Turn on thread page Beta

Corporal Punishment in the Judicial System watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    the death penalty for MUGGING? Are you CRAZY?
    Make you think twice about punching Granny on the nose and snatching her handbag though wouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Make you think twice about punching Granny on the nose and snatching her handbag though wouldn't it?
    Possibly, but it's ever so slightly out of propotion to the crime :/

ReputationRep:
    while we're at it, why not start cutting off people's hands when they commit a robbery? I have no time for the advocates of capital or corporal punishment, it as despicable as it is increasingly popular among the masses simply because it appeals to one of the basest human desires - revenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    while we're at it, why not start cutting off people's hands when they commit a robbery? I have no time for the advocates of capital or corporal punishment, it as despicable as it is increasingly popular among the masses simply because it appeals to one of the basest human desires - revenge.
    You say "revenge". I say "punishment" One of the purposes of the judiciary is to mete out punishment to those who are in actus rea and mens rea.

ReputationRep:
    I read that article, took me half an hour, and my eye have gone all googly, but nonetheless, an excellant article.

ReputationRep:
    You say "revenge". I say "punishment" One of the purposes of the judiciary is to mete out punishment to those who are in actus rea and mens rea.
    personally i see very little difference, especially when you look at the arguments put forward by a lot of the advocates of capital punishment (although perhaps the ones not best qualified to advocate any policy at all) see beekeepers post on the murder of your grandfather - to me, that reeks of a lust for revenge. I'd better leave this debate now though, as I'm getting scared by the confounded lawspeak.

ReputationRep:
    personally i see very little difference, especially when you look at the arguments put forward by a lot of the advocates of capital punishment (although perhaps the ones not best qualified to advocate any policy at all) see beekeepers post on the murder of your grandfather - to me, that reeks of a lust for revenge. I'd better leave this debate now though, as I'm getting scared by the confounded lawspeak.
    So you don't like "revenge" and cannot distinguish it from "punishment" So by your rationale we should all be free to commit crimes without being punished? Interesting philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    I beleive in crime prevention and rehabilitation

ReputationRep:
    I beleive in crime prevention and rehabilitation
    Oh....one of those......

ReputationRep:
    Oh....one of those......
    Care to expand on your apparent contempt for 'those' people?

ReputationRep:
    Oh....one of those......
    yep I'm a shameless idealist - now I really am going to skip back to the lgbtsoc thread

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, but it's ever so slightly out of propotion to the crime :/
    Is it? You go to the same Uni as me, you must know at least 5 people that have been mugged then. Many at knife point. Now let me think, I wonder are some of these muggings are done by the same people? I would say so.

So the law is having no affect on these people, they still see the benefits of mugging (£20 and a phone?) outweighing the downsides (getting caught by the police, getting a warning or whatever they currently dish out). If you knew you'd get the death penalty for getting caught, you would not mug people. You really wouldn't. The benefits would be far far outweighed by the downsides.

Simple, effective.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Care to expand on your apparent contempt for 'those' people?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst not in favour of capital punishment, by all means bring back the birch and flogging. We should put theives in the stocks for two days and encourage the populace to throw their household refuse at him/her/it. Then after that experiance, 22 lashes on the back and conscription into the army. That'll do the trick I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be a good start definitely

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    Is it? You go to the same Uni as me, you must know at least 5 people that have been mugged then. Many at knife point. Now let me think, I wonder are some of these muggings are done by the same people? I would say so.

So the law is having no affect on these people, they still see the benefits of mugging (£20 and a phone?) outweighing the downsides (getting caught by the police, getting a warning or whatever they currently dish out). If you knew you'd get the death penalty for getting caught, you would not mug people. You really wouldn't. The benefits would be far far outweighed by the downsides.

Simple, effective.

Andrew
    Actually, I don't know personally anybody that's been mugged. I just find it RIDICOULOUSLY over the top to KILL somebody for MUGGING. Even if you believe in that eye for an eye crap, that's WAY out of proportion. Like you said, £20 and a phone, seriously, if you think that's worth killing someone for then you're screwed up!

What exactly do you do at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    Haha Nottingham is like that, very concerning levels of violent crime there, bit like Manchester with car crime. Talking of various punishments above makes me think that this will automatically drop the crime rates and that the cause of crime are simple - doubt very much this is the case in reality.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't happen too often with old people - wrong age and wrong gender. Young males are the most frequent target I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I don't know personally anybody that's been mugged. I just find it RIDICOULOUSLY over the top to KILL somebody for MUGGING. Even if you believe in that eye for an eye crap, that's WAY out of proportion. Like you said, £20 and a phone, seriously, if you think that's worth killing someone for then you're screwed up!

What exactly do you do at Nottingham?
    Frances,

The point of the arguement, the crux of it really is that people wouldn't mug for the £20 and phone if they consequences were severe enough. Getting their hand chopped off if they committed the crime perhaps instead of killing them? How about male rapists getting their penis cut off? I never plan to mug or rape anyone, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest that the scum would have it done to them.

I'm coming up 3rd year CompSci.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    If you knew you'd get the death penalty for getting caught, you would not mug people. You really wouldn't. The benefits would be far far outweighed by the downsides.
    Because, clearly, when such punishments were meted out to robbers, highwaymen, thieves, etc. (let's say in the late eighteenth century) these crimes all suddenly disappeared and nobody committed robberies, muggings, etc. :rolleyes:

Guys, the debate you're having here is at least four centuries old, and sadly nobody has come up with a good solution in all this time.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.