Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, she was a vegetable after all......

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/assisted_suicide

(Original post by Howard)
    So, she was a vegetable after all......

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/assisted_suicide
    No Howard, she wasn't a 'vegetable' - she was a human being with serious brain damage.

ReputationRep:
    pedant

ReputationRep:
    No Howard, she wasn't a 'vegetable' - she was a human being with serious brain damage.
    What differentiates a human being with no conciousness or intelligence from other mammals? Aren't those two things what set us apart?
    (serious question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    But she was "in a persistent vegetative state, (and) severely and irreversibly brain-damaged and blind as well"; something which you spent considerable time and energy denying during the controversy a few months ago.

(Original post by Speleo)
    What differentiates a human being with no conciousness or intelligence from other mammals? Aren't those two things what set us apart?
    (serious question)
    Ensoulment - serious answer.

(Original post by Howard)
    But she was "in a persistent vegetative state, (and) severely and irreversibly brain-damaged and blind as well"; something which you spent considerable time and energy denying during the controversy a few months ago.
    I said that no one could know for sure as I remember - at least not until a post mortem were carried out. And did anyone know at the time that she was blind? I can't recollect reading or hearing that from anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Ensoulment - serious answer.
    I assume that means 'possessing a soul', as dictionary.com returns nothing.
    What makes a human have a soul but not an animal? Is a soul not related to conciousness rather than life? Please define a 'soul'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why, but I was expecting a tasteless picture of a vegetable.

I've been on LUE too much recently.

ReputationRep:
    Her parents are appealing and threatening legal action. i feel for them but they really need to let it go.

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not she was a vegetable misses the point. My problem with the case was that the decision to remove the tube was based upon the hearsay testimony of her husband.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Whether or not she was a vegetable misses the point. My problem with the case was that the decision to remove the tube was based upon the hearsay testimony of her husband.
    Lobby to get the law changed. As things stand, the spouse determines whether their wife/husband wanted to remain alive or allowed to die.

I assume that means 'possessing a soul', as dictionary.com returns nothing.
    What makes a human have a soul but not an animal? Is a soul not related to conciousness rather than life? Please define a 'soul'.
    If you need me to define a 'soul' you must be totally devoid of spiritual awareness and therefore it is a waste of your time and my time to go into detail.

However, I recommend independent learning and so suggest, for your homework, Matthew 16:25-26, John 15:13, Acts 2:41. These texts explain it nicely!

ReputationRep:
    No, the decision to remove the tube was based on medical opinions (which are now proved right it seems); the argument not to was based on the hearsay testimony of her parents.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thats right, they took the guyon his word, and not the majority medical opinion.
    Fact is that nearly all (bar the staunch conservative) doctors that saw terri said she was profoundly brain damaged and unaware of her surroundings.
    simple as
    whether allowing her to die or not is a diff matter. whether you believe the soul is intrinsically tied to the body/brain or independent.

ReputationRep:
    If you need me to define a 'soul' you must be totally devoid of spiritual awareness and therefore it is a waste of your time and my time to go into detail.

However, I recommend independent learning and so suggest, for your homework, Matthew 16:25-26, John 15:13, Acts 2:41. These texts explain it nicely!
    Because the Bible and a vague unscientific notion are great things to base laws upon :rolleyes:

Because the Bible and a vague unscientific notion are great things to base laws upon :rolleyes:
    So you don't have a soul?

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me that if you believe that a person has a soul then given the evidence of the post-mortem then you would have to agree that they did the right thing. I think the BBC report [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4096256.stm] put it slightly better than the one on Yahoo, saying essentially that she was blind and had no ability to react with her environment in any way, shape or form. I imagine for the soul it would be something akin to being trapped in a box, not knowing what was going on and unable to escape. I think it would be very difficult to say that in this case the right thing was not done.

As a contrast to the first link on this thread which was published by the 'assisted suicide' organisation and consequently has a degree of bias, I am providing an alternative link which could also be considered biased - all for the sake of balance! I am a Libran so balance is what I seek.

http://polipundit.com/index.php?p=7277

ReputationRep:
    Oddly enough, many of the teachings of the Bible have been codified into our law.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.