Turn on thread page Beta

other life out there? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    If I said she would get in would that make me less of an idiot?
    No, because either way you're asserting something you can't prove. Come on, i thought you were the philosopher.

ReputationRep:
    So if I had said she would get into Cambridge and that Mike's essays were good would I be an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    No, because either way you're asserting something you can't prove. Come on, i thought you were the philosopher.
    It was rhetorical as I'm sure you knew.

You're answering these 1,2,3,4 things with jargon now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    So if I had said she would get into Cambridge and that Mikes essays were good would I be an idiot?
    Don't change the subject don't assert things you know fine well you can't prove or disprove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    So if I had said she would get into Cambridge and that Mikes essays were good would I be an idiot?
    It depends whether it was an informed judgement or not.

ReputationRep:
    1)
    5) Or perhaps you misunderstood it? I don't think many other people would have questioned what i had written.
    Hehehe, it seems Seer makes a lot of semantic errors. That can't really help his philosophy either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    It was rhetorical as I'm sure you knew.

You're answering these 1,2,3,4 things with jargon now.
    Jargon? Do you want me use perfectly constructed sentences or something? Such a pedant...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    So if I had said she would get into Cambridge and that Mike's essays were good would I be an idiot?
    A morale booster maybe. Which means you can still be an idiot. And Huntroyde made good points about your philosopher credentials heeheehee...

ReputationRep:
    Originating from ancient Greek philosophy and supported principally by Descartes, dualism is the view that the soul and body are separate with entirely different properties.

That's the first sentence from one of his Oxford essays, very poor indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Hehehe, it seems Seer makes a lot of semantic errors. That can't really help his philosophy either.
    He did who in the what now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Originating from ancient Greek philosophy and supported principally by Descartes, dualism is the view that the soul and body are separate with entirely different properties.

How long is it going to take you to realise you can't judge the strength of an essay on it's first line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It depends whether it was an informed judgement or not.
    My point is that if I had complemented these people, but given no justification for my complements, there would not be this kind of response. I just wanted to point out the double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

And whole essays are judged on first sentances?

ReputationRep:
    How long is it going to take you to realise you can't judge the strength of an essay on it's first line.
    Of course you can't, but I'm hardly going to cite the whole essay?

ReputationRep:
    "It was a birght cold day in April, and the clocks were stiking thirteen."

Now personally, i'd say that isn't a very good opening to a book, quite a poor first line. Doesn't mean that 1984 is a bad book though does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    My point is that if I had complemented these people, but given no justification for my complements, there would not be this kind of response. I just wanted to point out the double standards.
    Probably not, but that is because complimenting people without justification is seen as acceptable behaviour, but insulting or discrediting people without justification is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Of course you can't, but I'm hardly going to cite the whole essay?
    You could point out what are the major faults in the essay, rather than one sentence perhaps being poorly constructed.

ReputationRep:
    Good thing too, or I'd be screwed! But after my first sentence my pen flows gold, As all the way !
    Point being I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

What is the point of doing this? Do you think it matters to this guy now that he's going to Oxford. He's obviously good enough. And what's wrong with the first line anyway?

ReputationRep:
    -A book is not an essay
    -That sentence is simple but at least it's coherent and reads well
    -That was just one example and I could pick 10 more from any part of the essay, I just thought it to be particularly indicative of his ability to make mistakes in the opening paragraph.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.