Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Few questions here:

What do you generally feel about swearing? - I personally don't mind it, except when it is being used as in excess, swearing for the sake of swearing, but when it comes up generally it's fine.

Any swear word you don't like? - I don't mind any, some people have a problem with 'C**t' but i actualyl sometimes use it as a term of endearment lol - like 'would you look at that C**t there? lol

Do you ever feel uncomfortable using a swear word you would regularly use in front of someone you don't know - i.e. such as C**t?

Finally, do you belive swear words should be blanked out on this forum? - I personally don't, what's the big deal? How can you be offended by a word?

ReputationRep:
    All Ok apart from the 'C word' in my book.

But as for this forum, yep, I think there should be a filter - some people do object to swearing. There are loads of 'Anything Goes' forums out there, with NO restriction.

ReputationRep:
    Ive sworn all my life, everyone around me swore, I cant help swaering all the time, but I dont find it remotely offensive, even the c word, which I cant understand why people find that word so offensive I mean its not racist or anything.

(Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    Ive sworn all my life, everyone around me swore, I cant help swaering all the time, but I dont find it remotely offensive, even the c word, which I cant understand why people find that word so offensive I mean its not racist or anything.
    you are such a c**t!! :eek: hehe only joking!

ReputationRep:
    What do you generally feel about swearing? - depends on the context, but using it in normal conversation is okay by me, just not in excess.

Any swear word you don't like? -
    The C word is the most offensive, because it's just not something that comes up in normal conversation, it has to be nasty.

Do you ever feel uncomfortable using a swear word you would regularly use in front of someone you don't know - i.e. such as C**t?
    - Naturally.

Finally, do you belive swear words should be blanked out on this forum?
    - Yes they should be, we need some standards.

ReputationRep:
    I only swear when I injure myself, am extremely stressed, or angry. And sometimes I'll use it in a sentence when(and only when) I converse with friends. (ie I'm sick of this sh**/cr**) Never in public...

ReputationRep:
    you only get offended by swearing if you choose to be- its just a sound.

Personally I believe those who do not swear to be limiting their vocabulary. On the other hand though you then get people like me who nearly have tourettes syndrome....

ReputationRep:
    I seldom swear in public... unless it's a basketball game. Missing shots, bad passes and such can be pretty frustrating.

Other than that, I tend to drop tons of f-bombs while talking to friends. But if they are the types who object to swearing, I'll just try not to swear that much.

ReputationRep:
    Generally there are two types of swearing (in my opinion):

1. Swearing used in general conversation. e.g. for ****'s sake...
    2. Swearing used to talk about someone else. e.g. **** you you ****

with 1. i have no problem with, and all swear words are in my vocabulary. I am not insulting anyone, and i don't fully understand why people object. I THINK its partially to do with the fact that swearing used to be used solely for 2. i.e. when swearing first started, it was meant to start as insults. but now it has evolved, so it is up to people to evolve with them.

with 2. i don't mind if its with your friends. I mean friends do joke about and swear at each other at times, but its always in a joke manner. When not in a joke manner, or when said about someone who's not a friend, then i object too since you are then using swearing words to insult someone. Although i don't object fully. because it is possible to insult someone deeply without using swear words, and therefore by my reasoning, i should object to those too! lol. basically it is a very dodgy subject, with swearing taking different roles with different people.

ReputationRep:
    i only swear when im angry usually, and only add the odd f*** in normal conversation.

i too find c**t offensive, always tell my bloke off when he says it.

ReputationRep:
    Like a few people in this thread, I tolerate swearing. However, people who feel the need to use it as a frequent adjective just irritate me. I was brought up in a family, that if you swore, you got a smack. Therefore, I rarely swear, and if I do, it's certainly not in front of my parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    you only get offended by swearing if you choose to be- its just a sound.
    Tell that to the victims of racist remarks.

Motherless Child

ReputationRep:
    I only really swear when im angry, have no real reason to swear in general conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I swear quite a bit. I'll say "oh f this" or "that was sh*t". and the word tw*t gets used constantly. we even make up words such as tw*tface. I wouldn't consider the word crap as a swearword. "piss" is more swearing but I only really use that to descirbe alcohol like "he's such a pisshead". i'm not offended by swearing at all.

ReputationRep:
    I swear a bit. Not all the time but a fair amount! :p: I dont have a problem with the word c**t particularly but I would ever only use it in front of a couple of people I know very well. Oh and I never swear in front of my parents!! Well, Id go as far as sh*t but I wouldnt say much else in front of them!

I think they should blank it out on the forum because some people may be offended by it or feel uncomfortable if somebody swears.

Apparently my first word was b******s...
    ... ironic really as I really don't swear much.

And yes, there should blatantly be a filter. Not only do young people frequent the site, but I don't particularly want to trawl through offensive posts. If you want a low-mod forum, pay £2.50 pm for it. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Apparently my first word was b******s...
    ... ironic really as I really don't swear much.
    Not really ironic. Had you have been a *******, then that would have been ironic. :p:

Motherless Child

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the 'C' word, i just think its really offensive, i hate it.

Other than that i swear quite often.

(Original post by Motherless Child)
    Not really ironic. Had you have been a *******, then that would have been ironic. :p:

Motherless Child
    Read again.

ReputationRep:
    hmm... sometimes, use them too much and they lose their powers.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.