AQA General studies! silly silly! Watch

This discussion is closed.
ArchiBoi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i thought it was a rather daft paper. anyone else?

all that stuff about a cross bow
Cartouche
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I resolve never to visit the Falkirk Wheel. I swear that third question (about the cog turning clockwise) had no correct answers, anyways. The paper 5 essays were also horrible, although I had a stab at the Maths one.

Paper 4 was okay though. The German wasn't too bad, and the essay on Geography and History was absolutely perfect for me.
Xulfer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The essays were all poo. I do geography and history so I suppose I could have done the "Geography is History" one...but no, it was a rubbish question. The all the cogs and teeth were messing with my head.
kidrosie
Report 13 years ago
it was hopeless. im just going to reject it i think! iv obviously failed!
Cartouche
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Xulfer)
I could have done the "Geography is History" one...but no, it was a rubbish question.
Why? I loved it.
Xulfer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Because I really didn't know what I was meant to write for it. What did you put?
Cartouche
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I started by describing hown physical geography defines country boundaries (like the mountains around the Czech Republic), then described how it offered military protection (such as with Scotland against the Romans), then mentioned how it could allow distinct cultures to develop in isolation (Japan in comparison to China), how raw materials affected the wealth of nations (Saudi Arabian oil) and finally how natural disasters can affect countries (the Minoan tsunami).

I then mentioned how history was by it's very nature random, and then used the 'history is decided by those who write it' maxim to subjectivise all I had said previously (Germans would claim the Czech Sudentland is theirs because of history, Scots would argue it was their fighting spirit that defeated the Romans, Chinese would argue that the Japanese just modified their culture, Arabians would mention how advanced they had been in the middle ages as a reson for their current power, and historians may cite poor leadership as a collapse for the Minoan civilisation).

I concluded with 'Geography therefore does not make History. History makes itself'.
AATTMM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The French paper was average... the french bit was absolutely lost on me... the humanities essays were pretty good, I did the cinema one. But that technology paper... it's the opposite, easy multiple choice, well hard essays. I know nothing about physics/chemistry/biology, how am I supposed to write a sustained essay about intensive farming and nanotechnology? I had to go for the iPod question!!!! That was the only one I could actually give some kind of answer to! Turns out I didn't really grasp that it was a physics question... people were telling me it was about digital being about 1/0s and stuff and analogue being unlimited... and I'm supposed to remember that from GCSE to apply to a question about an iPod!!!!!!!!! I sounded like an iPod salesman in my question, got some sciency lexis in there so might be okay.
Mosey
Report 13 years ago
Sah-weeping generalisation alert! XD

All general studies exams are rubbish. The several I've had to take (my school forces a G.S. retake if you get less than a C...drawing pictures has never gotten me more than a E) included such highbrow articles as "Look At This Sculpture! It Looks Like A Poo!" and "What Do You Think Of Selfridge's In Birmingham?".

Yeaaaah, that's a real way to gain respect. Ask questions like that in an exam no student cares about for a subject no university gives one for.
JohnStuartMill
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cartouche)
I started by describing hown physical geography defines country boundaries (like the mountains around the Czech Republic), then described how it offered military protection (such as with Scotland against the Romans), then mentioned how it could allow distinct cultures to develop in isolation (Japan in comparison to China), how raw materials affected the wealth of nations (Saudi Arabian oil) and finally how natural disasters can affect countries (the Minoan tsunami).

I then mentioned how history was by it's very nature random, and then used the 'history is decided by those who write it' maxim to subjectivise all I had said previously (Germans would claim the Czech Sudentland is theirs because of history, Scots would argue it was their fighting spirit that defeated the Romans, Chinese would argue that the Japanese just modified their culture, Arabians would mention how advanced they had been in the middle ages as a reson for their current power, and historians may cite poor leadership as a collapse for the Minoan civilisation).

I concluded with 'Geography therefore does not make History. History makes itself'.
I also did this essay. I focussed more on other factors affecting history but did develop the geography has shaped the developments of different regions, e.g. the North and coal mining, that it has been responsible for defence e.g. Russia's adverse weather conditions and Britain being an island and the desire for natural resources and living space have largely caused wars.

