Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please do-not post images of animals in pain, as food, or animal products in this thread, I know some people will so I'll just ask them not to, and let them know now, I'll report you , so once your post is modded out, feel free to ***** at me (prefferably in PM's)

When someone says veganism, what goes through your mind?
    What definition:
    What sort of person (if any):
    What opinion on veganism:
    So on so forth.

Do you look at it as admirable, as whacky, etc.

note: spell checker is none existant on this computer, and I can't install one.

Edit:
    for who possed me and called me a ****...
    ...you hide behind rep to say something?
    lol?
    You realise soon I might prem up and see who you are .

ReputationRep:
    The questions are a little irrelevant to me as I don't compartmentalise vegans, they can be anyone from any social stereotype or whatever. I just think they're strong, admirable people who stand up for what they believe in a good way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dejitaru)
    The questions are a little irrelevant to me as I don't compartmentalise vegans, they can be anyone from any social stereotype or whatever. I just think they're strong, admirable people who stand up for what they believe in a good way.
    tis why I specified if any for that part .
    What about veganism as in, the life style, as opposed to actual vegans?

ReputationRep:
    Definition: a person who tries to minimise the harm they cause to animals by abstaining from all animal products including dairy, meat, leather, wool, silk, honey.

They are the kind of people who think about the impact of their actions and lifestyle on other humans and other animals. They have well-thought-out ethics.

I admire them a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own I guess, it's something i would never do. Whenever i hear it, it always reminds me of that Simpsons episode where lisa wants to save the big tree and she meets those vegans campaigning outside Krusty Burger.

"That's nice work with the bag-zooka"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Please do-not post images of animals in pain, as food, or animal products in this thread, I know some people will so I'll just ask them not to, and let them know now, I'll report you , so once your post is modded out, feel free to ***** at me (prefferably in PM's)

When someone says veganism, what goes through your mind?
    What definition:
    What sort of person (if any):
    What opinion on veganism:
    So on so forth.

Do you look at it as admirable, as whacky, etc.

note: spell checker is none existant on this computer, and I can't install one.

Edit:
    for who possed me and called me a ****...
    ...you hide behind rep to say something?
    lol?
    You realise soon I might prem up and see who you are .

Being vegetarian myself I have to say that I really admire vegans.

I hope thats enough =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmae)
    Being vegetarian myself I have to say that I really admire vegans.

I hope thats enough =)
    if you admire vegans does that mean you want to be vegan...(we've had this conversation before in pm's I think:p: )

ReputationRep:
    if you admire vegans does that mean you want to be vegan...(we've had this conversation before in pm's I think:p: )
    Don't even go there, we already had this conversation =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmae)
    Don't even go there, we already had this conversation =P
    well at least I know you admire me:p:

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is probably quite an ignorant one, I know what veganism consists of but it's not something I've ever looked into or considered. I don't respect or admire them because they are vegans, it doesn't really change my view of them whatsoever. I do however have the mental picture of a smelly hippy with long dreadlocks in my mind when I think of vegans, not sure why ;-)

I think veganism in some ways can be unnatural, I hear some vegans have to take dietary supplements. Some aspects also confuse me. Vegans do not drink milk; can anyone explain why this is? Do they think the cow is being hurt? I've always been told that cows enjoy being milked!

As I said, this isn't something I've looked into so excuse my naivety

ReputationRep:
    well at least I know you admire me:p:
    I really do actually.
    I can clearly see that you are very dedicated to the vegan lifestyle and I always admire people that I ready to compromise some stuff for greater good.

Why are you collecting negs btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spice_Weasel)
    My opinion is probably quite an ignorant one, I know what veganism consists of but it's not something I've ever looked into or considered. I don't respect or admire them because they are vegans, it doesn't really change my view of them whatsoever. I do however have the mental picture of a smelly hippy with long dreadlocks in my mind when I think of vegans, not sure why ;-)

I think veganism in some ways can be unnatural, I hear some vegans have to take dietary supplements. Some aspects also confuse me. Vegans do not drink milk; can anyone explain why this is? Do they think the cow is being hurt? I've always been told that cows enjoy being milked!

As I said, this isn't something I've looked into so excuse my naivety
    The vegansoc says:

http://www.vegansociety.com/animals/.../dairy_cow.php

Some cows do enjoy milk milking as far as I can tell but the way in which they have been bred, the ammount of milking that occurs, and what happens to most calves, is, well, dispicable in my opinion.

The only thing that needs to be supplemented for the most part in the west is vitamin B12, which is taken from the same type bacteria that make it in animals. It's just not from animals itself.
    Apart from that a lot of Swedes vegan or not need Vit D in their foods in the winter due to a lack of sunshine.
    There is also no problem with supplementing, as long as it isn't treated as an alternative. So I see no problem with say, calcium in pill form, as long as beans, brazil nuts, almounds, green leafy vegetables, broccoli etc. etc. is also eaten (they all contain calcium, although there are many other foods that are vegan that do).

