Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I am a bit stuck with my theory of knowledge (philosophy) essay for my IB, if anyone could give a few tips that would be a great help.
    This is my essay question:

Can we know something that has not yet been proven true?

If anyone could help me it would be v nice
    Cheers

Sofia

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...8605#post78605

ReputationRep:
    Thanx for the link...its always helpful to have a beginning of something.cheers
    Have a nice evening

Sofia

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your doing number 9? Our whole class decided not to do that one. I'm doing number 7. How did all your ToK presentations go?

ReputationRep:
    Enistein once said re his theory of relativity... "A million experiments will not prove me right, but one may prove me wrong" but we all know what the theory of relativity is.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t16082.html

ReputationRep:
    you should start by thinking about what is meant by "knowledge". How do we know something? How can we be sure we know something?

If something has not yet been proven true, then how can we know it? Does knowledge equate with truth? Does knowledge have to be "true" to be knowledge? Does a proposition need to be a justified true belief to be real knowledge? Does the justification have to involve proof? Is it proof?

Let's say a guy living before Galileo believe that the Earth is round. But it is not yet proven to be round. He justifies his belief by observations and experience as a sailor, and claims he knows that the earth is round. But does he really know it, if he can't prove it? (you know that 2+2=4, but can you prove it? It has been proven yes, but couldn't one say that you just believe it to be true, justifying it by coherence and correspondence theories of truth, using authority? What is the difference between you saying that you know that 2+2=4 and this guy saying the earth is round?) Later Galileo proves that the earth must be round. Can you say that Galileo knew it, but not the first guy?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.