Turn on thread page Beta

Personal Statement (by internationl student)for Arts/journalism watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am from Germany and working on my application for UCAS.
    I would be very glad about any comments, advise, instruction, help...anything on my personal statement. There might be some mistakes in grammar or expression....please tell me if you find them.
    My biggest problem is as follows: I want to apply for Fashion journalism...but there aren't many options for this subject (or relevant subjects) so I am also considering to study journalism in combination with languages, Drama (Performing Arts), and Dance...
    I think it is the best to stay focused on one subject so you don't appear as a person who can't decide on one subject...but so am I. There are just some more things I love to do, than one subject. Please if you have any suggestions how to solve this problem in an elegant way I would be glad.
    I do attach my personal statement here.

When I was fourteen I began studying national and international fashion magazines, never missing a single issue. Learning from fashion related books and TV programmes I gained a good knowledge about the subject. My interest in fashion and writing did result in my decision to become a fashion editor.

After graduation from high school I did an internship at a food magazine to get an insight into professional journalism. It was a great experience to observe the development of a magazine issue. I was proud to assist the journalists in doing research and writing small articles. Furthermore I contributed ideas for topics and supported the team in designing the layout.

In October 2003 I started studying journalism at the state university in Berlin. Here I am learning the basics of journalism and what effect the medias have on people.
    To afford my studies I used to work as a secretary in a German company. Thanks to my training as a foreign correspondence secretary I gained excellent skills in computing, presentation and communication. Because of the international orientation of the company I got instructed in Business English by native speakers and the chance to work for our department in Singapore for three months. Spending half a year in the U.S. I attended acting classes taught in English and enjoyed the “American way of life”. I have always had a great interest in foreign countries, and this has been an inspiration for me to experience other cultures and talk to different kinds of people. In school I focused on languages and have since become fluent in English and French. As fashion is an international business, I believe that knowledge of different languages is essential for making a career in fashion. And I am open to improve my language knowledge in any way. In my spare time I am working hard on my dancing skills since I have been fallen in love with Oriental Dance four years ago. I am passionate about other dancing styles as well and attend acting classes regularly. So apart from writing I Drama, Dance and Music is very appealing for me as an inspiration.
    I am highly aware of the superb reputation of education in the U.K. In addition to excellent facilities I especially appreciate the fact that your studies are very practically orientated and tightly organized. I am looking forward to meeting many different people who share my passion for fashion. In addition, I would have the unique opportunity to get to know a country and it’s people from the inside. This means an enormous enrichment to my life not only in terms of my career.

Studying in the U.K: would provide me with all the skills I will need to make a successful career.

My plan for the future is to join a creative team at a high quality fashion magazine where I can show my enthusiasm for fashion and teamwork. As there is no possibility in Germany to specialize in fashion journalism I want to go on studying in the U.K.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.