Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    You've spelt 'cupboard' wrong in your location.
    Oops!Shucks,it has been three days I changed my location,but I didnt notice,
    Thankzz!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You can do GCSE Astronomy? Why didn't my school offer that?! That was the only bit of physics I was ever interested in...
    Its edexcel board. Only about 600 people do it each year.

And for alevel its OCR board (B) and module is in A2

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is quite a high chance that there is life elsewhere in the universe. But what I'm baffled about is whether it be conscious - if there are animals there, then fair enough...it's exciting, but not as exciting as it would be if they were INTELLIGENT life. Consciousness seems to me to be the one thing that is unique about human beings that I doubt could have emerged from evolution. To have aliens that are aware of themselves would be truly marvellous.

I think that if there is conscious life relatively close to us in the universe, we shall find out someday. But if there isn't, we'll never know that there isn't.

As for Seer, don't complain about that guy's philosophy essays - I read them myself and as a prospective cambridge philosopher such as yourself, I feel my opinion should be respected as much as yours. His essays are fantastic! Don't you dare criticise them. If you think yours are so good show them and we'll see...

Seer I think you're just jealous haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)
    Hi! This forum is wonderful! I always read books related to these!It is so interesting

By the way,do u know what I have to study in the futur to take Astronomy?
    Physics, perhaps Maths, maybe one other science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I believe that there is quite a high chance that there is life elsewhere in the universe. But what I'm baffled about is whether it be conscious - if there are animals there, then fair enough...it's exciting, but not as exciting as it would be if they were INTELLIGENT life. Consciousness seems to me to be the one thing that is unique about human beings that I doubt could have emerged from evolution. To have aliens that are aware of themselves would be truly marvellous.

I think that if there is conscious life relatively close to us in the universe, we shall find out someday. But if there isn't, we'll never know that there isn't.

As for Seer, don't complain about that guy's philosophy essays - I read them myself and as a prospective cambridge philosopher such as yourself, I feel my opinion should be respected as much as yours. His essays are fantastic! Don't you dare criticise them. If you think yours are so good show them and we'll see...
    There will be intelligent life out there somewhere. Just dont know WHEN it is though! It could be when everyone has died out in a few billions of years, or it has already happened and the civilization is in its death throes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty open minded. I mean like, the other day I was reading a book on possible theories on the creation and evolution of life, and it was mind boggling! Trying to fathom how a few chemical reactions in the right place at the right time happened to turn inorganic matter into something living. So I can see how people are sceptical that such a seemingly "chance" occurance could take place on another world.

On the other hand, given the rate at which our scientific knowledge has advanced in say, the last 10 years, it would be silly to assume that our current knowledge of carbon based life on this planet (one out of billions and billions out there) is the definitive standard to which all other life in the Universe must conform. Even on our own planet, we're discovering new forms of life everywhere from deep inside the darkest inhospitable recesses of the Earth, to high up in the stratosphere that defy our seemingly infallable explanation of the nessacary prerequisites to life. So given that, I don't think life on another planet would have to of evolved in the same way as on Earth at all.

So yeah, personally...I think there's a fair chance of life on other planets, but it could be in any form, and probably not anything like what we're expecting.

Only time will tell i guess!

ReputationRep:

Seer is an alien. Just look at his avatar! But intelligent life...

Just kidding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    There will be intelligent life out there somewhere. Just dont know WHEN it is though! It could be when everyone has died out in a few billions of years, or it has already happened and the civilization is in its death throes.
    But since all matter and all life is predicted in the stars, then surely the componants of life are already out there?

The problem is the universe is too big and we're just too small...

We can't even explore an infinitesimally small part of our own galaxy and yet there is the idea of millions of galaxies and even the possibility of parallel universes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Physics, perhaps Maths, maybe one other science.
    Yep thats all in the gcse syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Seer is an alien. Just look at his avatar! But intelligent life...

Just kidding!
    LOL!!!

ReputationRep:
    I agree that there is a high chance of life elsewhere in the universe. However, I don't share your view that consciousness is unique to human beings. Consciousness is an amazing faculty which it is beyond us to explain; however, on what grounds do you deny that every other living thing on this planet is not conscious?

PS - Thanks Adsur for standing up for me about my essays

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's fairly likely, adopted an athiest's approach, that there is developed life somewhere else in the universe, just given the magnitude of the universe, I find it hard to believe we are the only developed form of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    I'm pretty open minded. I mean like, the other day I was reading a book on possible theories on the creation and evolution of life, and it was mind boggling! Trying to fathom how a few chemical reactions in the right place at the right time happened to turn inorganic matter into something living. So I can see how people are sceptical that such a seemingly "chance" occurance could take place on another world.

On the other hand, given the rate at which our scientific knowledge has advanced in say, the last 10 years, it would be silly to assume that our current knowledge of carbon based life on this planet (one out of billions and billions out there) is the definitive standard to which all other life in the Universe must conform. Even on our own planet, we're discovering new forms of life everywhere from deep inside the darkest inhospitable recesses of the Earth, to high up in the stratosphere that defy our seemingly infallable explanation of the nessacary prerequisites to life. So given that, I don't think life on another planet would have to of evolved in the same way as on Earth at all.

So yeah, personally...I think there's a fair chance of life on other planets, but it could be in any form, and probably not anything like what we're expecting.

Very well said

ReputationRep:
    Very well said
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Trying to fathom how a few chemical reactions in the right place at the right time happened to turn inorganic matter into something living.
    I imagine a game of 9-ball Pool. At the break-off, random collisions result in usually one ball going in. Makes it easier for me to imagine how certain events happen in the right place at the right time for such a fruitful result.

Oh yeah, I once managed to pot the 9-ball from the break , a golden break! 'Tis my game, 9-ball, I'm not quite as good at snooker...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I agree
    I would say something about the tiny post, but 2776 is going to give me rep (remember?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I think that it's fairly likely, adopted an athiest's approach, that there is developed life somewhere else in the universe, just given the magnitude of the universe, I find it hard to believe we are the only developed form of life.
    Now there's a thought: would these alien lives have religions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I would say something about the tiny post, but 2776 is going to give me rep (remember?)
    An incredible proportion of 2776's posts are thinks like 'lol' or 'I agree'.

ReputationRep:
    Now there's a thought: would these alien lives have religions?
    If they are as intelligent as us, then probably.

ReputationRep:

There aren't really any plausible theories for creation of life by creation. As for life based on elements other than carbon, there is no evidence to suggest the existence of a completely different set of elements existing elsewhere in the universe. Therefore, we can assume for these to be the only elements throughout the universe. And carbon is the only element with unique properties such as catenation and certain thermodynamic stabilities

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.