The Student Room Group

equipotential lines

A edexcel unit 5 questions is asking me to draw three subsequent equipotential lines.

I drew them equal distance apart, the markscheme has them increasing distance apart...

I thought V = GM/r so therefore as you double the radius the potential halves. so how come, between subsequent lines, the radius is getting much larger?
Reply 1
Because it's a radial feild.
Reply 2
I know that already, what is your point?
Reply 3
I think its jsut the inverse square law...so it doubles...:frown:
Reply 4
V = -GM/r, that is not inverse square, just inversely proportional.
Reply 5
knowledge of V = -GM/r is not required in the edexcel sylabus :smile:
Reply 6
sumitk87
knowledge of V = -GM/r is not required in the edexcel sylabus :smile:

yea it isnt
Reply 7
mik1w
A edexcel unit 5 questions is asking me to draw three subsequent equipotential lines.

I drew them equal distance apart, the markscheme has them increasing distance apart...

I thought V = GM/r so therefore as you double the radius the potential halves. so how come, between subsequent lines, the radius is getting much larger?

think of it matheatically - its not direct proportion - its inversely proportional, so when you increase r a bit, it doesn't imply that V will decrease uniformly; recall the graph of y=1/x and compare it to that:smile:

pk
Reply 8
The distance between two lines indicates the field strength. It decreases as you go further out so the equipotential lines get further apart

Latest