Leg exercises Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hayley_2k4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I have like the worst legs in the world, they are so fat, and just... wobbly. Ugh. Being it’s summer soon, I really need to get my legs into a half decent state (every summer, I always end up hiding around the house in big baggy pants)
Does anyone have any idea how I can make my legs look a little better? Maybe some toning exercises?
I really would be grateful, as I’m desperate here. Lol.

thanks
Naxalite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lose weight first... fat does not turn to muscle. Any toning exercises would be a waste cos you will have fat covering it, possibly even more fat because as you work out you need to eat more and hence you build muscle and a little fat.
rock_tenth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
do squats and deadlifts, to ****

omg no!! not WEIGHTS!!! I WILL BECOME T3h MANXx0rR!11oone
bilb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was under the impression you can't spot target areas of fat on the body. Well I got the same problem, I've just cut out as much fat from my diet as possible. Max of 10g of saturated fats, 30g max in total per day. Then fill up on carbs. Oh and do lots and lots of exercise (cycling, swimming, jogging, etc). I'm no expert, but thats the general idea I got from a lot of googling
clairey87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Walking and running will do your legs the world of good....you'll notice the difference in 2 weeks if you do just 2 miles a day!
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
and cycling... just don't overdo it, too much muscle isn't attractive either!
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Walk dont run. Because next you will be moaning about thunder thighs if you start running
Ron Stoppable
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by clairey87)
Walking and running will do your legs the world of good....you'll notice the difference in 2 weeks if you do just 2 miles a day!
Hey Hayley,

This has taken me most of my dinner cooking time (when I could have been playing football, grrr) to come up with, piece together, edit, etc so try not to complain! Our resident stunning leggy advicemeister Lauren may have more to add.. bonus for you!

Running.. meep meep!

ONLY do 2-3 miles a day, any more and you're not helping them tone.
Any toner/muscle-builder will tell you that economy is so important, so don't go sweating your guts out - you want a muscular workout not a cardiovascular-focused one.

Cellulite

If there's any hint of cellulite ground up coffee beans in just enough water for them to remain solid, then rub and massage onto your leg where needed for 5-10 mins at night before rinsing off.

Looking Goooood

Self-tan. It's the most efficient way to put blemishes like spider veins and stretch marks under cover. Use a tinted formula to avoid streaks.

Rely on lunges and squats. They're a tried-and-true way to get long, lean and strong legs.

Forego tights. Unless you're at a very conservative school, skip tights on hot summer days. Tanned, hair-free legs look just as smart under a sassy skirt.

Try spray oil. Ever had that "urgh, it's melting on me, feeling"? I have - not cool :cool: Moisturiser is key in keeping legs silky, but heavy lotions can get goopy in the heat. Try a spray-on oil gloss to moisturize in steamy weather. The bonus: It gives legs a sexy sheen.

Wear heels. Even one-inch kitten heels make legs look longer and leaner.

Avoid razor burn. Chlorine, sun and high temperatures can make the skin on legs more prone to post-shave stinging and rashes. Use a lotion containing aloe vera to soothe (or put it in the fridge to really cool your skin).

Beat bumps. This does not mean smash spots to smithereens - don't do that. They can occur because of a condition called keratosis pilaris or as a result of ingrown hairs. To avoid them, exfoliate legs with a grainy scrub in the shower, and use a lotion with alpha hydroxy acids (read the labels, a bit of a habit for (ex) a level chemistry bods ) once a week.

Add some flare. Dress like Steps! Ok, not Steps then :p: Skirts that flare a bit - think A-lines, upside down Vs - make legs look slimmer and more shapely.

Cover blemishes that really bother you. Most veins and marks can be camouflaged by self-tan, but if you have blemishes that make you wary of wearing shorts and skirts, use a body makeup (get chatting to you new friends at Boots and Superdrug!) to make them invisible.

Add some sparkle. Do not go overboard and do "a Kemal". For evening, smooth a shimmering lotion over your legs, or make your own by adding gold makeup powder to your regular lotion before application.

