Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain to me what this is exactly?

ReputationRep:
    It's the mark you get when you graduate. You can graduate with a third, two:two, two:one and the highest a first. Two:one is kind of like a B....Lol sorry I haven’t explained it properly! :D

ReputationRep:
    The pass grades at uni are (in order from best to worst)

1st
    2:1 (aka "Upper second")
    2:2 (aka "Lower second)
    3rd
    Pass

So as you can see, a 2:1 is the second highest grade you can get (you can also get 1* from some universities which is even higher than a 1:1 but they are so rare that they are not worth bothering with)

ReputationRep:
    I would like to add that to get the percentage of the stuff to get a certain degree classification:

1st - 70% +
    2:1 - 60-69
    2:2 - 50-59
    3rd - 40+
    pass - 38/39+

ReputationRep:
    Is a 2:1 considered pretty good or not, especially for the investment banking type of field.

ReputationRep:
    A 2:1 is respectable. It's what I'm aiming for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    Is a 2:1 considered pretty good or not, especially for the investment banking type of field.
    It's pretty good, don't worry. That is equivalent to a grade B. Most employers would employ you, if you get that degree classification or above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    A 2:1 is usually considered the minimum grade for most competetive graduate jobs. A lot of people get one these days, but it's perfectly respectable.

ReputationRep:
    id be annoyed with a desmond or lower, me aiming high as usual..

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could get a 2:1. It's really not that easy heh

ReputationRep:
    It's something that you'll always be pissed off at for not doing better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I would like to add that to get the percentage of the stuff to get a certain degree classification:

1st - 70% +
    2:1 - 60-69
    2:2 - 50-59
    3rd - 40+
    pass - 38/39+
    Thats incorrect. Degree classifications can vary quite considerably depending on where you go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yep most universities seem to be be roughly the same as that though, to get a 2:1 at mine its 59.5% or somthing like that, I know it was just slightly less than 60%.

Also its easy for people doing A levels to say you only have a 2:2 therefore you must have done crap, just wait to your final year then you realise why so many people don't get 2:1s.

In general but this depends on the subject and university

3rd - You have a degree, its somthing, its not a total waste of time you might be able to salvage somthing

2:2 - The mininum for some graduate level jobs, is often respected especialy in a hard subject, I know people with 2:2s to get very good jobs.

2:1 - This is like the silver standard I suppose, if you have a 2:1 you have a good degree.

1st - You're either a swot or a genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Also its easy for people doing A levels to say you only have a 2:2 therefore you must have done crap, just wait to your final year then you realise why so many people don't get 2:1s.
    Yes for example Cambridge do competitive marking in several subjects. So you're marked against other people in your year, not a general standard. This means that really clever people who may well have been awarded 2.1s/firsts elsewhere have to be awarded 2.iis because they're outside that fixed boundary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Yes for example Cambridge do competitive marking in several subjects. So you're marked against other people in your year, not a general standard. This means that really clever people who may well have been awarded 2.1s/firsts elsewhere have to be awarded 2.iis because they're outside that fixed boundary.
    That's the case in almost every Uni - you get a grade based on your year's performance. If everybody did good on a tough paper and if you didnt do as good then you could risk not getting a 1st, even though if the same exam was sat in another Uni and majority got low then your grade would probably end up being much higher!

This also occurs for A levels. You get a score out of 75 and this is marked onto a UMS which is based on everybody's performance as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Yep same here at Salford, if everybody gets 80% in assignment and you do you're likely to only get 60% if you're lucky. The good thing about this is if you get crap students it makes it easier to get the good marks, but the good ones make it harder.

ReputationRep:
    My course is marked to a general standard non of us will get distinctions this year. But 4 did last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Yep most universities seem to be be roughly the same as that though, to get a 2:1 at mine its 59.5% or somthing like that, I know it was just slightly less than 60%.

To be fair, if you're reasonably intelligent and work reasonably hard I don't think that a 2:1 is too much of a stretch, at least in arts/social science type things.

I heard that at my Uni, of the graduating history students this year, four got a 2:2. Four!

ReputationRep:
    really thats crazy. When I graduated about 52% got firsts or 2.1s from my year on my course

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the stats on the website... 95% of history students get a 1st/2:1, 94% in theology, 91% in English, 91% in Russian, out of arts/social sciences it only seems to be classics and sociology below 80% and law with 65%! :eek:

Although built environment (Architecture and urban planning) only has 45%!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2005
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.