Turn on thread page Beta

Can You Get into Uni With Just a 1 Year College Course? watch

ReputationRep:
    For us 43 Points is a E grade and C grade is more like 60-70 mark area, cant remember exactly but will ask tommorrow. Its a 2 year course mate.

Basically i just want to do the one and then think about doing something else maybe for one more year if i cant get into UCE or any local unis. I was hoping there maybe a course where i just turned 18 years old, that i can do for one year and then when im 19 (it looks like i wont go this year) i can get into uni and give me a few options too.

I hope that makes sense or do i need my tablets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talksoccer)
    For us 43 Points is a E grade and C grade is more like 60-70 mark area, cant remember exactly but will ask tommorrow. Its a 2 year course mate.

Basically i just want to do the one and then think about doing something else maybe for one more year if i cant get into UCE or any local unis. I was hoping there maybe a course where i just turned 18 years old, that i can do for one year and then when im 19 (it looks like i wont go this year) i can get into uni and give me a few options too.

I hope that makes sense or do i need my tablets
    I remember you posting a thread about doing A-levels or BTECs (I think).

Is your AVCE ICT a double award (12 units) or single award (6 units)? Both of them is a 2 year course, for the single award you do 3 in one year and the other 3 in the second year. For the double award, you do 6 in one year, and 6 in the second year. You havn't answered that question yet, lol. :p:

If it's a double award, I would just stick with that and don't do anymore, as it's equivalent to 2 A-levels. Most/lots of universities accept an AVCE double award only, as it's equivalent to 2 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    The one thing im not sure of is, even though i may pass i have had loads of problems with my attendance and i have been given a warning i must improve. It looks like very likely due to that the college will not allow me back and with most colleges around me dont let you do the 2nd year of AVCE as they want to start fresh and i really cant be bothered. So i was looking at other options just in case this comes up, if the option of a 2nd year does come up and they allow me back in, i will definally do it as it seems to be to late to go uni.

Also sorry mate, yeh its the double award im doing

ReputationRep:
    The one thing im not sure of is, even though i may pass i have had loads of problems with my attendance and i have been given a warning i must improve. It looks like very likely due to that the college will not allow me back and with most colleges around me dont let you do the 2nd year of AVCE as they want to start fresh and i really cant be bothered. So i was looking at other options just in case this comes up, if the option of a 2nd year does come up and they allow me back in, i will definally do it as it seems to be to late to go uni.

Also sorry mate, yeh its the double award im doing
    Alright, cool. So that double award is worth 2 A-levels. If you get EE or above in ICT, you would be fine for university (i.e. HND course). What is your exact ICT course you want to study at uni?

At least you are attending every lesson from now on, and they might let you back in next year to do the other 6 units to achieve a AVCE double award.

I think you could do a BTEC National Certificate as Kelly said, and it's equivalent to 2 A-levels. You might want to do a BTEC National Diploma if you want to go to better uni's, as it's equivalent to 3 A-levels. http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nat/

ReputationRep:
    Its just im worried that they wont let me in and im certain they wont, so i was hoping to look for other options too. So any other ideas what i can do for a year possibly?

BTEC National Certificate - Im not sure whats that about and is that for 1 year and will i get into uni with just that?

Also Trev really appreciate the help mate.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, why do you want to go to university so badly? Without meaning any offence, if you're struggling to get 80 points at A Level it probably isn't worth the hassle...

ReputationRep:
    Im just keeping my options open tbh. I prefer to do an apprenticeship, but that is another story.

Im just hoping to be in Uni next year hopefully one way or another and im just looking for all the options that are available.

The 80 points on my course are like a strong B i think, so i will definally struggle to get that but im 80 precent certain the college wont allow me back next year which leaves me thinking. I cant do the 2nd year of the course as none of the colleges around where i live dont allow this as most of them are stopping this course this year too. So i may have to look for other subjects or areas, so i would appreciate any advice

ReputationRep:
    What about doing 2 A Levels in 1 year? Or at least some AS's... Some colleges do this....

ReputationRep:
    If i remember correctly there are some degrees which you can get into with AS am i right or just guessing?

Il make some enquiries about two A levels in 1 year, it be a lot of work

ReputationRep:
    Its just im worried that they wont let me in and im certain they wont, so i was hoping to look for other options too. So any other ideas what i can do for a year possibly?

