other life out there? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Seer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Probably not, but that is because complimenting people without justification is seen as acceptable behaviour, but insulting or discrediting people without justification is not.
Exactly my point! (I just find the concept interesting)
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
-A book is not an essay
-That sentence is simple but at least it's coherent and reads well
-That was just one example and I could pick 10 more from any part of the essay, I just thought it to be particularly indicative of his ability to make mistakes in the opening paragraph.
Well come on then, write a detailed description of why his essays are bad, and don't say because the sentences are poorly constructed, actual points about the material.
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The material used is sound but the way it is deployed is not.

If many sentences are poorly written, this usually makes the whole essay poorly written. (Remember I was only giving one example of one type of flaw).
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

If many sentences are poorly written, this usually makes the whole essay poorly written. (Remember I was only giving one example of one type of flaw).
Enlighten me, oh wise one. What is poor about his opening? For someone who likes clarity and coherence, you are incredibly wishy washy.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

Sound material is what got him into Oxford I'll bet. And you said the essay was poor (yes you did, right at the start, the essay itself, not just its presentation), would that not encompass the "sound" material? I think you've just U-turned yourself...
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Don't you dare try to offend a scientist by using religious writings as proof of anything, let alone extra terrestrial lifeforms.

Chill would you, i was only really quoting
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I explained the theodicy one and I'm not going to do any more.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

So I think we can see now that your claims and accsuations about rushda were completely unjustified and untrue. Now we've moved onto debating over the strength of the essays, which I've just realised isn't worth argueing over, firstly since you're clearly very pedantic, and secondly since these essays are good enough for oxford, so I can't expect anyone to do much better.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Enlighten me, oh wise one. What is poor about his opening? For someone who likes clarity and coherence, you are incredibly wishy washy.
Rushda, have you recieved a letter from Cambridge yet?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Babygal)
Chill would you, i was only really quoting

Ok. I'm chilled. :cool:
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theone)
So I think we can see now that your claims and accsuations about rushda were completely unjustified and untrue. Now we've moved onto debating over the strength of the essays, which I've just realised isn't worth argueing over, firstly since you're clearly very pedantic, and secondly since these essays are good enough for oxford, so I can't expect anyone to do much better.
Hear hear!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Rushda, have you recieved a letter from Cambridge yet?
Nope.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Ok. I'm chilled. :cool:
lol
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Sound material is what got him into Oxford I'll bet. And you said the essay was poor (yes you did, right at the start, the essay itself, not just its presentation), would that not encompass the "sound" material? I think you've just U-turned yourself...
I don't think sound material got him in, I think being good at maths and having a logical mind did.

I know I said the essay was poor. An essay can have good content but be badly written, which will lower its standard. I fail to see how I'm doing a U-turn. Are you suggesting that essays can only be bad if they lack in both presentation AND content?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope.
do you think you'll get it this week?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
do you think you'll get it this week?
I don't want my rejection letter before Christmas, but maybe.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't want my rejection letter before Christmas, but maybe.
I doubt you will get it this week, perhaps just before New Year.
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what the hell is going on?

this thread is meant to be about life on other worlds and such - not an argument about someone's essay!
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theone)
-Does the fact he's got into Oxford mean his essays are immaculate and that no one can expect to do much better? This is rubbish, I've seen so many A-level essays better than his. Remember the type of course he is applying for; Maths and Philosophy, they're primarily looking for a logical mind, not an essayist, so he can afford to lack in that department.

-How have you proved what I said about her being wrong?
The fact remains she didn't know what deductive meant.
The fact remains she's competing with AAAA/AAAAA students and that initial look at academic records is the first way admissions tutors start to make decisions.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
what the hell is going on?

this thread is meant to be about life on other worlds and such - not an argument about someone's essay!
Aliens etc were last mentioned about page 5.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads