Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So this morning I sat the Machinery of Justice and the Legal Personell papers.
    I attended lesson 30% of the time and never did a piece of work/homework (i am not proud of this, just stating the facts!).
    Im naturally very lazy and i didnt even start to revise until 2days before the exam, and to be honest, it wasnt revision but actually learning the work because I hadnt done most.

So I made a table to show all the topics and what questions came up on the past 5 papers. From this I predicted what might come up and only learnt a couple of topics from each syllabus...
    .....and it worked! Everything I thought would come up did. I thought the papers were quite fair and worded in an easy to understand way.

However............

I dont think Legal Personell went very well for me though, anyone else do this paper? I hadnt learnt anything for Juries or Lay Magistrates so was a bit restricted.
    How did anyone answer the independance of Judges question?

Be interested to find out how you all got on. x x

ReputationRep:
    I didnt find it too bad. admittedly im a bit stressed bout it coz im predicted an A so there was loads of pressure but overall it wasnt too bad. The only thing i didnt like was the question on sentencing in part A of macienary of justice. I guess i will have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    I did Mach of Justice and Sources of law today. I did the Legal Personell paper in january and got one mark off an A (suupose it doesnt matter really just the marks do)

I think I did ok in the Mach. Of Justice but fell down a few marks by not mentioning everything i needed to in the sentence questions. The Sources Of Law paper went v. good (fingers crossed!), i thought the questions were fair and what was predicted to come up came up (precedent and judicial review).

I dont know about you but i think OCR are there fairest board, they dont play tricks and they dont move the goal posts and ive always got good marks off them! I do 2 ocr subjects (avce ict and Law) and 2 AQA subjects (media and communication studies) and my marks have always been high in ocr subjects and low in AQA subjects its very wierd!

ReputationRep:
    Mine are a mixture of AQA and OCR i i have found that OCR follow more of a pattern with their exam questions which means you can predict the questions easier. I had to sit all 3 exams today as our 6th form will not let us sit any AS modules in january. It was a long 3 hours. At the end my harm felt like it was going to fall off. I didnt quite finish the machienary of justice so may have lost a few marks as i didnt finishing searching at the police station. Oh well!

ReputationRep:
    I only did the Legal Personell paper and it went pretty well... :rolleyes: thanks to my tutor's prediction...

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I sat all three exams today - Legal Personnel was a resit. Found them all okay, and the questions were very fair, so fingers crossed I can get a decent grade! Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    What kind of depth and breadth is needed to get an A at AS level?

I decided to set myself a challege and try and learn the entire A2 from scratch in less than a month (lol). This means that I've never had a paper marked. Looking at the mark schemes isn't very useful and the exemplar material seems... way too basic to be deserving of the marks awarded. 3/4 of a page of writing to get 25/30?

I also found myself repeating the source for a lot of Sources - I did delegated legislation (stupid, as I know precedent way better, and I have no idea why I did it!) and found that there wasn't much to say period, other than to elaborate and give examples... kicking myself for making a stupid choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synaesthesia)
    What kind of depth and breadth is needed to get an A at AS level?

I decided to set myself a challege and try and learn the entire A2 from scratch in less than a month (lol). This means that I've never had a paper marked. Looking at the mark schemes isn't very useful and the exemplar material seems... way too basic to be deserving of the marks awarded. 3/4 of a page of writing to get 25/30?

I also found myself repeating the source for a lot of Sources - I did delegated legislation (stupid, as I know precedent way better, and I have no idea why I did it!) and found that there wasn't much to say period, other than to elaborate and give examples... kicking myself for making a stupid choice!
    I do AQA but apparently OCR's very similar, and if that's so, you're completely right - pitifully little seems to be required for an A, so I wouldn't worry too much. It's basically a test of memory and how much you can write - although I have to say the paper we did asking us to write 5 essays on criminal law and tort in an hour was harsh. But cos of the harsh time limits and the breadth of stuff we're required to learn, the marking is lenient as far as I can make out. I learnt 3/4 of AS in 4 days and I think I probably scraped an A (fingers crossed). I expect A2 is a lot harder, but I wouldn't worry about your choice of question - usually in exams I look at both and choose the one I least like the look of, because if you know a bit less about it, it's easier to get it done in the time! Weird theory I know.

Anyway, very best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reassurance, and good luck to you too! It's nice that it has nothing at all to do with my offer, though it was the fact that my offer was so realistic in the first place which made me decide to do something so random.

I wonder what kind of standard is needed for a B or C grade then?! Ah well. Let's just see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reassurance, and good luck to you too! It's nice that it has nothing at all to do with my offer, though it was the fact that my offer was so realistic in the first place which made me decide to do something so random.

I wonder what kind of standard is needed for a B or C grade then?! Ah well. Let's just see what happens.
    Are you doing OCR A2 law?

ReputationRep:
    Er, planning to take the papers on monday. Which will probably involve cramming the criminal law modules all night sunday and hoping for the best. As a self-taught subject, law isn't too bad. The lack of time I've spent on it would be the problem!

ReputationRep:
    Er, planning to take the papers on monday. Which will probably involve cramming the criminal law modules all night sunday and hoping for the best. As a self-taught subject, law isn't too bad. The lack of time I've spent on it would be the problem!
    I'm doing criminal law too. Its so much harder than AS. I'm shocked people have the gall to call A level Law a mickey mouse subject!! I'm doing English Literature and History too and I'm finding Law tougher! Well anyway you mentioned you have exemplar material? Is that for A2? And well done to you for going it yourself; I know I couldn't!

ReputationRep:
    No, I only have exemplar for for AS. A2 looks harder than AS but I think it's harder in the objectives I'm better at (analysis and application). The only other humanities I'm taking are Politics and Economics. I'd be hard pressed to compare it to politics because I've never attempted mark-scheme pandering in politics; I know I write way over and above the A bound. But it's definitely harder than Econ - there's the same volume of material to draw together, and it's also far more precise at the same time.

I wish we had the option of taking law properly at school. And good luck for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    No, I only have exemplar for for AS. A2 looks harder than AS but I think it's harder in the objectives I'm better at (analysis and application). The only other humanities I'm taking are Politics and Economics. I'd be hard pressed to compare it to politics because I've never attempted mark-scheme pandering in politics; I know I write way over and above the A bound. But it's definitely harder than Econ - there's the same volume of material to draw together, and it's also far more precise at the same time.

I wish we had the option of taking law properly at school. And good luck for tomorrow
    Thanks and same to you. Good luck with the cramming sessions tonight

ReputationRep:
    I have my A2 law tomorrow, I got an A in the Jan exam, good luck peeps

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.