BTEC National Certificate - Im not sure whats that about and is that for 1 year and will i get into uni with just that?

Also Trev really appreciate the help mate.
    You're welcome.

If you do an AVCE ICT double award and get an EE or above, you will get into an HND course. If you do other A-levels (choose 1 A-level as the double award counts as 2, so therefore the double award and the single A-level will make 3 A-levels altogether) or AS-levels or BTECs (one or the other), your chance of doing a degree course is a bit higher. Do you want a vocational or academic approach? If you want a vocational approach, I would suggest a BTEC.

The BTEC National Certificate last for 2 years just like other A-levels. The award and diploma last for 2 years too. I'm assuming you are going to the certificate one, as it's less things to do.

I'm just interested, what grade did you get at ASVCE?

If i remember correctly there are some degrees which you can get into with AS am i right or just guessing?

Il make some enquiries about two A levels in 1 year, it be a lot of work
    I don't think you can do degrees with an AS, sorry.

I'm sure the college will let you do A-levels in 1 year. If they let you do that, I would sugget doing the AS units in january and the A2 units in june.

ReputationRep:
    The 80 points on my course are like a strong B i think, so i will definally struggle to get that
    Sorry if I'm being really thick here but I'm confused. When you say 80 points, what points are you talking about? If it's 80 UMS marks out of 100, that's an A, but if it's 80 UCAS points, which I was referring to earlier, that's a C. In other words, if you get a C in your AVCE at the end of the year, you'll have 80 UCAS points, which can then count towards the entry requirements for university. If your college lets you do the second half, and you end up with CC at the end of it, that's 160 points and that should be enough to get you to university. If they don't, you could consider doing another single award AVCE, maybe in business studies or something, at another college if they offer it, or you may have to do an A-level instead.

ReputationRep:
    Why not do two years of A-Level courses and go to a good university that will boost your employment prospects more considerably?

ReputationRep:
    I havent got my results for AVCE yet expected to get them sometime next week i think or the week after most likely.

Also i think i got it wrong, yeh your right 80 points is a C i think.

I would love to do A levels in 1 year but i think that maybe way out of my league, looks really tough to get so much information under a year tbh.

I heard you can do a 1 year course in Sports science or something similar at college, and that will lead you to do a HnD course. I have always found that a very intresting topic but im not sure if thats the course.

ReputationRep:
    Why not do them in 2yrs like most people do?
    While you do A-Levels you can also have a part time job and so get some money together for university.

ReputationRep:
    The money aint really much of an issue(rich grandad), i already got a part time job at the moment too but im looking into all aspects even getting a full time job for a year if i cant find the right course for next year.

I am looking at the new matthew bolton college opening in birmingham to see what courses they are doing and get in contact. Also looking into doing apprenticeships but my most likely and hopeful option is to stay in college.

ReputationRep:
    I havent got my results for AVCE yet expected to get them sometime next week i think or the week after most likely
    Don't you get them the same time as A-level results, ie August 18th?

ReputationRep:
    I havent got my results for AVCE yet expected to get them sometime next week i think or the week after most likely.

Also i think i got it wrong, yeh your right 80 points is a C i think.

I would love to do A levels in 1 year but i think that maybe way out of my league, looks really tough to get so much information under a year tbh.

I heard you can do a 1 year course in Sports science or something similar at college, and that will lead you to do a HnD course. I have always found that a very intresting topic but im not sure if thats the course.
    Yes, 80 points is a grade C at A-level (6 units altogether). You actually get your results on August 18th, as that is when A-level results come out.

If you think doing an A-level in 1 year is tough, you could do another AVCE if you want. Alternatively, you could just leave with a double award which is worth 2 A-levels. Most uni's consider only a double award for entry.

The money aint really much of an issue(rich grandad), i already got a part time job at the moment too but im looking into all aspects even getting a full time job for a year if i cant find the right course for next year.

I am looking at the new matthew bolton college opening in birmingham to see what courses they are doing and get in contact. Also looking into doing apprenticeships but my most likely and hopeful option is to stay in college.
    Looking into other options is good. However, I would suggest that you concentrate on staying in college and stuff like that. Just do A-levels in one year. If you don't like it, you could do an AVCE. You are already have a double award which is wroth 2 A-levels, therefore you just need to take one more A-level.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.