Turn on thread page Beta

Corporal Punishment in the Judicial System watch

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that be a good idea? Singapore thinks so: http://www.corpun.com/singfeat.htm, good to note they don't even feature in the list of total crimes presented here: http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...cri_cap&int=50 (yes per capita) we happily role in at 6th :rolleyes:

Perhaps if *all* prisoners got a regular flogging/beatings instead of sky tv and a holiday each year while in "prison" they might not offend in the first place or reoffend when released. Might help our chav problem too.

Bring back the death penalty as well but implement it at many more levels (mugging, rape etc) all those crimes which instil fear while imposing a physical threat. There is not enough fear of authority anymore.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Bring back the death penalty as well but implement it at many more levels (mugging, rape etc) all those crimes which instil fear while imposing a physical threat. There is not enough fear of authority anymore.
    The death penalty is an awful policy. It is better to let one hundred murderers go free, rather then to execute a single innocent individual. This is because the killing of a murderer is the destruction of evil -- from which we gain nothing; the killing of an innocent individual is the destruction of the good -- an irreparable loss. Justice's first purpose is not to punish evil; rather it is to reward the good. The punishment of evil is a corollary of the rewarding of the good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    The death penalty is an awful policy. It is better to let one hundred murderers go free, rather then to execute a single innocent individual. This is because the killing of a murderer is the destruction of evil -- from which we gain nothing; the killing of an innocent individual is the destruction of the good -- an irreparable loss. Justice's first purpose is not to punish evil; rather it is to reward the good. The punishment of evil is a corollary of the rewarding of the good.
    An eye for an eye.

When your old frail Grandad is beaten to death in the street, on CCTV, with fingerprints and eyewitness accounts, would you want the offender to simply get locked away in a cell for a couple of years? No, you would want serious punishment, that sends out a clear message to society that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

The purpose of justice is to balance out the good and the evil. Treating someone to digital TV, and expensive meals is not justice being done for serious offences, not in ym eyes anyway.

Though i do understand what you are saying, and if there was ever any doubt at all that the offender may in fact be innocent, life should not be taken.

I hope that mde sense, my eyes are sore, and i'm so tired!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    When your old frail Grandad is beaten to death in the street, on CCTV, with fingerprints and eyewitness accounts, would you want the offender to simply get locked away in a cell for a couple of years? No, you would want serious punishment, that sends out a clear message to society that such behaviour will not be tolerated.
    Serious punishment delivered by the state? I would prefer to handle it myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)

Perhaps if *all* prisoners got a regular flogging/beatings instead of sky tv and a holiday each year while in "prison" they might not offend in the first place or reoffend when released. Might help our chav problem too.
    What an ignorant response my friend. Why do people not understand, that prison is a horrible place. They dont get Sky TV. Some individuals may get weekend passes. Under the supervision of Prison Officers ALL THE TIME. Prisons are over crowded disgusting place. They dont live in such luxery that propaganda states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eXis)
    What an ignorant response my friend. Why do people not understand, that prison is a horrible place. They dont get Sky TV. Some individuals may get weekend passes. Under the supervision of Prison Officers ALL THE TIME. Prisons are over crowded disgusting place. They dont live in such luxery that propaganda states.
    i agree that prison isn't as propaganda suggests it is but i do believe that kids today get away with more than should! if some sort of punishment was in place instead of asob's which have been proven not to work then society wouldnt be in such a state.

ReputationRep:
    An eye for an eye.

And than we'd all be blind. How does this principle work in rape cases?

That can be done with a life sentence meaning life in a tough prison regime.

The purpose of justice is to balance out the good and the evil. Treating someone to digital TV, and expensive meals is not justice being done for serious offences, not in ym eyes anyway.
    Not in my eyes either. I simply arguing against capital punishment, i support tough prisons

ReputationRep:
    Then why do so many people who leave prison re offend if its so bad?
    (can't find the figure grrr)
    i don't agree with beating prisoners... but then i don't agree with the stupid idea of rehabilitating every one cause that barely works either.
    Something needs to change.

the law works beyond reasonable doubt for a criminal trial... that mean they have to be 97% sure (i think don't quite me on this ive just finished my law exams and my brain has turned to mush)

teachers mainly want corporal punishment back.. i don't perticulary agree with it as im not sure i'd want my kid to get beaten but i can see were there coming from. ages ago kids would not of dared do what they do now in schools!

but this and the school one will never happen.... human rights you see....

ReputationRep:
    it has before and i think if things keep going the way they are then it will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    the law works beyond reasonable doubt for a criminal trial... that mean they have to be 97% sure (i think don't quite me on this ive just finished my law exams and my brain has turned to mush)
    There's no such quantity of being sure. If there is any doubt you must acquit.

