The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Cos i found it hard... and wondering if the majority of the country found it hard, the grade boundaries would drop, right?
Reply 41
I did WJEC Geography.

I think they made a point of asking the most obscure things in the syllabus and phrasing questions in a very vague manner.
Reply 42
Cos i found it hard... and wondering if the majority of the country found it hard, the grade boundaries would drop, right?

Well yeah they would. But I'm not sure that the majority of the country did find it hard...sorry. :frown:
Reply 43
Oh, sorry to answer your question, I did; Settlements, Industry and Managing Resources. I hadn't really revised, ahem at all, but it went Ok.
Reply 44
For my exam (AQA A, Paper 2) I did:

Settlement (easy)
Industry (easy but vague at times)
Development, Trade and Aid (very vague)
Reply 45
For my exam (AQA A, Paper 2) I did:

Settlement (easy)
Industry (easy but vague at times)
Development, Trade and Aid (very vague)

To be honest settlement was good, but the first page confused me a tad!! "Urban Zone", I'd never heard of! I eventually realised it was referring to the Burgess and Hoyt Urban Zone models etc, but I only really know "urban zones" as the 'segments' or 'section's of the model, so I was a bit thrown! Aside from that it was ok, settlements. :smile: Did you put Inner City?

Industry...hmm...can't really remember it. Oh yeah, there was the chocolate question. Secondary Industry no? I didn't mind the linking question after it. But I agree that some of the NIC questions were a bit vague...Ok though. Just not as good as the Physical.
Reply 46
Yah - I know what you mean Zhivago - I've never reffered to Urban Land use zones as "Urban Zones". Too me about 3 minutes to suss out what they were asking... And I dropped in Hoyt and Multiple Nuclei and Burgess Models, and explained how the Burgess model was based on Chicago in 1950s (or something like that) when I had 10 minutes left at the end of the exam. And I put inner city, because of the "Works" on the right hand side of the map, and because of the narrow streets. Something like that anyway!

I thought that Industry was relatively easy, since I could use South Wales Iron/Steel industry as a case stufy for everything...

I didn't at all like the tonnes of comprehension questions they chucked into the paper - Like talking about S. Korea with some useless figures on some graphs. Oh well - Easy marks, but tedious, and not really Geography... But then I suppose they put all of the leftovers that other subjects didn't like into Geography :p:

And I agree - Physical was FAR FAR easier. I actually had to think in the Human paper... :smile:
Reply 47
And I agree - Physical was FAR FAR easier. I actually had to think in the Human paper...

lol! And I had the giggles...so I struggled to concentrate, for random reasons, I just could not stop laughing....and I honestly don't know why! But yep, they do shove all the crap stuff into Geography don't they? Have you noticed it's the easy bits of Maths, the boring bits of Chemistry, and the bits of Physics which seem out of place in the Physics syllabus (ie. tectonics!). Then you put in a bit of Citizenship/PSHE, Business Studies probably etc, stir it up, and out pops Geography Spec A!
Reply 48
lol! And I had the giggles...so I struggled to concentrate, for random reasons, I just could not stop laughing....and I honestly don't know why! But yep, they do shove all the crap stuff into Geography don't they? Have you noticed it's the easy bits of Maths, the boring bits of Chemistry, and the bits of Physics which seem out of place in the Physics syllabus (ie. tectonics!). Then you put in a bit of Citizenship/PSHE, Business Studies probably etc, stir it up, and out pops Geography Spec A!

The specification's a joke, isn't it?! It looks as though they really have made a Frankenstein of the crap from other subjects, and its only 1 page long - how could they make something so short so very dreadful?? :wink:

And what a travesty to mankind it is when a person decides to become a Geography Teacher!!

I mean, how can ANY motivation exist in regard to someone becoming a GCSE Geography teacher?

That's probably why the Geography teachers at my school (and probably most others...) are old men in tweed jackets, or very unstable unhinged (but friendly) women... :p:
typical sheep, nobody but your media are experts so nobody else is allowed an opinion, you are sheep, go and watch xavi, then watch gerrard, then laugh out loud. have you ever seen a better striker than ronaldo pre 98? is henry as good? in my opinion henry is better than ronaldo, and ronaldinho is the best technical player ever...
Reply 50
STOP WITH THE FOOTBALL!!! Please!

That's probably why the Geography teachers at my school (and probably most others...) are old men in tweed jackets, or very unstable unhinged (but friendly) women...

So true...
Reply 51
You're actually up at this time Zhivago? Lol - rather sad, isn't it....
Reply 52
I was about to say the same thing! (Not about you being sad!!), but that you were up. :p: I'm forcing myself to stay up and do Physics revision, seeing as I had a tres lazy day and did, ahem, nothing in the way of revision. So far I've done...um...nothing. Oops...my nocturnal revision plan is crumbling...
Reply 53
Hmm - I had the same hunch that I could revise at night, but then I just sort of get distracted and start talking on this depressing forum :p: !! I was supposed to be revising for my Biology and History... but similarly, my nocturnal revision plan is "crumbling" (not that there was much to crumble in the first place, but hey!:smile:)

On the bright side, there's probably some amusing teachers television on...
Reply 54
On the bright side, there's probably some amusing teachers television on...

Hilarious!! This is a running joke with the teachers in my school (yes, I do laugh at them for actually tuning in. And you henryt!!). My Head of Year tried to convince me she was leaving because she'd got a job presenting on it (she's having a baby!). It's so funny.

And yes, "crumbling" is a bad choice of word. It's late and I'm tired. *feels ashamed at use of the word "crumbling*.
Reply 55
Lol - I'll laugh at anything this late at night. Shamefully - I did actually watch one; it was about English Poems from different cultures... And it had that dreadful man from TimeTeam narrating - you know, the sort of round rotund short balding one?

Urgh - was is dreadful!
Reply 56
did ne1 do AQA spec B? I thort both papers were quite hard and generally just random...
Reply 57
Omg, so what will the grade boundaries be around to get aleast a C or a B? Bacially what are the general grade boundaries for the geog. papers, cos i got 23 out of 25 for my cousrwork, will that bring my mark a bit up?

Latest