Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was workin on ma pc last night (after loads of crashes etc) and it was finally workin.

Then all of a sudden about 45 minutes later this blue and white screen came up and told em to restart it. so i rebooted it but it wudnt laod up. i kept tryin but it wudnt work.

What do i do??? what is it??? exam work and coursework is all on there!!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you been doing anything with your registry?

When your computer starts to load up press F8 loads of times so you come up with a menu, try booting in safe mode, if that doesn't work repeat the process and try the last good configuration instead.

If that doesn't work get your XP cd or whatever your operating system is, and put it in your computer and try and boot your computer up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Have you been doing anything with your registry?

When your computer starts to load up press F8 loads of times so you come up with a menu, try booting in safe mode, if that doesn't work repeat the process and try the last good configuration instead.

If that doesn't work get your XP cd or whatever your operating system is, and put it in your computer and try and boot your computer up.
    wot do i do in safe mode?

and im on XP... i dont think the bloke who delivered ma pc (froma catologue) left the disk. if he did then iv lost it...

ReputationRep:
    First see if you can boot in to your computer using safe mode, that's the first hurdle. If you can, you can access your work. Do you know what the error said?

The best thing to do would probably to try the last good configuration first. Have you put anything new on your computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    wot do i do in safe mode?

and im on XP... i dont think the bloke who delivered ma pc (froma catologue) left the disk. if he did then iv lost it...
    i was gonna say get ur work and print it..but i dont think it loads printer and other hardware drivers etc...so i think u will have to use the system restor tool and restore ur computer to the last working setting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    i think u will have to use the system restor tool and restore ur computer to the last working setting.
    how? will i need an XP disk?

ReputationRep:
    how? will i need an XP disk?

no

go to start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.

chose a date from the calendar when ur computer worked fine.

ReputationRep:
    no

go to start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.

chose a date from the calendar when ur computer worked fine.
    so that might fix it?

ReputationRep:
    so that might fix it?
    hopefully. give it a try..takes about 5 mins.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully. give it a try..takes about 5 mins.
    wot will happen then?

ReputationRep:
    But she said she can't even boot into windows so that information is useless. You need to press F8 when your computer is loading and then you'll have a screen with options such as start in safe mode, start in VGA mode, use last known good configuration. Use the arrow keys to go to last known good configuration and press return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    But she said she can't even boot into windows so that information is useless. You need to press F8 when your computer is loading and then you'll have a screen with options such as start in safe mode, start in VGA mode, use last known good configuration. Use the arrow keys to go to last known good configuration and press return.

she said "what do i do in safe mode"..so i thought she had already done ur bit.

so..press keep tappin f8 when ur computer is booting up..try the last best working config..if that works then ur ok..if not reboot. keep tappin f8 again..this time go to safe mode. then do the system restore.

ReputationRep:
    She's not even by her computer at the moment, she's most likely at college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    She's not even by her computer at the moment, she's most likely at college.
    heyheyhey! stop arguein! lol

yeh i am at college and il try all this wen i get home tonight,but what does keep pressin F8 do? wot will happen?

ReputationRep:
    It's ok we're not arguing i was just pointing out that you're not at the stage to start doing system restore.

So when you press F8, a black screen will come up with white writing. There will be options such as start computer in safe mode, start in VGA mode, use last know good configuration. You'll see what i mean.

What you first want to try is the last good configuration to boot into your PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    What you first want to try is the last good configuration to boot into your PC.
    kk thanks. then wot will i do after then? im not v,good with pcs u c

ReputationRep:
    If it works, you shouldn't really have to do anything.

Have you been loading anything new up on your computer over the last few days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    If it works, you shouldn't really have to do anything.

Have you been loading anything new up on your computer over the last few days?
    well it started happenin after i dowlaoded somethin off a cd. orgionally from the interent....

do i always av to load it up like that from now on then?

ReputationRep:
    If it works, you shouldn't have to. You'll have to see tonight, or whenver you are near your computer what happens. But take a note of the error if you see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    If it works, you shouldn't have to. You'll have to see tonight, or whenver you are near your computer what happens. But take a note of the error if you see it.
    so from then on, every time i switch it on it will load up safely?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.