My very first open day (awwwww) Watch

This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
So I had it - Royal Holloway. I would love it if people could read my blog and leave a comment on whether or not I am madly insane for writing over 1400 words (dont worry - its broken up) or if I have left anything out that is deathly important - I will give rep (not that it means too much) but you will also be helping others! Anyway, generally good fun,

Roll on Exeter on Tuesday!
lauren23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
woah that musta taken ages to write!! very gd tho i must say.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sounds like a great day you had in Royal Holloway! Hope it would be the same for Exeter. What other open days are you going to? What other uni's did you apply for? Would you do music or history?

The length is quite long, it doesn't matter, as it will give you memories and maybe some hints on what to do or ask during the next few open days.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauren23)
woah that musta taken ages to write!! very gd tho i must say.
Well, I did it as I went along, then wrote the diary on the way home on the train taken around 45 mins then another hour to type up! I figure it will be worth it when its September I've been to around six/seven unis and I'm struggling to remember all of them

(Original post by trev)
Sounds like a great day you had in Royal Holloway! Hope it would be the same for Exeter. What other open days are you going to? What other uni's did you apply for? Would you do music or history?

The length is quite long, it doesn't matter, as it will give you memories and maybe some hints on what to do or ask during the next few open days.
Thank you very much, I have not completly decided all my other open days, I think Keele and South hampton, Lancastor, York, maybe Warwick although the course is a bit up in the air (as in I dont think it would suit me) then any suggestions would be great! lol, I haven't applied for any yet as I'm in year 12 and I the degrees I am thinking of are

History
Music and history
Ancient and modern history and maybe just music

Depending on whether or not the unis do these combinations and am reviewing the three subject areas and then will decide which I want to apply for, it may be the case I apply for a mixture then which ever I get into will be the one I do! Thanks so far to both of you, rep owed
Spiral
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooh it's good you wrote that, i'm sure it'll help you remember the place more. It's given me some more ideas of what to look out for at my first open day on Saturday as well.
This bit made me giggle "Being a country campus, I unfortunately had to encounter a faint ‘cow’ smell".
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I read it, it's really good! Very thorough
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're probably not going to apply there? *Looks disappointed*

It doesn't sound like RHUL came across to its best advantage - I can asssure you it is a great place, both to study History and Music, and in general! I'm sorry you had all those annoyances; you shouldn't let them affect too much your eventual decision about the university, though.

It really would be great if you did come to RHUL, and particularly if you ended up doing the joint History and Music degree! The people (staff and students) in both departments are really friendly, and the lecturers are good. I definitely recommend joining the History Society - the people are lovely, and it organises trips and other social events, most notably the formal dinner in the Picture Gallery in the spring term, but also things like trips to places like Hampton Court.

One thing I'm puzzled about, though - I'm pretty well certain that in History, the written coursework doesn't actually count - it's assessed by 90% exam and 10% presentation instead. :confused: But I suppose it might be different for the 1st year, plus there's the coursework units/half-units to confuse matters...
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Another thought - do you know that the Music Department at Exeter is being closed down? You need to think hard about whether you would want to go to a university without one, bearing in mind how interested you say you are in joining music ensembles and so on.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
Well, I did it as I went along, then wrote the diary on the way home on the train taken around 45 mins then another hour to type up! I figure it will be worth it when its September I've been to around six/seven unis and I'm struggling to remember all of them

Thank you very much, I have not completly decided all my other open days, I think Keele and South hampton, Lancastor, York, maybe Warwick although the course is a bit up in the air (as in I dont think it would suit me) then any suggestions would be great! lol, I haven't applied for any yet as I'm in year 12 and I the degrees I am thinking of are

History
Music and history
Ancient and modern history and maybe just music

Depending on whether or not the unis do these combinations and am reviewing the three subject areas and then will decide which I want to apply for, it may be the case I apply for a mixture then which ever I get into will be the one I do! Thanks so far to both of you, rep owed
You're welcome. I should have done a journal like that to remind myself, lol. It gives you memories. :p:

Those uni's are good for music and/or history. Not sure if they do joint/combined honours though. Wait until results day to see which subject you might want to do in uni. For instance, if you get a A in history and B in music, you might want to go for history instead or something. Just a suggestion. Look on the UCAS site for and joint honours in the subjects you like.