I suppose some people would bring back hung, drung and quartering in this country. I mentioned that in my law exam - nice. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    There's no such quantity of being sure. If there is any doubt you must acquit.

I suppose some people would bring back hung, drung and quartering in this country. I mentioned that in my law exam - nice. :rolleyes:
    i didnt get an option to do that....

im stilll laughing from the fred murdering wilma flintstone question!!

we were given an average %... but its in my nots some were... but its high lol

ReputationRep:
    i didnt get an option to do that....
    It was a stupid question on sentencing on the Machinery of Justice (AS level) paper for OCR. Kinda showed how that sentence has a retribution and a deterrence effect. Mentioned better examples but I had the time to add a few things in.

im stilll laughing from the fred murdering wilma flintstone question!!
    I remember the theft of a ring.

we were given an average %... but its in my nots some were... but its high lol
    You're not confusing yourself over intention with respect to direct and oblique intention and when recklessness and negligence comes into play?

ReputationRep:
    it has before and i think if things keep going the way they are then it will.
    Things are not 'going' anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    no it was an average % for beyond reasonable doubt
    lol remember asking how the hell can you calclate a % on evidence and everythng as to how guilty some one is?!?!

mine was on ocr... and AS.. but no ring lmao.. unless i over looked it. the ring... was it frodo baggins by any chance? i had that on a mock a while ago lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    That can be done with a life sentence meaning life in a tough prison regime.
    Life? Shouldn't that mean life? It doesn't does it, it means 12 or so years :rolleyes:

A close friend of mine, I don't want to go into too much detail here, but someone has been put away recently for "life" for killing someone, he apparently kept a list of who he was going to kill, my close friend being on this list. He'll be out in 12 years, if not sooner - will he try and kill my friend? Almost definitely. My poor friend is living in such fear, and the system is going to, and has currently failed her.

I have no doubts prison isn't a barrel of laughs, they probably don't all get sky tv however what is prison going to do about the above situation? At least make them do manual labour, that + corporal punishment + the death sentence. Honestly, it is so obvious that this would instil some fear for authority once again which can only be a good thing.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Life? Shouldn't that mean life? It doesn't does it, it means 12 or so years :rolleyes:

Thats my point life should mean life. Today it is wrong to say life but only serve say 12 years. Life meaning life is a better system of punishment than the death penalty.

A close friend of mine, I don't want to go into too much detail here, but someone has been put away recently for "life" for killing someone, he apparently kept a list of who he was going to kill, my close friend being on this list. He'll be out in 12 years, if not sooner - will he try and kill my friend? Almost definitely. My poor friend is living in such fear, and the system is going to, and has currently failed her.
    Life should mean life. That person should not be allowed out of prision until he has naturally died. Just because you fear that he will come and kill your friend is no reason to have him killed. People are punished for crimes not what they may do in the future. Eother way he should not be given the chance to committ a further crime by being put in prison for the rest of his life.

I have no doubts prison isn't a barrel of laughs, they probably don't all get sky tv however what is prison going to do about the above situation? At least make them do manual labour, that + corporal punishment + the death sentence. Honestly, it is so obvious that this would instil some fear for authority once again which can only be a good thing.
    I agree with manual labour

ReputationRep:
    Why should we waste tax payers money keeping him alive when he's already killed one person, tried to kill another and has got a list of people he will kill in the future. He showed no remorse at trial either.

Just kill the *******, he serves no purpose.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Why should we waste tax payers money keeping him alive when he's already killed one person, tried to kill another and has got a list of people he will kill in the future. He showed no remorse at trial either.
    Actually as surveys repeatedly show it costs far more to sentence someone to death as they make appeals, thus the court and lawyer costs are immense. See this for further information.
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...=7#From%20DPIC

Just kill the *******, he serves no purpose.
    No purpose? We should punish someone because they break the law i.e the do something, not because they do not do something. If someone spends their life doing nothing but not effecting anyone else i.e. not claiming benefits, committing crimes rather living off their inheritiance for example, should they be killed?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that be a good idea? Singapore thinks so: http://www.corpun.com/singfeat.htm, good to note they don't even feature in the list of total crimes presented here: http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...cri_cap&int=50 (yes per capita) we happily role in at 6th :rolleyes:

Andrew
    If I wanted ideas on how to run a judicial system Singapore, one of the most oppressive places in the world, wouldn't be my first port of call.

Having said that, I think a damn good thrashing might ocasionally serve a useful purpose.

ReputationRep:

Andrew
    the death penalty for MUGGING? Are you CRAZY?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.