Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris.)
    Doesn't surprise me that a lot of Asians wish to become doctors, hadn't realised it was similar with Law though.

A medical degree is a sure-fire way to be earning 100k give or take a few grand 10 years after leaving uni and a relatively huge starting salary. It's got a good societal reputation as a career.

lol, you dont even earn >£100k as a consultant!
    My dad is a consultant psychiatrist and earns about £70k, and he is 50 something. And he has to work pretty hard for that.
    Medicine is not the career to go into for the money. There are other areas, like dentistry and Investment banking that require less work, and you get high wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sona)
    oh dont be so touchy.
    i know im generalising, but it's true a lot of asians are good at maths. i wasnt being pretentious or anything. theres a lot of things im bad at too.
    Yes they are, but your imputation that this ability is genetic is what I dispute. Yet I in no way deny the prepondarance of asian people out there who possess mathematical ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    My dad is a consultant psychiatrist and earns about £70k, and he is 50 something. And he has to work pretty hard for that.
    Medicine is not the career to go into for the money. There are other areas, like dentistry and Investment banking that require less work, and you get high wages.
    I am often surprised that people should choose the medical profession (specifically that of GP) as a "big-bucks" option, because there are several other careers which earn more money much sooner. Law I believe is oneof them.

ReputationRep:
    im indjian and i have no clue what i want to do with a career, i would never have choosen doctor or lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    There is extensive (albeit contentious) research suggesting that mathematical ability can vary by racial group, certain groups have greater ability to cope with numbers; the same applies for spatial awareness, verbal reasoning etc. However, if any genetic variations do exist, they are very minimal, given that as someone else pointed out, Indians are the most successful groups educationally in Britain after the Chinese, whereas Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are the least, which suggests that variations are largely based on cultural (influenced by religious) factors.
    With all due respect, however much you may know about this, I have read a fair deal on it too, and mathematical ability is controlled by culture not genes. It is affected by such things as complexity of language (one reason why Chinese people are generally seen to excel at maths and technical disciplines), reading age, early stimulation etc, all things which are cutlurally based. It is entirely cultural rather than racial, yet I do believe that these variations you speak of can be detected. But it would be misleading to say it is on a racial basis - i.e. genetic. As you point out,t he genetic similarity between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis with Indians and (albeit less so) Chinese, would indicate to me that genes have very little indeed to do with it. So yes I would agree with you to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Your wrong if you think IB doesn't require a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    Well its a hell of a lot easier to become an IB than a doctor. Medicine takes 5 years of rigorous study, where as you can get into IB with a standard 3 year degree in something like economics.
    However it is arguable which job is generally more stressful. I would say working in a hospital in A&E is a lot more stressful than moving your clients money around. The hours are longer in medicine, and the pay is significantly less, and you are responsible for a peoples lives.

ReputationRep:
    The statement he made was a comparative between medicine and IB. Not a generalisation that IB doesn't require much work.

ReputationRep:
    My mum was gutted when I said i wouldn't go to oxbridge if they paid me, she was equally disgusted when I said I'm doing economics rather than medicine. I feel so rebellious

p.s with the IB thing, I read those in that profession are more likely to die of heart attacks than any other career...

ReputationRep:
    lol i've had endless discussions on this topic, i am asian (indian) and am not studying the typical! it's great seeing peoples' reaction when asked what do I study

ReputationRep:
    im asian too goddammit and its tru!!! whats wrong with us ppl?!?!i was thinkin bout law.. def. not medicine tho
    decided to go into economics tho... my sisters doin medicine tho lol..
    i think that asian people happen to be more ambitious on average.. if u do have a shred of intelligence u'll be pushed to do well n go into law or wateva..

ReputationRep:
    i think a lot of it is generations being passed down. the pushiness isnt ncessarily a bad thing. its just parents teachers what they know, like i said, they want us to be good at science and maths. they teach us what they know and the way they think is what makes them want us to do well. when they think of their children, theyre thinking of their entire futures... and law and medicine are, if you like, safe ways that they know their children will be successful. and the children normally grasp an interest in these branches due to being good at maths , english or science... if you get what im saying.

though there will be exceptions in every case

ReputationRep:
    yes the safe route bla bla bla, my parents are driving me mad with their constant lectures about whats best for my future, just because i happen to be good at maths and science they have decided i have to chose from either medicine or finance. i know they just want whats best for me but this isn't it, i want to go to a music college and become a piano performer, but no, it got to be medicine or finance. sorry to be so bitter about this, im sure not every asian parent are like this lol

ReputationRep:
    I think its down the the hard-working ethos of asian families - they want their children to reach their full potential and succeed. I guess medicine, law and finance tend to be the most popular choices but perhaps thats because of the emphasis put on maths by asians which causes their children to develop strong skill in that field.

I personally never felt pressured into any particular career path. However, I felt that I was good at Maths and Sciences and so pursued this at Alevel and am now looking towards a career in finance ofter I graduate.

I guess there may be some kids who feel pressurised - but I'm sure if they sat down and talked about it with their parents then they could work it out.

(I guess my view only applies to indians though - i'm not sure whether/ how pakistani/bangladeshi etc parents push thei children into certain career paths)

ReputationRep:
    haha funny thread.... but...

My brother is going into Electronics Engineering and I`m gonna hopefully go into Computer science =)

No Business, Law or Medicine

ReputationRep:
    am i the only asian here that is applying for/studying history???

but my parents (my dad, really) want me to do law. they wanted me to do medicine too but none of my A levels have anything to do with science (jus scraped a C at gcse).

yeah, i think its mostly to do with parents. i usually jus do wat they tel me to, but i am definately not doing law (hope i get a good grade for it tho). but here, most asians at college seem to do business, not law or medicine. as for history... my friend and i r the only ones i can think of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous_xx)
    am i the only asian here that is applying for/studying history???

but my parents (my dad, really) want me to do law. they wanted me to do medicine too but none of my A levels have anything to do with science (jus scraped a C at gcse).

yeah, i think its mostly to do with parents. i usually jus do wat they tel me to, but i am definately not doing law (hope i get a good grade for it tho). but here, most asians at college seem to do business, not law or medicine. as for history... my friend and i r the only ones i can think of
    Good for you!

ReputationRep:
    in not doin law or medicine.. im doin philosophy.. and i hear that bruce lee studied philo and look how he turned out.. !! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    i am doing geography and economics, but my parents wanted me to do accounting and finance

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.