Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Getting high grades has nothing to do with intelligence.
    Generally speaking, Indians (I can only generalise this race, because I’m a part of it) are pushed to study from a young age. Emphasis is on getting high grades, as many of 1st generation are either already in high positions in society (i.e. doctors), so want their offspring to exceed or meet their achievements, to uphold the family’s status.
    Or have been the few that have suffered as a consequence of racial hatred when they immigrated, and don’t want their offspring to be in the same position that they were in.

My parents fit into the former, as they are both doctors. My bother and sister both are doing medicine, so there will be 4 doctors in my family! Nothing to do with brain power, its all to do with the upbringing.

I will probably do the same as my parents when I’m a parent. I don’t want my children to follow a path that will lead to disappointment and failure. Parents that encourage their children to follow there dream, trying to become an actor, or singer make me cringe. 99.9% of the time it leads to failure, so why bother encouraging them?
    That is very true. I know for instance that Chinese people are often perceived to be "intelligent" because there is a strong scholastic tradition in their culture (please at this point let us make a clear distinction between culture and race; they are different and not intrinsically related). Their language is such that simply learning it rwquires the development of several mental faculties from an early age. And yes, you do not have to be intelligent to get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a couple of points id like to add to this interesting, least of all controversial topic.
    (1) To the person who speaks of the metaphorical whip; I think although some asian students may be pressured into taking a particular subject, the trend is on the down (Fully supporting the person who said these family pressures will be reduced in future generations)
    (2) Speaking of observations; People at my college studying subjects like Maths, Chem e.g. Hard subjects (yes,normative statement but bare with me) are mostly asains. Their parents arnt Dr's, but shop keepers or low level businessmen, so the whole "keep it in the family, son" line shoudnt always be used.
    (3) Some kids dont cope well with pressure, true, but a lack of pressure from the folks (helped) lead me to flopping my gcse's...and with a little "u can do better" im set for AAAa. So in some cases pressure can be productive (See Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations if u got 30 years spare)
    (4) Theres an eliment of prestige associated with certain subjects...which is possibly why there are so many TV shows about Dr's and what have u. So people who want to have jobs such as being Dr's and Layers do have massive incentives (including financial!) and these must not be underestimated and misunderstood as family pressure.
    (5) I'd like to make my parents proud of me, which kid doesnt? Doing med may allow this to happen. (P.S: im studying Economics...so dont get it twisted)

*uck that was long, gone 2 "revise" UNIT 6 eco.

ReputationRep:
    I will probably do the same as my parents when I’m a parent. I don’t want my children to follow a path that will lead to disappointment and failure. Parents that encourage their children to follow there dream, trying to become an actor, or singer make me cringe. 99.9% of the time it leads to failure, so why bother encouraging them?
    **Disclaimer: I do not want to be an actor or singer.**

Why not? My parents have always encouraged me to do what I want. I have my eyes set on a seat on the green benches and though its probably more likely than not that I won't be an MP in 10 years time, why not try? "Failures are those who give up - never stop trying".

ReputationRep:
    Sorry just read my own post, meant to say there is NO proof that Indians are naturally more intelligent (my point being they perform better because they work harder).

ReputationRep:
    I'm Chinese, and I speak from my personal experience, and I'm fairly certain this applies across the general Chinese community.

The primary reason why a fair chunk of Chinese end up as doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. is because they want to succeed. Simple as that, but it doesn't end there. Chinese culture and upbringing have always taught that a good education will lead to prestigious (i.e. professional) occupation, which leads to success, emotionally and perhaps more critically, financially. It has always been the case that Chinese have always tended to play on the safe side of the border especially with financial issues, and while dropping out of college and forming a multinational corporation can lead to IMMENSE wealth (as the evil one Bill Gates has shown), it is obviously and clearly not the safest option, and hence, Chinese have a tendency towards "safer" occupations which provide a respectable income. In summary, education is hailed by Chinese as THE way to success. There is, and probably never will be proof, in any form, of that last statement, so don't ask for one.

I am uncertain about the reasonings behind the strong academic performance of Indians, but there is definitely one link between the two races - discipline. A large majority of Chinese and Indian parents exercise what may be considered "restrictive conditioning" by White parents. My parents don't do this anymore, but when I was younger my parents did make me study, even if it was against my will, and I believe this would not be dissimilar from the "conditioning" Indian parents put their children too. In hindsight, I am most definitely appreciative of their efforts, but I'm not gonna go into all that emotional blabber right now.

Okay, if you can't be bothered to read all that jibberish, I'll sum it up for you. The primary reasoning behind strong Chinese academic performance is the upbringing and culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potjaz)
    Before i start, all stupid people read the following. All clever folk move on to the second paragraph. IT IS NOT RASCIST TO COMMENT ON OBSERVATIONS?YEH??

Is it just at my school, or do 99% of asians want to do medecin or be a lawyer..

I suspect the metaphorical whip from pushy parents...
    id say about 70% at my school are off to do medecine or dentistry degrees. The rest are doing economics or maths

ReputationRep:
    asian parents probably have high hopes for their offspring.. it prides them to be able to tell another relative that my son is going to become a so-and-so.. its asian pride.. im asian myself and dont have a problem with this.. on the one condition.. i get to decide what i want to study.. and if that makes my parents proud - so be it..

