Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Spread of data around the mean. Mean is the magic word for which you get the point (according to mark shame). From mathematical point of view it may be to simple but it is all required for purpose of module 5.

ReputationRep:
    Just been going over my notes.... s'all good
    What's all this businees about chi squared? I know I don't need to know how to do it, but what is the actual significance of it?

ReputationRep:
    I think u do need to know chi squared, it is basically a statistical test to see whether your results can be accepted as experimental and not just down to chance factors

ReputationRep:
    I normally pick up things quickly and can revise easily. The reason I'm finding this module hard is because it's so god damn boring. I just can't wait till the 24th of June where I can safely say I will never study Biology again.

I've done modules 1-4, got 312/390, an 'A' (just). I got 36/38 on coursework. Of the 210 remaining marks, how many are courswork? 66 or 45?

ReputationRep:
    Courswork is out of 66. Well done by the way, I have only got 32/38 (our teacher is always so strict on courswork :/). But I do not care, I just need 110 marks out of modules 5 and 8.

ReputationRep:
    i have this and i need an A or B and i really suck at biology (i got an E at AS). im panicking but i don't know how to prepare for it well. i cant link the stuff in the textbooks to the way the questions are asked.

ReputationRep:
    The actual specification content is fine, but the wording of the questions is the REAL problem

ReputationRep:
    the best thing you can do is look over some past papers and it might help you link everything together

ReputationRep:
    Yeah some stuff comes up all the time, like the natural selection question (EXCEPT for the first time in January when I sat it!! lol)

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure there will be sth on succession, sampling, osmosis, carbon/nitrogen cycle and enzymes.

ReputationRep:
    don't forget the token farming question - everybody's favourite. usually on bioaccumulation or the effect of effluence/fertilisers on rivers :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by froggymills)
    The actual specification content is fine, but the wording of the questions is the REAL problem
    bump to that

just printing the last module 5 paper to do (jun 04)

doing past papers is the best thing I think, thats the only way to get used to what answers they want. You can write a "correct" answer but it may not be what the mark scheme wants - so check over some past papers and mark schemes, if u havent already:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/bioB_assess.html

From the examiners reports, the average A grade for module 5 is about 40/66 which is 60%. For module 4 it is about 50/81 = 61.7%

In the examiners reports, go right to the bottom and youll see the % and equivalent UMS scores for each paper that year.

EDIT: in chi squared ****, allways use the word "significant". A result is deemed significant if the chi squared **** is less than 0.5, I think - thats the chance of the results being ******** and due to chance - or the chance of the null hypothesis being fo real. So if u have to analyse the results, mention their **significance**

--Joe

ReputationRep:
    A result is deemed significant if the chi squared **** is less than 0.5,
    If the CS value is better than the reference value for 0.05 or 5% at the correct degrees of freedom.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.