

Finally, Moore claims that the US gave $245 million in aid to the Taliban in 2000 and 2001. That's not true or at least not to the extent he pictures: Since 1996 (I think), the US have stopped supporting the Taliban regime. As a matter of fact the $245 million were food aid sent through the UN. Now, there can't be anything wrong with that, can there?

So, remove the fancy interviews, especially the Heston one, which is widely regarded as being the highlight of the movie, the funny animé and the manipulated statistics, and you're not left with much.

I think it's a pity, Moore is so manipulative. He does have a few interesting point, but the fashion in which he presents them destroy his credibility.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.