The second half of my essay was mainly focussed on culture, religion, individuals and society and I did of course include a paragraph on history creating history. My conclusion was a rather Marxist one to be honest (strange for someone so capitalist) that it was more society that developed history. Unfortunately I did not have time to mount an attack on postmodernism as I had originally planned, quite frustrating to be honest.
JonnyB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The idea of starting a thread about General Studies is "silly silly!"
ecolier
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
in U5 all the essay questions are poor, and require prior knowledge. I did biology and chem A2 and i dont know how to do the skin question. In the end i have to resort to doing to "study maths to advancing tech society" question, waffling on about nothing and probably got the worst mark in school
_Adam_
Report 13 years ago
I wasn't keen on the Unit 5 paper at all. I thought the first ten multiple choice questions were fine, the last ten though were more difficult, and I just guessed! The essays didn't really capture my attention, although I ended up doing the best of a bad lot - the 'intensive farming' one - relying on GCSE Geography knowledge, and wrote three sides in the end!

Adam
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Essays were ok, french I guessed most of them and the science ones I knew a few but guessed a couple.

Pointless.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For god sake shut the hell up some of you; just because you thought the questions were "gay" and "pointless" is your problem. It's trying to test your essay writing/language/science/maths abilities in a general context. Yes, the topics were a little unusual; but at least these general studies exams aren't about refinining past paper abilities and regurgitation, some brains and initiative need to be used.

For the vast majority of those who did bad in general studies; it's because you did crap in the papers, not because the exam markers are messing about or don't have a clue what they're on about (I say vast majority because it isn't impossible for the odd marking error/mark miscount to occur). Just because you're geared towards regurgitation and essay dodging for 2 years (often the case) or answering Q's on topics you've done time and time again in extreme depth, doesn't mean that these exams are "crap".

For those who say, "it doesn't matter, universities don't accept it, blaaargh" -It isn't pointless; it's still counted as a whole A-Level and carries the same UCAS Points as even A-Level Further Mathematics. In addition, if you opened your eyes a little, you'd see that just because most universities don't include it in offers (infact, some do, even a top uni like York for even the most academic and respected of subjects, so again shut the hell up!), they still take it into some consideration. A good grade will boost your application, the amount depending on other factors of course.

End of rant. Some people on this forum are seriously stupid. (NB: This isn't aimed at the thread starter, just a few dumb posters in this thread).
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was pointless for me because my grade will have zero influence in getting into my uni course, maybe I should've made that clear.

I only said the questions were 'ok' but had to guess a few.
Kivin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nima, you sound like my teacher :p:

Unit 4 I found OK, never have to do French again now! Multiple choice on unit 5 I found OK..not too difficult (although a few I had no idea about) it was more you just had to concentrate really hard. Those cog/gear questions had my head spinning. I thought all 6 essays were poor on the back, virtually all needed specific prior knowledge. I expected a more general scientific question such as global warming, euthanasia, abortion, etc. Ended up going for the skin question, don't think I did well at all on that one.
ArchiBoi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I dont think this thread is silly silly, if I and the fellow posters on this thread feel the need to discuss the paper as friendly discussion - then who are you to stop us.

After all this is a DISCUSSION forum and A2'S and GENERAL STUDIES is officially an A2!

Thankyou to all who posted on this thread
Cartouche
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I see your point Nima, and fully agree. I don't mind discussing the exam, but there's no need to just spend time calling it utterly useless. Sure, I'm hideous with technology, but that's not the paper's fault, ne?
Triple_M
Report 13 years ago
I completely agree with Nima. I personally put a lot of effort into the general studies exams as I will porbably need it to get into Sheffield. However, I do agree that the essays on unit 5 all required a lot of prior knowlede - The intensive farming question was my choice due to geography knowledge. Overall, the general studies exams were a refreshing change from repetetive learning of facts which I have to endure in geography, history and chemistry.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed