Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    Could people please post the reasons why they choose to eat or not eat meat? I think it makes for an interesting topic (thanks for Brutus for inspiring me to start this thread )

I am a half vegetarian. I eat fish and eggs, but abstain from meat as much as possible (very hard for me, my whole family eats meat). For me i would say being a vegetarian is extremely hard as i am a muslim, so to my parents (and many other muslims) choosing not to eat meat is an insult to god, as by muslim teachings, god put animals on the planet for us to eat. Therefore by declining this, i am in effect disobeying muslim "law".
    However, the reason for why i am vegetarian is rather complex. I have heard that many people choose to abstain from meat due to not wanting to harm animals. I don't think that eating meat itself is a bad thing - i mean it happens in nature with predators. The reason why i choose to not eat meat is because i feel that eating meat today is not a natural process. If we went out and hunted for our meat in the wilderness, it would be a different matter. Unfortunately we don't. Most of meat (e.g. 95% - thats an estimate!) comes from slaughterhouses where animals are bred in the poorest conditions. There are some that breed poultry where they feed the chickens so much that when the chickens try to stand up, they can't support their own weight so their legs snap. Then many of them peck each other to death. Also they are kept in such small confined spaces.
    Another reason that has contributed to my choice of not eating meat is due to health reasons. It is healthier not to eat meat. Also it is completely possible to have a balanced diet without meat, thanks to today's science (e.g. Quorn produce). I have said though that i eat eggs and fish. The reason for this is because at the moment i am in training (physically). This means that i need much more protein than the average person, and being a full veggie wouldnt give me enough. Might sound a little hypocritical, but hey this isnt an ideal world, and sacrifices must be made.
    Now someone mentioned that veggies all want to convert the world. Well, i don't. however i do believe that people who do eat meat should consider the alternatives (for all the reasons above) and if they trully consider all the reasons surrounding this and still choose to eat meat, then i support them - at least they are not taking the ignorant choice!

Feel free to post your views on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Meat is Yumy
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    hasn't this thread been done? How many veggie threads to we need people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    hasn't this thread been done? How many veggie threads to we need people.
    I thought that we had already but what the heck....

btw, BLACH HAWK is the nick name i put on my senior school jaket
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    was that something to do with me or a freaky coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if this thread has been done before, but i am a new member (check my profile - i joined yesterday!).
    So if someone could send me the link of an old thread of this topic i will be very grateful
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    so being a new member is an excuse? There is a veggie society, a veggie thread 2 down and I bet if you went to the second or third page there would be another one. It's all the same topic so is there really a need for multiple threads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuber)
    Hello.
    Could people please post the reasons why they choose to eat or not eat meat? I think it makes for an interesting topic (thanks for Brutus for inspiring me to start this thread )

I am a half vegetarian. I eat fish and eggs, but abstain from meat as much as possible (very hard for me, my whole family eats meat). For me i would say being a vegetarian is extremely hard as i am a muslim, so to my parents (and many other muslims) choosing not to eat meat is an insult to god, as by muslim teachings, god put animals on the planet for us to eat. Therefore by declining this, i am in effect disobeying muslim "law".
    However, the reason for why i am vegetarian is rather complex. I have heard that many people choose to abstain from meat due to not wanting to harm animals. I don't think that eating meat itself is a bad thing - i mean it happens in nature with predators. The reason why i choose to not eat meat is because i feel that eating meat today is not a natural process. If we went out and hunted for our meat in the wilderness, it would be a different matter. Unfortunately we don't. Most of meat (e.g. 95% - thats an estimate!) comes from slaughterhouses where animals are bred in the poorest conditions. There are some that breed poultry where they feed the chickens so much that when the chickens try to stand up, they can't support their own weight so their legs snap. Then many of them peck each other to death. Also they are kept in such small confined spaces.
    Another reason that has contributed to my choice of not eating meat is due to health reasons. It is healthier not to eat meat. Also it is completely possible to have a balanced diet without meat, thanks to today's science (e.g. Quorn produce). I have said though that i eat eggs and fish. The reason for this is because at the moment i am in training (physically). This means that i need much more protein than the average person, and being a full veggie wouldnt give me enough. Might sound a little hypocritical, but hey this isnt an ideal world, and sacrifices must be made.
    Now someone mentioned that veggies all want to convert the world. Well, i don't. however i do believe that people who do eat meat should consider the alternatives (for all the reasons above) and if they trully consider all the reasons surrounding this and still choose to eat meat, then i support them - at least they are not taking the ignorant choice!

Feel free to post your views on this matter.
    i'm sikh/hindu/thing/whatever...
    not really a veggie, but i voluntarily choose not to eat stuff like pork, ham, beef, and all the greasy meats...
    i love chicken + fish. eggs are a bit soggy some of the time, but pancakes and scrambles are ok.

oh, and to the religion: this god put plants on the planets to for us to eat aswell...
    just...
    eat what you want...
    i'm hungry...
    *runs off to the kitchen*

ReputationRep:
    Well if you want you can call it an excuse, but being a new member meant that i DIDNT KNOW that the topic had been covered extensively. now i do i will look for it. There's no need to get hostile. After all, at least i had the courtesy to apologise.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    sorry when was I hostile. I merely pointed out to you that multiple threads on the same topic aren't needed.

ReputationRep:
    BlackHawk eats newbies for breakfast :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    sorry when was I hostile. I merely pointed out to you that multiple threads on the same topic aren't needed.
    And i merely pointed out to you that i was unaware of this, but now i am, and hence i apologised. So lets call it quits. any way of closing a thread?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by twiga)
    BlackHawk eats newbies for breakfast :p:
    nah, I'm a vegetarian.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.