One of my friends are applying for ancient history, she chose Exeter, Edinburgh, Swansea, Warwick, Durham, and Cardiff. You might want to consider those too. :p: In addition, I think those uni's are good for music too.

It's good that you are prepared for applying now, as you need to get everything done ASAP. Try to fill in your form and have a 1st draft ready over the summer.

Thanks for the rep (later on).
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
One of my friends are applying for ancient history, she chose Exeter, Edinburgh, Swansea, Warwick, Durham, and Cardiff. You might want to consider those too. :p: In addition, I think those uni's are good for music too.
Just thought I'd point out (in case you weren't aware) that Warwick has an excellent music department but does not actually offer music as an academic subject (i.e. you cannot study music as part of your degree here). Though, as I say, it does have a very good music centre with plenty of active student musical societies, including orchestras, ensemble groups, musical theatre, etc.
Jenn xx
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went to the open day as well and I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed. I was fed up to start with though because it had taken me 4 hours to get there! My mum drove me and first we were hit by loads of traffic on the M25, then we kept getting lost as there weren't many signposts and the map we had was really confusing. When we eventually got there, it was pouring with rain and we'd missed the first 2 talks. The buildings were very pretty, especially Founders, but the towers all looked the same, and even when you asked a student for directions, you still got lost! I went on a campus tour and was pleased with how honest the student was. He didn't try and 'sell' the university, he just gave us his honest opinions. I was impressed by the campus shop, which was quite big, and very much so with the self-catering accommodation I saw. The students had double beds, ensuite bathrooms and quite spacious, well-equipped kitchens between 8. After a very rushed lunch, I had to choose between the French talk and the Hispanic Studies talk, so I went for Hispanic Studies because it will be a new subject for me. The guy giving the talk was all right and he gave us all the inforation we needed, but he did go on a bit and I had to share a seat with my mum, whilst some people had to stand up, because we were in a tiny seminar room, so it wasn't comfortable at all. Overall it wasn't terrible, but could have been a lot better. I'll probably still apply though because of the course, the accommodation and the local area, all of which I liked. I'm going to open days at Cambridge and possibly Leicester as well, so hopefully they'll be better.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by kew96158)
You're probably not going to apply there? *Looks disappointed*

It doesn't sound like RHUL came across to its best advantage - I can asssure you it is a great place, both to study History and Music, and in general! I'm sorry you had all those annoyances; you shouldn't let them affect too much your eventual decision about the university, though.

It really would be great if you did come to RHUL, and particularly if you ended up doing the joint History and Music degree! The people (staff and students) in both departments are really friendly, and the lecturers are good. I definitely recommend joining the History Society - the people are lovely, and it organises trips and other social events, most notably the formal dinner in the Picture Gallery in the spring term, but also things like trips to places like Hampton Court.

One thing I'm puzzled about, though - I'm pretty well certain that in History, the written coursework doesn't actually count - it's assessed by 90% exam and 10% presentation instead. :confused: But I suppose it might be different for the 1st year, plus there's the coursework units/half-units to confuse matters...
Well RHUL is back in teh running after I re-evauated it - I think I was too quick to judge it becuase of my dad, but still it will take a lot of thinking

(Original post by kew96158)
Another thought - do you know that the Music Department at Exeter is being closed down? You need to think hard about whether you would want to go to a university without one, bearing in mind how interested you say you are in joining music ensembles and so on.
I did know it has closed down which made me a bit worried - I will have to find out what the ensembles are like when I go to the open day...

(Original post by trev)
You're welcome. I should have done a journal like that to remind myself, lol. It gives you memories. :p:

Those uni's are good for music and/or history. Not sure if they do joint/combined honours though. Wait until results day to see which subject you might want to do in uni. For instance, if you get a A in history and B in music, you might want to go for history instead or something. Just a suggestion. Look on the UCAS site for and joint honours in the subjects you like.

It's good that you are prepared for applying now, as you need to get everything done ASAP. Try to fill in your form and have a 1st draft ready over the summer.

Thanks for the rep (later on).
Kool, I shall take that into consideration, and rep I'm going down the lists, will be there though and thank you everyone for your comments so far!

