The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Adhsur
I believe that there is quite a high chance that there is life elsewhere in the universe. But what I'm baffled about is whether it be conscious - if there are animals there, then fair enough...it's exciting, but not as exciting as it would be if they were INTELLIGENT life. Consciousness seems to me to be the one thing that is unique about human beings that I doubt could have emerged from evolution. To have aliens that are aware of themselves would be truly marvellous.

I think that if there is conscious life relatively close to us in the universe, we shall find out someday. But if there isn't, we'll never know that there isn't.

As for Seer, don't complain about that guy's philosophy essays - I read them myself and as a prospective cambridge philosopher such as yourself, I feel my opinion should be respected as much as yours. His essays are fantastic! Don't you dare criticise them. If you think yours are so good show them and we'll see...

Seer I think you're just jealous haha!

Just because you applied for the same university as me doesn't automatically make your opinion as valuable. You won't get into Clare, you got AABB for AS, and you did the worst board possible for philosophy. :smile: (Oh, and I know someone applying for philosophy there far more intelligent than you). What precisely is there for me to be jealous of? Am I not allowed to just make a passing comment without getting mobbed?

Augustine’s theodicy is a theodicy which aims to remove the responsibility for evil away from God and onto human beings.

^ This is the first sentence of one of his essays. Now please, ok, there is nothing absolutely crushingly terribly about it. But it's hardly Oxbridge standard, is it? It doesn't read well and seems poorly constructed. Also, it mentions the fact his theodicy tries to resolve the problem of evil with God's assumed benevolance. It's mentioned like that is something specific to Augustine's theodicy, when in fact all theodicies (by definition) aim to do that.
Reply 101
Out of interest, if I had of made a one line comment, 'Hey mike your essays are good', would I have got the same kind of response?
Reply 102
Seer
Just because you applied for the same university as me doesn't automatically make your opinion as valuable. You won't get into Clare, you got AABB for AS, and you did the worst board possible for philosophy. :smile: (Oh, and I know someone applying for philosophy there far more intelligent than you). What precisely is there for me to be jealous of? Am I not allowed to just make a passing comment without getting mobbed?

You know what Seer, nearly everyone in the country does edexcel for maths, and it's the worst board for maths, does this make us less likely to get in for maths, i think not. You don't even know Adhsur in real life, so what criteria do you have for saying she is not intelligent. And 'AABB' for AS, not getting you in, rofl! I know people who have gotten in on that, and one who has gotten in on a fair bit worse. Also, getting into Oxbridge isn't about intelligence, it's also mainly about potential and teachability, of which AS grades, and 'being more intelligent' arn't very good guidelines.

Perhaps if you didn't make such arrogant, unjust comments you wouldn't get mobbed?
Reply 103
Seer

But regardless of the unis she applied to her opinion is just as valuable.
And she won't get into Clare eh, well unless you have any influence with the admissions procedure you know where you can shove that comment.
Wrong board? So what?
Seer, most of your comments are deliberately controversial, from which I sense a deep self-inadequacy which makes you cuss everyone else so that you feel better. Makes the jealousy claim a bit more plausible...
Seer

Augustine’s theodicy is a theodicy which aims to remove the responsibility for evil away from God and onto human beings.

^ This is the first sentence of one of his essays. Now please, ok, there is nothing absolutely crushingly terribly about it. But it's hardly Oxbridge standard, is it? It doesn't read well and seems poorly constructed. Also, it mentions the fact his theodicy tries to resolve the problem of evil with God's assumed benevolance. It's mentioned like that is something specific to Augustine's theodicy, when in fact all theodicies (by definition) aim to do that.

Seer, why on earth did you feel the need to insult Adhsur like that? Ye gods, are we in a school playground?! How petty and pathetic. You have no way of knowing whether or not you OR Adhsur will get into Cambridge because you never can be sure. And AABB are perfectly good AS levels for anyone. I know someone studying Law who got AABB for A2 level. And there will always be a genius or two at every college, that's the way the place is - doesn't mean that no-one else can get in. Incidentally, your shot at this guy's essays seemed completely unprovoked and unnecessary: no wonder Adhsur is standing up for him.
Seer
Out of interest, if I had of made a one line comment, 'Hey mike your essays are good', would I have got the same kind of response?

There was no reason to insult him on a public message board.
Reply 106
MadNatSci
Ye gods, are we in a school playground?! How petty and pathetic.

lol
Reply 107
theone
You know what Seer, nearly everyone in the country does edexcel for maths, and it's the worst board for maths, does this make us less likely to get in for maths, i think not. You don't even know Adhsur in real life, so what criteria do you have for saying she is not intelligent. And 'AABB' for AS, not getting you in, rofl! I know people who have gotten in on that, and one who has gotten in on a fair bit worse. Also, getting into Oxbridge isn't about intelligence, it's also mainly about potential and teachability, of which AS grades, and 'being more intelligent' arn't very good guidelines.

Perhaps if you didn't make such arrogant, unjust comments you wouldn't get mobbed?

-I've heard edexcel is the best board because it's the hardest. (something about having to do more modules) Regardless of this, I think the quality of the board you study does affect your prospects and understanding of a subject.
-Did I say she wasn't intelligent?
-Even if I did, what Criteria do I have? The fact she didn't know what a deductive statement was before her interview.
-When you are competing with 4 other straight A applicants for one place AABB does hinder you.
-You make it sounds like intelligence and potential are 2 unrelated things.
Point of information:

Mikesgt2 has an offer from Oxford according to another thread.
Reply 109
Ralfskini
Point of information:

Mikesgt2 has an offer from Oxford according to another thread.

o.O
Reply 110
MadNatSci
There was no reason to insult him on a public message board.

