The Student Room Group

will this home student be charged a College Fee?

Will a home student at Cambridge be charged the College Fee if they get

1) a full maintenance grant, and 2) a full Cambridge bursary,

but they do not apply for

A) a maintenance loan (because 1) and 2) meet their needs), or
B) a tuition fee loan (because a family member will pay their fees)

Also, if the answer is "NO", and the government pays their College Fee, then will they have to pay the government back some time?

Many thanks.

Dave

PS The reason I ask here rather than in another forum is because a lot of this is very Cambridge-specific.
Reply 1
no. if you're a home student you don't pay the college fee.
Reply 2
Chewwy
no. if you're a home student you don't pay the college fee.

It's not as clear as that. A home student does have to pay the College Fee if they get classed as a "Private" Student, also known as "self-funding".

For example, Churchill College say (section 9.3) that you have to pay it unless you're publicly funded. Other colleges say things that are a variation on the same theme. But does this mean you need to get a loan (of one or both kinds)? Or is it sufficient just to get a grant, even if you haven't applied for a maintenance loan and you haven't applied for a tuition loan either?

That's my big question, and I have yet to find the answer!
Reply 3
davidne
It's not as clear as that. A home student does have to pay the College Fee if they get classed as a "Private" Student, also known as "self-funding".

For example, Churchill College say (section 9.3) that you have to pay it unless you're publicly funded. Other colleges say things that are a variation on the same theme. But does this mean you need to get a loan (of one or both kinds)? Or is it sufficient just to get a grant, even if you haven't applied for a maintenance loan and you haven't applied for a tuition loan either?

That's my big question, and I have yet to find the answer!

if you're a home student you don't pay the college fee. just apply for £0 of loans.
Reply 4
Chewwy
if you're a home student you don't pay the college fee.

So you think Churchill College have got it wrong about their own fee?
Reply 5
davidne
So you think Churchill College have got it wrong about their own fee?

no, i think you can't read, and severely lack in common sense.

do you think there are britons paying more than double the fees of others at cambridge? because they didn't take out a loan? even if those were the rules (which they aren't), you'd just take out the loan in this case, wouldn't you.
Reply 6
davidne
Will a home student at Cambridge be charged the College Fee if they get

1) a full maintenance grant, and 2) a full Cambridge bursary,

but they do not apply for

A) a maintenance loan (because 1) and 2) meet their needs), or
B) a tuition fee loan (because a family member will pay their fees)

Also, if the answer is "NO", and the government pays their College Fee, then will they have to pay the government back some time?

Many thanks.

Dave

PS The reason I ask here rather than in another forum is because a lot of this is very Cambridge-specific.
As a Home/EU student you will not have to pay the college fees, provided that you have demonstrated that you are eligible for public funding, whether or not you accept it (in fact you will accept some, by definition, because your tuition fees will be heavily subsidised by the government). In any case, you will have to apply through Student Finance to get the maintenance grant, providing all the necessary evidence of income from your parents, and this process will also confirm your eligibility for public funding including loans. As I have explained in the other thread, you do not have to take the loans.

Without confirmation of your eligibility for public funding, you will have to pay college fees and higher fees.
Reply 7
Thanks Minerva. So if eligibility for public funding even covers just getting tuition fees subsidised, then neither a student's finances nor their parents' finances can be an impediment to their eligibility for public funding and therefore to being exempt from college fees - is that right?

Chewwy - so basically the provision for UK "Private Students" paying College fees is just to prod them to fill in a form so the College gets the dosh from the government, right?

Just checking that I've understood. The main reason I got into this today is that Fee Code 01 in the UCAS form is supposed to be for those who are getting their tuition fee privately paid, e.g. me, whereas Fee Code 01 is supposed to be for those who are getting some publicly funded support, which will also be me. So I can read, and what I read is not clear!
Reply 8
davidne
Thanks Minerva. So if eligibility for public funding even covers just getting tuition fees subsidised, then neither a student's finances nor their parents' finances can be an impediment to their eligibility for public funding and therefore to being exempt from college fees - is that right? Yes

Chewwy - so basically the provision for UK "Private Students" paying College fees is just to prod them to fill in a form so the College gets the dosh from the government, right?

Just checking that I've understood. The main reason I got into this today is that Fee Code 01 in the UCAS form is supposed to be for those who are getting their tuition fee privately paid, e.g. me, whereas Fee Code 01 is supposed to be for those who are getting some publicly funded support, which will also be me. So I can read, and what I read is not clear!
No it isn't. I really don't know where you've got this from. Unless things have suddenly changed this year, Fee Code 01 is for international students, and 02 is for Home/EU students. Not all Home/EU students are eligible for public funding, for instance because they are planning to do another degree at the same or lower level than one they already hold. In that case, they will be required to pay a higher rate of tuition fees, but not necessarily as high as the standard international tuition fees, and also they would have to pay the college fees.

As this is your first degree (presumably) and you are a Home/EU student, you will be eligible for public funding and therefore the capped tuition fee rate of £3225 or whatever it is now, as well as not having to pay the college fee. The fact that you don't intend to take a tuition fees loan doesn't remove your eligibility for one if you did want it.
Reply 9
Yes it is unclear. I get it from the UCAS form itself, which does not say 01 is for international and 02 is for home, and implies otherwise. It says 01 is for private payment of fees, but 02 is for public support, without saying whether support means for fees or maintenance. I've said all this before, and even copied it, and it's obviously unclear.
Seriously, if you are that worried just apply for a maintenance loan and shove it in the bank.
Reply 11
davidne
Yes it is unclear. I get it from the UCAS form itself, which does not say 01 is for international and 02 is for home, and implies otherwise. It says 01 is for private payment of fees, but 02 is for public support, without saying whether support means for fees or maintenance. I've said all this before, and even copied it, and it's obviously unclear.
We have established now in the other thread that there are two different elements here - the international v home/EU status, and the fee status. This seems to be new this year.

Anyhow, for the OP's situation the answer is to enter 02 for both. He will have to apply to Student Finance for confirmation of his eligibility for public funding and therefore subsidised fees, but he doesn't have to accept a tuition fees loan if he doesn't want to.

Latest

Trending

Trending