(Original post by JennLlama)
Just thought I'd point out (in case you weren't aware) that Warwick has an excellent music department but does not actually offer music as an academic subject (i.e. you cannot study music as part of your degree here). Though, as I say, it does have a very good music centre with plenty of active student musical societies, including orchestras, ensemble groups, musical theatre, etc.
Jenn xx

Yeah thank you for opinting that out, I had that in the back of my mind when my dad told me a while back - this means that I have to make sure the history course is the perfect course because it will be a straight degree .'. I'm looking at the course with great detail!

(Original post by kellywood_5)
I went to the open day as well and I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed. I was fed up to start with though because it had taken me 4 hours to get there! My mum drove me and first we were hit by loads of traffic on the M25, then we kept getting lost as there weren't many signposts and the map we had was really confusing. When we eventually got there, it was pouring with rain and we'd missed the first 2 talks. The buildings were very pretty, especially Founders, but the towers all looked the same, and even when you asked a student for directions, you still got lost! I went on a campus tour and was pleased with how honest the student was. He didn't try and 'sell' the university, he just gave us his honest opinions. I was impressed by the campus shop, which was quite big, and very much so with the self-catering accommodation I saw. The students had double beds, ensuite bathrooms and quite spacious, well-equipped kitchens between 8. After a very rushed lunch, I had to choose between the French talk and the Hispanic Studies talk, so I went for Hispanic Studies because it will be a new subject for me. The guy giving the talk was all right and he gave us all the inforation we needed, but he did go on a bit and I had to share a seat with my mum, whilst some people had to stand up, because we were in a tiny seminar room, so it wasn't comfortable at all. Overall it wasn't terrible, but could have been a lot better. I'll probably still apply though because of the course, the accommodation and the local area, all of which I liked. I'm going to open days at Cambridge and possibly Leicester as well, so hopefully they'll be better.

yeah this is what I found out, if you want you can pm me with a couple of bullet points as to what you thought was the worst about RHUL and I shall pass them onto my dad, he tehn shouts at someone to change them lol! Was that your first open day? When saying about organisation dad said 'wait until you go to more open days' which is a fair enough point!

Well if people have things to add, or talk in genersl bout open days, please reply! Its good to get as ahead as possible!
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Kool, I shall take that into consideration, and rep I'm going down the lists, will be there though and thank you everyone for your comments so far!
Alright, thanks. You could look in the league tables to see which uni's are good for history and/or music. That could give you an idea where to apply. I would use the times subject league table: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wow that was really useful- and it sounds like u had a great day! i've yet to go to an open day and don't quite know what to expect. However, you seemed so organised, so i think i should take a leaf out of yr book! are you doing a diary like this for all the unis you visit? that will give you such a good comparison when you decide your final choice! did you go to the open dsay on your own then? i always got the impression that these days were the events that you brought yr parents? Good luck with the rest of your open days- my first is kent at canterbury in 2weeks!
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
i always got the impression that these days were the events that you brought yr parents?
The majority of people were there with one or both parents, but some were with their boyfriend/girlfriend or just friends. I didn't see anyone on their own...
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah this is what I found out, if you want you can pm me with a couple of bullet points as to what you thought was the worst about RHUL and I shall pass them onto my dad, he tehn shouts at someone to change them lol! Was that your first open day? When saying about organisation dad said 'wait until you go to more open days' which is a fair enough point!
Does your dad work for the university or something? Yep, that was my first open day. I'm going to the Cambridge one (Sidney Sussex) on 7th July and I might possibly go to Leicester as well, but Exeter, Sheffield and Durham are just too far away and I'll probably go on the post-application days if they make me an offer anyway.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
i always got the impression that these days were the events that you brought yr parents?
Yeah, students usually bring their parents, so they could take them there by car. In addition, the parents might want to attend the 'parents talk' and/or ask question about finance and student support, busaries, fees, grants, etc...
80s Love Child!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah same.....my first openday's on the 1st of July!!!
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
ok, I had my second visit which can be seen in my blog above (it seems to have disappeared ) - it was to Exeter good fun! Anyone else there?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ok, I had my second visit which can be seen in my blog above (it seems to have disappeared ) - it was to Exeter good fun! Anyone else there?
Sounds like you had another good open day! Which one did you like so far, Exeter or Royal Holloway?

Your open days so far are better than mine, especially when you have sample lectures!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads