Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah...easy... if u say so...

ReputationRep:
    Twice as cold should be half the heat energy. So it should be the half way point between 0 Centigrade and absolute zero. As endeavour said "273/2 = 136.5 K". Although i think it's 136.6 K, because 0 C is 273.16 K (sorry)

ReputationRep:
    New riddle...make 2,10,10 into 950

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    The nature of centigrade is based on freezing and boiling point of water - it was correct to convert to fahrenheit, because what can you do with 0c? The answer is nothing, but it represents 32F, so twice as cold is 16F, and if you convert that to centigrade you get -8.8888 c. Easy.
    Exactly, it's only relative to b.p. of water. 0 kevlin is the lowest temperature (when all molecules stop moving), so it makes more sense to standardise it from that.

If you were calculating the kinetic energy of molecules at a temperature, you use E=3/2nRT where T is in Kelvin.

ReputationRep:
    Cold doesn't exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Cold doesn't exist
    True. It's only the absence of warmth

ReputationRep:
    Look mate, keep it simple, just convert between Celcius and Fahrenheit. Absolute zero being the coldest something can be, so that all atoms stop? And you're saying that twice as cold as it is in december is halfway to absolute zero? Nah, I'm not having that. If you look at the logic, I don't see why converting fahrenheit and celcius is wrong, seems natural to me.

ReputationRep:
    THink about it 0c is cold, and -8.888 would be about twice as cold, and that's very cold (think about it, it is rarely ever -8 here, for a good reason). I know, I'm now not calculating, but where the logic and superificial evidence is there, I can't disagree with myself.

ReputationRep:
    Look mate, keep it simple, just convert between Celcius and Fahrenheit. Absolute zero being the coldest something can be, so that all atoms stop? And you're saying that twice as cold as it is in december is halfway to absolute zero? Nah, I'm not having that. If you look at the logic, I don't see why converting fahrenheit and celcius is wrong, seems natural to me.
    Well, yeah. Twice as cold means half the heat. If u take away half the heat, you get half way to absolute zero. That seems natural to me

ReputationRep:
    Converting to farenheit and then back to celcius just lacks logic.

What if it was a 4 times as cold? Would the temperature then be -13.33 celcius?
    So you've gone from 0 C, -8.89 C to -13.33 C. That's just meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    This explains it quite well: http://geocities.com/kfuller2001/tmyths.htm#Myth15

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a physcian, I had a go lol

ReputationRep:
    It was worth a punt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    how do you make 2,10,10 into 950???????
    Arr dunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    It was worth a punt
    It certainly was and if i'm wrong, which it now appears I am, then i'l hold my hands up. Maths and the sciences never quite agreed with me, Kelvin who? lol

ReputationRep:
    no one said that you were a medic? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    "twice as cold".

hmm. that would tend to suggest "cold" is a single and uniform thing. it is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    New riddle...make 2,10,10 into 950
    define 'make' please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    no one said that you were a medic? :confused:
    I know nobody said I was, but I just thought i'd point it out, nor am I a scientist nor a mathematician.

ReputationRep:
    never mind...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.