Tootsies

As you're getting fabulous legs, you may as well get pretty feet with a quick pedicure. It’ll leave your feet looking more than ready for the sandal wearing season. 3 easy steps:
1) Use nail polish remover and cotton wool to remove all traces of polish and then give your feet a good scrub with soap and water. Dry them off and use a pumice stone (available from the chemist) to buff away hard, dead skin.
2) Use nail clippers to trim your nails. Cut straight across (not in a curve) and not too short. Smooth away any sharp edges with a nail file and then apply moisturiser all over your foot (except on the nail).
3) Wedge cotton wool balls between your toes and paint the nail with your chosen colour - hint for Loopz: red and yellow and pink and greeeen; orange and purple and bluuuue, paint your nails a raaainbow, your nails a raaainbow, paint your nails a raaainbow, Luuu. Anyway, for a deep colour paint on two coats and keep a Q-tip dipped in nail varnish remover handy to clean up mistakes and smudges.

If you're still stuck for ideas, I'll waive my fee for a personal consultation for the first session... all you'll have to do to repay me is take me cheapish-but-cool-leather-jacket shopping in and around London

Roger that? Over...
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hayley_2k4)
I have like the worst legs in the world, they are so fat, and just... wobbly. Ugh. Being it’s summer soon, I really need to get my legs into a half decent state (every summer, I always end up hiding around the house in big baggy pants)
Does anyone have any idea how I can make my legs look a little better? Maybe some toning exercises?
I really would be grateful, as I’m desperate here. Lol.

thanks
I'd recomment running, it's the only thing really. Just go for a walk (hopefully you live near the countryside or somewhere where not many people are) and when no one's looking just run as far as you can. Then walk a bit and then run again ... and so on... otherwise if you have enough room you can get a skipping rope and do that at home. Time yourself and try to get better each time. Do some stretching in between to loosen up the muscles.
joshdajoker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You cant spot reduce fat. Lose bodyfat, so diet and cardio exercise required.

Then do weights to tone your legs.

YES WEIGHTS

You will not turn into arnold schwarzeneggar by doing a few weights. For a start you barely have any testosterone and if it was really that easy dont you think a lot more men would be muscular?

Machine weights are pretty good for toning. 5 sets of 10 on each muscle. gogogogogogo
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by feelthesunshine)
Self-tan. It's the most efficient way to put blemishes like spider veins and stretch marks under cover. Use a tinted formula to avoid streaks.
stretch marks as in pregnancy marks? those little, white annyoing lines? I HATE those! :eek: If this works I'll rep you every time I can, been trying to get rid of them, but they don't go away (well, obviously they'll never go away, the skins broken, but I don't want them to show )
rock_tenth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Stretch marks have all faded on me, but im really pale I think they jsut dont show up being white
joshdajoker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Erm feelthesunshine your telling someone who has fat legs not to do cardio? You have any idea what you are talking about? To lose fat you MUST do cardio. To tone Muscle you MUST lift weights/ do resistance exercises.

THERE NO MIRACE CREAM OR LOTION. NO MIRACLE DIET ALTHOUGH A GOOD ONE WILL AID EXERCISE NO END!
Ron Stoppable
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Adarah)
stretch marks as in pregnancy marks? those little, white annyoing lines? I HATE those! :eek: If this works I'll rep you every time I can, been trying to get rid of them, but they don't go away (well, obviously they'll never go away, the skins broken, but I don't want them to show )
Adarah, anyone can get stretch marks, from pregnancy or otherwise. It's much more common than I'd previously thought, so knowing how to hide them can come in quite useful

I've got weird ones on my left knee cap that look like I've been sponsored by adidas or something! All the more strange as I've always been slim/toned - as B*witched so, ahem, cleverly put it: C'est la Vie! :rolleyes:

And don't worry about repping me - once will do. This is only the internet.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by someonementallyunstable)
Wedge cotton wool balls between your toes and paint the nail with your chosen colour - hint for Loopz: red and yellow and pink and greeeen; orange and purple and bluuuue, paint your nails a raaainbow, your nails a raaainbow, paint your nails a raaainbow, Luuu. Anyway, for a deep colour paint on two coats and keep a Q-tip dipped in nail varnish remover handy to clean up mistakes and smudges.
:eek:
And how does painting you toenails detract from having fat legs? Not that Hayley_2k4 does I'm sure- don't hide away in trousers, people are usually too worried about what they look like than how others do.
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
'Thighs, bums and tums' classes at your local fitness centre. Worked for me. However, I cannot quite work out how one makes one's legs longer.