It was hardly an insult riddled with vitriol, I just said they weren't very good. Of course, making an unprovoked, passing comment saying they were good would make this an entirely different matter, wouldn't it?
Seer
It was hardly an insult riddled with vitriol, I just said they weren't very good. Of course, making an unprovoked, passing comment saying they were good would make this an entirely different matter, wouldn't it?

Yes. Because that wouldn't humiliate him.
Reply 112
Seer
-I've heard edexcel is the best board because it's the hardest. (something about having to do more modules) Regardless of this, I think the quality of the board you study does affect your prospects and understanding of a subject.
-Even if I did, what Criteria do I have? The fact she didn't know what a deductive statement was before her interview.
-When you are competing with 4 other straight A applicants for one place AABB does hinder you.

1) It's the easiest board, I've seen the syllabus and textbooks for other boards and am convinced of this.
2) You said 'she wouldn't get into Cambridge'. i.e. She isn't intelligent enough for Cambridge.
3) There's always somethings that people don't know, perhaps we should quiz your knowledge until you get something wrong
4) The tutors are looking for potential in philosophy, not in other subjects. She got A in philo AS, what more can you ask? Just because she got two B's and you got 2 A's doesn't make you a better philosopher.
5) I'm saying that current intelligence and potential are quite unrelated, since you can't deduce how people will cope with just studying one subject in such depth compared to several, and also whether people have enthusiasm, which is essentially for degree studies, equally as much as intelligence imho.
Ralfskini
There aren't really any plausible theories for creation of life by creation. As for life based on elements other than carbon, there is no evidence to suggest the existence of a completely different set of elements existing elsewhere in the universe. Therefore, we can assume for these to be the only elements throughout the universe. And carbon is the only element with unique properties such as catenation and certain thermodynamic stabilities

There are lots of things we would have assumed not half a century ago that have turned out to be completely unfounded and incorrect. To think that our planet is like some sort of microcosm that represents every possible form of matter in the Universe, living or not, is to me anyway, far fetched. We base our knowledge of the Universe around what we can see and measure and quantify. When we can't do that, we make assumptions based on the effects that an unseen force might have. It's an integral part of science - guesswork and assumption, based on our current knowledge, where the unknown is involved. Sometime's it's right and it pays off. So yup, Earth may well represent all there is in the Universe (on a smaller scale). But then again, it may not. What do we have to compare it against? It's not a "fair test" so to speak. I'm just saying, be open minded. We as humans don't know half as much about the world, the universe, or even our own existence, as we'd like to think we do. I think even in the next century (which depending on advances in medical science, we may all get to see!) we'll see some big changes. Some major revelations with regards to what we really know and understand about our existence and the world around us.
Reply 114
Seer

For God's sake, I think it does show your own feeling of inadequacy if you have to constantly see me as "the competition". Give it up! I haven't been insulting you anywhere near as much as you've insulted that guy's essays (which I thought he did a great job in) and me. If I don't get in, so be it...but that's no reason to think I'm in any way inferior to you - how can you be so sure YOU'LL get in? As for the exam board stuff, that is a load of rubbish. Do you really think universities will say, "that girl did it on AQA so she can't come into our uni"? It's still an A level!!!

I don't think anyone can truely say that they will get into Cambridge but since we both got an A in philosophy I don't see why you think my opinion is less worthy than yours. For someone who has to go out of his way to criticise someone's hard work and effort in those essays, that must be really low. And I mean REALLY low. With an arrogance like that if you don't get in you really do deserve that.
Reply 115
snow_white
As myself being young and innocent i have always believed in the possibility of thier being other life in the universe besides our own existance. There have been countless political arguments, human rights movements, explorations, publications, research etc, but we are yet to say "well yes actually there are aliens out there". What i would like to know from all of you or any of you, is how can we say that all this researching and investigating has been a complete waste of time?
Are there weird extraterrestrial believers such as myself located here or not? Just a thought. Perhaps one day ET will phone back ay? :confused:

there is other life out there.I dont think et might be one of the people to use but why should are earth be the only 1 living.The government no something but they wont tell us.It is believed when neil armstrong landed on the moon there was a ufo and eyes popping out of the windows were watching him and the government have deleted that from tapes because they had proof of it.
Reply 116
theone
2) You said 'she wouldn't get into Cambridge'. i.e. She isn't intelligent enough for Cambridge.

ouch
Reply 117
Adhsur
For God's sake, I think it does show your own feeling of inadequacy if you have to constantly see me as "the competition". Give it up! I haven't been insulting you anywhere near as much as you've insulted that guy's essays (which I thought he did a great job in) and me. If I don't get in, so be it...but that's no reason to think I'm in any way inferior to you - how can you be so sure YOU'LL get in? As for the exam board stuff, that is a load of rubbish. Do you really think universities will say, "that girl did it on AQA so she can't come into our uni"? It's still an A level!!!

I don't think anyone can truely say that they will get into Cambridge but since we both got an A in philosophy I don't see why you think my opinion is less worthy than yours. For someone who has to go out of his way to criticise someone's hard work and effort in those essays, that must be really low. And I mean REALLY low. With an arrogance like that if you don't get in you really do deserve that.

go adhsur

adhsur adhsur shes the girl if she wont shout no one will.
Reply 118
ouch

I don't mean it, if anything I believe the opposite, I'm merely pointing out that that was Seer saying that Adhsur wasn't intelligent enough.
Reply 119
eric bischoff
go adhsur

adhsur adhsur shes the girl if she wont shout no one will.

rotfl.

Latest

Trending

Trending