Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What does x e R mean? In my book it says: X is a member of the set of real numbers. What are real numbers?

Can anyone tell what the range of these functions are, with domain x e R:

a) f(x) = x²-1

b) g(x) = (x-1)²

c) h(x) = x³ + 3x

Thank you....sorry if they seem like simple questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushu)
    What does x e R mean? In my book it says: X is a member of the set of real numbers. What are real numbers?

Can anyone tell what the range of these functions are, with domain x e R:

a) f(x) = x²-1

b) g(x) = (x-1)²

c) h(x) = x³ + 3x

Thank you....sorry if they seem like simple questions.
    im not sure about the proper definition but real numbers are all numbers that you can think of, negative and positive, rational or irrational.

1) range is f(x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to -1 (i cant find the sign)

2) range is f(x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0

3) range is all real numbers

ReputationRep:
    A real number is just any rational or irrational number (that exists, it doesnt include complex numbers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    im not sure about the proper definition but real numbers are all numbers that you can think of, negative and positive, rational or irrational.

1) range is f(x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to -1 (i cant find the sign)

2) range is f(x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0

3) range is all real numbers

Thanks for that. I don't understand how you get the range, i know its the y values but can u just tell me how u got them

ReputationRep:
    for:

a) you just look what the minimum value is. Anything that is squared becomes positive, so the minimum value of x^2 is 0. when x = 0, the value of y is -1, therefore the range is any number greater than -1.

b)Again, if calculation inside the brackets is negative, it will become positive, so the minimum value is when the calculation of the brackets is zero, i.e x-1 = 0, when x is eual to 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushu)
    Thanks for that. I don't understand how you get the range, i know its the y values but can u just tell me how u got them
    for quadratics, its best to have it in completed square form, then you can see the minimum or maximum point.
    eg, for the first one x²-1,
    x² has the minimum y value of 0. x²-1 is just translated (moved) 1 unit down.
    so the minum y value becomes -1. there is no maximum value so y can take any value above or equal to -1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushu)
    I find it easiest to sketch the graphs of the functions in your head.

If necessary use calculus to find max/min points to give an answer.

You may also want to see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t120438.html where I (and others) answer this question more fully.

ReputationRep:
    General method: To differentiate function, and find turning points and find the minimum/ maximum point of the function. Then deduce the range.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.