Oh, and somebody should sue Rosemary Conley - remember the Hip and Thigh Diet?
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Naxalite)
lose weight first... fat does not turn to muscle. Any toning exercises would be a waste cos you will have fat covering it, possibly even more fat because as you work out you need to eat more and hence you build muscle and a little fat.
It's quite possible for someone to be of normal weight or even underweight and for their weight to be unevenly distributed.
Hayley_2k4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by feelthesunshine)
Hey Hayley,

This has taken me most of my dinner cooking time (when I could have been playing football, grrr) to come up with, piece together, edit, etc so try not to complain! Our resident stunning leggy advicemeister Lauren may have more to add.. bonus for you!

Running.. meep meep!

ONLY do 2-3 miles a day, any more and you're not helping them tone.
Any toner/muscle-builder will tell you that economy is so important, so don't go sweating your guts out - you want a muscular workout not a cardiovascular-focused one.

Cellulite

If there's any hint of cellulite ground up coffee beans in just enough water for them to remain solid, then rub and massage onto your leg where needed for 5-10 mins at night before rinsing off.

Looking Goooood

Rely on lunges and squats. They're a tried-and-true way to get long, lean and strong legs.

Forego tights. Unless you're at a very conservative school, skip tights on hot summer days. Tanned, hair-free legs look just as smart under a sassy skirt.

Try spray oil. Ever had that "urgh, it's melting on me, feeling"? I have - not cool :cool: Moisturiser is key in keeping legs silky, but heavy lotions can get goopy in the heat. Try a spray-on oil gloss to moisturize in steamy weather. The bonus: It gives legs a sexy sheen.

Wear heels. Even one-inch kitten heels make legs look longer and leaner.

Avoid razor burn. Chlorine, sun and high temperatures can make the skin on legs more prone to post-shave stinging and rashes. Use a lotion containing aloe vera to soothe (or put it in the fridge to really cool your skin).

Beat bumps. This does not mean smash spots to smithereens - don't do that. They can occur because of a condition called keratosis pilaris or as a result of ingrown hairs. To avoid them, exfoliate legs with a grainy scrub in the shower, and use a lotion with alpha hydroxy acids (read the labels, a bit of a habit for (ex) a level chemistry bods ) once a week.

Add some flare. Dress like Steps! Ok, not Steps then :p: Skirts that flare a bit - think A-lines, upside down Vs - make legs look slimmer and more shapely.

Cover blemishes that really bother you. Most veins and marks can be camouflaged by self-tan, but if you have blemishes that make you wary of wearing shorts and skirts, use a body makeup (get chatting to you new friends at Boots and Superdrug!) to make them invisible.

Add some sparkle. Do not go overboard and do "a Kemal". For evening, smooth a shimmering lotion over your legs, or make your own by adding gold makeup powder to your regular lotion before application.

Tootsies

As you're getting fabulous legs, you may as well get pretty feet with a quick pedicure. It’ll leave your feet looking more than ready for the sandal wearing season. 3 easy steps:
1) Use nail polish remover and cotton wool to remove all traces of polish and then give your feet a good scrub with soap and water. Dry them off and use a pumice stone (available from the chemist) to buff away hard, dead skin.
2) Use nail clippers to trim your nails. Cut straight across (not in a curve) and not too short. Smooth away any sharp edges with a nail file and then apply moisturiser all over your foot (except on the nail).
3) Wedge cotton wool balls between your toes and paint the nail with your chosen colour - hint for Loopz: red and yellow and pink and greeeen; orange and purple and bluuuue, paint your nails a raaainbow, your nails a raaainbow, paint your nails a raaainbow, Luuu. Anyway, for a deep colour paint on two coats and keep a Q-tip dipped in nail varnish remover handy to clean up mistakes and smudges.

If you're still stuck for ideas, I'll waive my fee for a personal consultation for the first session... all you'll have to do to repay me is take me cheapish-but-cool-leather-jacket shopping in and around London

Roger that? Over...

thank you xxx
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bilb)
I was under the impression you can't spot target areas of fat on the body. Well I got the same problem, I've just cut out as much fat from my diet as possible. Max of 10g of saturated fats, 30g max in total per day. Then fill up on carbs.
no this is bad
if you fill up on carbs you will not lose weight
1. carbs can be converted to fat
2. to lose fat you must make your body burn fat for energy, which isnt gonna happen when you have lots of carbs
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its true you can't spot reduce fat, however if you increase your lean muscle mass in an area and don't increase the amount of fat you have, it will look better, if that makes sense.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (138)
38.33%
No - but I will (20)
5.56%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (176)
48.89%

Watched Threads