Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Taken from http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...p?story=646984
    It also said it was worried by the success of the British National Party, which "resorted to openly racist and xenophobic propaganda", in building "considerable local support bases in certain areas". It suggested that the Government could consider outlawing such organisations
    This proves that the EU dont care for democracy.

also
    The ECRI said there were still high numbers of attacks on members of ethnic minorities. It pointed to a 12.4 per cent increase in the number of people arrested for racially motivated offences in 2003 compared with the previous year.
    But how many were white?

ReputationRep:
    LC01 said:
    It proves that the EU does not want parties that are going to cause tension and problems in certain communities by using racist and bigoted literature. Remember that your leader has been convicted of 'inciting racial hatred.' Political parties should not be allowed to exist if they are openly breaking the law- which according to the article, it was.

LC01 said:
    But how many were white?
    Not a relevant point. The more relevant point is the ratio of attacks per member of the (race) population. If you looked at these figures you will find that the asian communities suffer by far the most racially motivated attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Taken from http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...p?story=646984

also
    But how many were white?
    You're the only person I know that could manage to twist that story into a pro-BNP argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    LC01 said:It proves that the EU does not want parties that are going to cause tension and problems in certain communities by using racist and bigoted literature.
    I guess that leaves the EU up shi+ creek then since the right wing are enjoying a period of tremendous growth throughout Europe in contrast to the EU itself which can't even get it's major supporters to support it's constitution and is seeing increasingly frequent calls for referendums to abandon its own currency.

The EU is no friend of democracy and the sooner the whole wretched experiment finally crashes and burns the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I guess that leaves the EU up shi+ creek then since the right wing are enjoying a period of tremendous growth throughout Europe in contrast to the EU itself which can't even get it's major supporters to support it's constitution and is seeing increasingly frequent calls for referendums to abandon its own currency.

The EU is no friend of democracy and the sooner the whole wretched experiment finally crashes and burns the better.
    :beer: you damn right howard. Its costing us to much to be in it, its anti- democratic, its destroying our fishing industry AND now its telling us to ban legal political parties!!!!

ReputationRep:
    LOLOL! That's just too funny. Oh well...I'm sorry but I just don't care.

ReputationRep:
    The ECRI is wrong to suggest banning the BNP. The EU already has a democratic deficit, it would be a tragedy if we betrayed our democracy. The BNP are racist, however i defend their right to be racist. We should defeat them openly not forcing them underground. True many BNP members have broke the law but that is no reason to ban the actual party, there are many who arnt guilty of breaking the law, thus why should some suffer because of the actions of another? A better system is to punish those who break the law individually. Other political parties have members who have committed crimes but it would of course be wrong to ban all them. Some may argue 'but the BNP is far more criminals, just look at its leaders'. This issue is not quantative it is qualitive. Something is wrong because its wrong not because of numbers.

We gain nothing from banning views. But by expressing them we get to reaffirm what we believe or discover the truth as JS Mill argues.

ReputationRep:
    The rise of the far right in Europe is however something I am concerned about. To some extent it is a result of government negligence over issues which some people consider important.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the BNP should be banned as long as their activities are within the law.

That said, I'm very pleased with the new legislation against incitement to religious hatred, the BNP are guilty of stirring up so much islamophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I don't think the BNP should be banned as long as their activities are within the law.

That said, I'm very pleased with the new legislation against incitement to religious hatred, the BNP are guilty of stirring up so much islamophobia.
    Its a restriction of free speech. Religion is just a set of opinions that should be freely debated about. If this gets pushed through, the BNP will register themselves as a religion,then we will see how you like having your speech restricted.

ReputationRep:
    There are already laws against inciting violence. This new law is a clear infringment on free speech, and another statist, totalitarian Labour answer to the minority driven ills of our society.

ReputationRep:
    the bucketwoman:
    Yes I agree. This should stop some of the rubbish coming from the BNP. I also don't agree with banning the party, it is better for the public to hear the stupidy and lack of logic of their argumants and reject them on the basis of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    The rise of the far right in Europe is however something I am concerned about. To some extent it is a result of government negligence over issues which some people consider important.
    Correction. Should read:".........which MANY people consider important"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    the bucketwoman:
    Yes I agree. This should stop some of the rubbish coming from the BNP. I also don't agree with banning the party, it is better for the public to hear the stupidy and lack of logic of their argumants and reject them on the basis of that.
    You dont agree that the BNP should be denied a political voice but you do support a ban on the entire population from religious criticism? Difficult to see whether you support free speech or not. Certainly a lack of logic in that argument.

ReputationRep:

The Islamists I'm afraid to say do more to stir up more islamophobia in a single days work than the BNP could achieve in a decade.

ReputationRep:
    This commision hasn't done anything but suggest. I will be very suprised if the BNP become outlawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizdesai)
    This commision hasn't done anything but suggest. I will be very suprised if the BNP become outlawed.
    I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous - sure I don't agree with a lot of what the BNP say but still; what happened to freedom of speech (on second thoughts that doesn't exist anymore - what with that new 'religious hatred' act etc. well at least it's still ok to publicly humiliate and hate Catholics).

Bloody country - this is no real democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Big mistake for the EU. It will only INCREASE interest in the BNP. If they wanted to destroy it, they could have just praised it, which would have sent all of the current members into a confused frenzy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Its a restriction of free speech. Religion is just a set of opinions that should be freely debated about. If this gets pushed through, the BNP will register themselves as a religion,then we will see how you like having your speech restricted.
    In that case the rest of us can register "Anti-BNP" as a religion so you will not be able to refer to the "Loony Left" in every single news item on your website

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.