Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Course there's other life out there. The universe is too big for there not to be. The way I think about it, the Sun is just one star in the whole Milky Way, consisting of billions of stars. Some of these billions of stars are bound to have planets orbiting them, and some of these planets are bound to have life on them. Perhaps better developed than Earth life, perhaps not. But there's got to be more life out there.
    Yep thats how I see it as well.

Other civilizations will be around, except tehy might be eons ago when tehre was dinos about. Or after a few billion years when we die off.

ReputationRep:
    life out there is down to belief just like belief in a god, u can hold both positions and not be proven wrong, our scientific study is not advanced enough to prove anyway yet

*wow 600th post, off to work now peeps!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    No, nothing is certain unless there's proof. Maybe there will be proof, when the err three rovers get back.

What do you mean, no, nothing is certain without proof?! That is the point I have been making throughout this thread. Now you are turning it round and throwing it back in my face as if to say I have been taking a completely different standpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I imagine Mike can take criticism, but yours is neither constructive nor provoked. Nor do you provide examples of how is essays are poor.
    I don't need to provide examples, just read them and you'll agree.

He didn't mention the quality of the criticism, just whom it was delivered by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    What do you mean, no, nothing is certain without proof?! That is the point I have been making throughout this thread. Now you are turning it round and throwing it back in my face as if to say I have been taking a completely different standpoint.
    But I never disagreed that nothing is certain without proof earlier. I just, simply thought that there must be some living thing, I know there's no proof, but there ya go. That's what I believe. Of course, nothing is certain without proof, and I never disagreed. I don't know why you are losing your temper over it.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, to the person who created this poll:

What actually is the difference between the third and fourth option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Just out of interest, who was this Harvard lecturer, and how did you do in English gcse?
    The Harvard Lecturer was Will Lowe: http://www.cbrss.harvard.edu/people/lowe.htm

I got an A* in English and A in English Lit.

ReputationRep:

lol

Maybe option 3 is slightly closer to believing in aliens

ReputationRep:
    There must be because more people is voting for the 3rd than the 4th.

ReputationRep:

I was thinking that. I there isn't a 'no' option.

ReputationRep:
    There must be something out there, no matter what it is, there's something. Whether it's on Pluto, Jupiter or the Moon - something has to be there. It could be an alien, it could be a monster, or it could be an animal :confused:, but there must be something. Although I don't actualyl believe in aliens, I realize that there's some sort of life out there.

This contradicts the point you are trying to make. There is no proof for the 'something' that must be out there- so why must it be out there? You either believe that something must be out there, in which case you are trusting blind faith, or you accept that there is no proof and so there is no 'must' about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    lol

Maybe option 3 is slightly closer to believing in aliens

Yeh, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking that. I there isn't a 'no' option.
    I believe the poll is rigged.

ReputationRep:
    This contradicts the point you are trying to make. There is no proof for the 'something' that must be out there- so why must it be out there? You either believe that something must be out there, in which case you are trusting blind faith, or you accept that there is no proof and so there is no 'must' about it.
    Both - I believe there is something out there, as that is my belief. But I realize there's no proof. Like I said, it's just my opinion. I'm not having a debate here where I need proof, they are just my thoughts. I'm not very well up on the subject anyway, but everyone has an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! This forum is wonderful! I always read books related to these!It is so interesting

By the way,do u know what I have to study in the futur to take Astronomy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)
    Hi! This forum is wonderful! I always read books related to these!It is so interesting

You've spelt 'cupboard' wrong in your location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)

I study GCSE astronomy. A big help. Then A level astronomy module is just like the GCSE one. Dunno why though.

ReputationRep:
    Both - I believe there is something out there, as that is my belief. But I realize there's no proof. Like I said, it's just my opinion. I'm not having a debate here where I need proof, they are just my thoughts. I'm not very well up on the subject anyway, but everyone has an opinion.

Earlier you effectively said that there was no doubt that other lifeforms exist elsewhere in the universe. Now you say that you simply believe they exist and accept their is no proof.

There is a difference, you know.

ReputationRep:
    You've spelt 'cupboard' wrong in your location.
    lol Trust you to notice that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I study GCSE astronomy. A big help. Then A level astronomy module is just like the GCSE one. Dunno why though.

You can do GCSE Astronomy? Why didn't my school offer that?! That was the only bit of physics I was ever interested in...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.