Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's true though.

Save the cabbage; eat a vegan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverurie Jones)
    It's true though.

Save the cabbage; eat a vegan.
    Took longer than I expected for something like that to come out.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is certainly flawed but i guess the question of vegetarianism is very important. So i say lets change the direction of this conversation and could people please post the reasons why they choose to eat or not eat meat.
    I am a half vegetarian. I eat fish and eggs, but abstain from meat as much as possible (very hard for me, my whole family eats meat). For me i would say being a vegetarian is extremely hard as i am a muslim, so to my parents (and many other muslims) choosing not to eat meat is an insult to god, as by muslim teachings, god put animals on the planet for us to eat. Therefore by declining this, i am in effect disobeying muslim "law".
    However, the reason for why i am vegetarian is rather complex. I have heard that many people choose to abstain from meat due to not wanting to harm animals. I don't think that eating meat itself is a bad thing - i mean it happens in nature with predators. The reason why i choose to not eat meat is because i feel that eating meat today is not a natural process. If we went out and hunted for our meat in the wilderness, it would be a different matter. Unfortunately we don't. Most of meat (e.g. 95% - thats an estimate!) comes from slaughterhouses where animals are bred in the poorest conditions. There are some that breed poultry where they feed the chickens so much that when the chickens try to stand up, they can't support their own weight so their legs snap. Then many of them peck each other to death. Also they are kept in such small confined spaces.
    Another reason that has contributed to my choice of not eating meat is due to health reasons. It is healthier not to eat meat. Also it is completely possible to have a balanced diet without meat, thanks to today's science (e.g. Quorn produce). I have said though that i eat eggs and fish. The reason for this is because at the moment i am in training (physically). This means that i need much more protein than the average person, and being a full veggie wouldnt give me enough. Might sound a little hypocritical, but hey this isnt an ideal world, and sacrifices must be made.
    Now someone mentioned that veggies all want to convert the world. Well, i don't. however i do believe that people who do eat meat should consider the alternatives (for all the reasons above) and if they trully consider all the reasons surrounding this and still choose to eat meat, then i support them - at least they are not taking the ignorant choice!

Feel free to post your views on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    :wtf?:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.