ReputationRep:
    i do want to do medicine, and am asian. but its because i want to do it. right now, it's the most challenging thing i can think of to do, and that's why i am drawn towards it.
    my asian friend was forced into doing bio and chem a levels, and now she is basically not doing too well, and obviously hasnt applied for medicine but accountancy like she wanted to in the first place (i dont get why her parents didnt want her doing accountancy)
    i think that there is definatly pressure from parents and more often than not from asian parents to take up one of the main big professions, but not from all of them. i have just always been academically focused, and find education to be crucial to growth as a person, my parents didnt really like the idea of me doing a Latin A Level, but they didnt stop me from doing it either.
    i dont think asian kids are naturally more intelligent, as there is no proof of that whatsoever. maybe because they are pushed harder sometimes they tend to do better. but i think that those students who work hard will do well, regardless of race or gender. i have seen this happen constantly at school- student isnt doing too great, student works very, very hard, student starts getting better grades.
    "genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration"

ReputationRep:
    Bull, Bull, Bull!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not purposefully being racist here either.

Asian parents are different to those who are culturally unaware. They are protective of their children and have very high hopes of them excelling, they push us when we are young because it's their duty, so that we can enjoy life to the full when we have a good income and a good home. They want their kids to do well in school.

They love us in a different way. And I truely love my parentts for the way they have brought me up. I'm DIFFERENT to my friends. I have a very emotional nature due to my upbringing. My parents taught me to be good. I like the way that I am.

It's in Asian GENES that we're often good at maths, and our parents push us to be strong in our sciences. That's why Asians end up doing the careers that they choose. My sister has just graduated from medicine. She's really cool. She wasnt forced into medicine she simply liked sciences and was good at maths.

The ones who are good at English instead to Law. Some do accountancy if theire mathematical. This is all stereotypical, of course. I have asian friends who do design and arts at uni, for example.

Our parents want us to get good jobs, and since we're all sciencey, we end up doing Medicine... well some of us do, I personally want to study something different My parents probably want me to do Medicine because it's the only thing they know.

Unless you're Asian, or have a different culture and can accept that there are just some things that you couldn't possibly understand about a culture that is not your own, because you too have thigns you could never possibly explain, then you don't get it. And never will. So I'm not going to bother to TRY to explain most things about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martins)
    Bull, Bull, Bull!
    wtf are YOU on?

ReputationRep:
    im asian...and yeh i wanna do medicine but i guess thts jus a coincedince....im sure my parents wudnt mind me doin sumin else, but if im doin medicine and theyre proud of me...then bonus i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midzt)
    Why is it unfortunate that they want to go into medicine?

It basically just their culture, and we really shouldn't be judging them. They gernally work harder and achieve higher acadiemically. I know there are few stories of some students being pushed so hard they want to/have commit suicide, but that is very few.

I wasn't really sure why you put it was unforutunate and in what sense, is it unfortunate we have Asian doctors or unforutnate that they may be being pushed into it?
    Unfortunate that they are pushed into it and not given more choice (they may enjoy something more, for instance).

ReputationRep:
    did anyone seee what i put?

also...
    (Original post by OliverPJ)
    I doubt that many indian teenagers work rigorously with the sole intention of succeeding so that they may overcome 'unfair trade rules' set out by the UK. It is more likely that they are striving to achieve their aspirations because they want social and financial security.
    very true.

ReputationRep:
    They also don't let us out much.

"Ma can I go to Vicky's house after school on Friday?"

"No you have got your GCSE exams in less than one year. And you must also go to your piano lesson. Where the time comes from do you have it?"

(yes i know thats badly grammar. it was part of the joke. but i do love them )

ReputationRep:
    My dad is from hong kong and he says the reason chinese people in hong kong work so hard is because unless they do, there is no future. A chinese kid from hong kong of the age of 13 is sucessfully able to cope with AS maths. We don't do that till we're 16.

I was brought up in the UK, I did not get any A*'s in GCSE, my dad could not understand why. This was possibly due to teachers and the expectation as well as me being lazy and going out too much with friends. In hong kong the kids don't go out as much, but study continously. Therefore the different cultures and way of life is an important factor. In the Uk you get unemployment benefits, but in hong kong you get nothing, so they have to resort to intense studying.

Yes, some people are naturally smart and get high grades without much work, but anyone who study lots is still capable of obtaining the same grades. Perhaps the reason I only got a B in GCSE chemistry is mayybe due to gentics; my mum had no education when younger. But I trained my self, worked hard and got an A in my chemsitry AS mock. (Getting results in august) I was 1 of 2 people to get an A in the mock, no one get a B a few got C's and the rest got below C. What does this tell you? That my school is crap!

Asians are not smarter, but want to suceed in life to a further extent. For example I know an asian who has a medicine and dentistry degree! I also know a white friend who works in morrisions, hes happy working in morrisons, whats wrong with that? Pressure has something to do with sucess, but I know an asian who got AAAA in A-level who had no pressure at all as his dad passed away. I therefore think that the parenthood of different cultures is varied, (not trying to be rascist) an Asian father would be dissappointed if his son worked in morrisons.

My dad's expectations are a bit more relaxed, he wants me to do medicine or pharmacy, a job which is guarenteed, but he says its completely my decision. All he wants is for me to try my best and he couldn't expect any more of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    A chinese kid from hong kong of the age of 13 is sucessfully able to cope with AS maths. We don't do that till we're 16.
    Christ.

Let me give you a *hug* because I can relate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sona)
    It's in Asian GENES that we're often good at maths
    Its also in the Asian GENES to do what the world knows and hates your for! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    dont say Paki.. Paki is a bad word.. say Pakistani..
    erm well it means clean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilal786)
    erm well it means clean?
    No, Pak* is a racial derogative.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.