A pill that a lot of people also take in the west thinking about it is selenium, I don't think it's in the UK's soil anymore, although I might be wrong.

-----------------------------------------------
    collecting negs because rep is meaningless and I prefer to neg people with no rep power and say "think of it as a pos" as opposed to posing them and saying "think of this as a neg".

I don't want to take people's meaningless points down:p: .

ReputationRep:
    collecting negs because rep is meaningless and I prefer to neg people with no rep power and say "think of it as a pos" as opposed to posing them and saying "think of this as a neg".

I don't want to take people's meaningless points down:p: .
    I was wondering because I negged you a few weeks ago but only because I wanted to pos you :awesome:
    But it is funny how people are posing you only because you said in your sig that you want to be negged =)

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind tbh its their choice

i just think it must be so hard for them to eat :dontknow:

i do admire them though, except for the ones who keep telling you about what the animal has been through etc if you are, say, eating it or the ones that try to make you vegan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    i dont mind tbh its their choice

i just think it must be so hard for them to eat :dontknow:
    Eat with reguards to?
    In their own home?
    Eating out?

I've found eating out is fine as long as I ring up a week in advance.

In my own home you just change your shopping habits, get new ones, then it's like everyday life again.

ReputationRep:
    Veganism is too boring to possibly survive on!

ReputationRep:
    Eat with reguards to?
    In their own home?
    Eating out?

I've found eating out is fine as long as I ring up a week in advance.

In my own home you just change your shopping habits, get new ones, then it's like everyday life again.
    anywhere really

they might have to do a bit of research first eg call up the place as you do

my best friend is only vegetarian and im ready to get my food and hes there for ages checking all the packaging for ingredients etc

and theres this girl we know who is vegan and she is tiny and we never see her eat :erm:

ReputationRep:
    anywhere really

they might have to do a bit of research first eg call up the place as you do

my best friend is only vegetarian and im ready to get my food and hes there for ages checking all the packaging for ingredients etc

and theres this girl we know who is vegan and she is tiny and we never see her eat :erm:
    not really the strongest erm, reasoning .

Most people once they turn just get familiar products once they've checked their veggie/vegan.

E.G. I used to get heinz backed beans, now I get ones from organic kitchen (because I think heinz are a **** company).
    I used to get chocolate bars like twixes etc.
    Now instead I have choclate spread on toast, or get some flapjack and take it with me (I could also get other chocolate bars etc. but the flapjacks are gooooood).
    I used to just go to say mcdonalds, instead I'll just pop into a sainsburies if everyone else is going to a take away and get some veggie stuff there.
    Hummus, crisps, perhaps some bread, maybe a drink, maybe even a little fruit.
    Just little things like that that'll keep me going, keep the hunger at bay, until I can get home and put on a better meal, usually if it's a night out, soup, as it's easy and quick to cook.

There are fat and thin vegetarians and vegans, some used vegetarianism and veganism to hide E.D.'s (eating disorders), many others try to promote veganism with health, meaning eating food that casts a shadow (remember the simpons refference up above).

ReputationRep:
    not really the strongest erm, reasoning .
    Most people once they turn just get familiar products once they've checked their veggie/vegan.

E.G. I used to get heinz backed beans, now I get ones from organic kitchen (because I think heinz are a **** company).
    I used to get chocolate bars like twixes etc.
    Now instead I have choclate spread on toast, or get some flapjack and take it with me (I could also get other chocolate bars etc. but the flapjacks are gooooood).
    I used to just go to say mcdonalds, instead I'll just pop into a sainsburies if everyone else is going to a take away and get some veggie stuff there.
    Hummus, crisps, perhaps some bread, maybe a drink, maybe even a little fruit.
    Just little things like that that'll keep me going, keep the hunger at bay, until I can get home and put on a better meal, usually if it's a night out, soup, as it's easy and quick to cook.

There are fat and thin vegetarians and vegans, some used vegetarianism and veganism to hide E.D.'s (eating disorders), many others try to promote veganism with health, meaning eating food that casts a shadow (remember the simpons refference up above).
    yeah well like i said in my first post i dont really mind and this isnt a topic i, myself, am not passionate about

what simpsons reference?

or should i say what simpons refference?

or is that not a typo? :dontknow:

fat vegetarians and vegans? orly? you learn something new every day :erm:

ReputationRep:
    yeah well like i said in my first post i dont really mind and this isnt a topic i, myself, am not passionate about

what simpsons reference?

or should i say what simpons refference?

or is that not a typo? :dontknow:

fat vegetarians and vegans? orly? you learn something new every day :erm:
    I has no spell checker innit (uni computer).

It's a myth that vegetarians and vegans are automatically skinny, there are plenty that aren't. I'm skinny but have put weight on since turning vegan (stayed the same turning meat eater to vegetarian interestingly).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.