Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I may not have understood what you are arguing against. I'm not saying that suicide bombers do not choose to do it, of course they do. I was saying that it is harder for Palestinians to make the right choice and harder still for osme who have undergone particularly nasty experiences.
    Out of interest, why do you have a Palestinian flag? I thought you were Iranian?

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Out of interest, why do you have a Palestinian flag? I thought you were Iranian?
    It's a Sudanese flag! Although very similar to Palestinian flag I must admit.

Have a look at Palestines flag here:

http://flagspot.net/flags/ps.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Alexdel claimed they dont choose to do it, that they somehow have no say in the matter.

Clearly it makes it more likely that they will make the choice, but then would the same hold true for Israelis who have suffered?
    I said they dont have the same kind of choice like other people living in a free country where there is no oppression and daily killings. You obviously seem to distort everything people say...is that what they teach at oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    I said they dont have the same kind of choice like other people living in a free country where there is no oppression and daily killings.
    So you agree that they make a choice?

If so, what is your grievance with this..

"If you beleive that people have a choice, and are responsible for their own actions (as the vast majority of Palestinians NOT being suicide bombers shows we do)"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    It's a Sudanese flag! Although very similar to Palestinian flag I must admit.

Have a look at Palestines flag here:

http://flagspot.net/flags/ps.html
    Put your cursor over his flag.

ReputationRep:
    I said they dont have the same kind of choice like other people living in a free country where there is no oppression and daily killings. You obviously seem to distort everything people say...is that what they teach at oxford?
    Why is it my going to oxford is such a mainstay of discussion on here?

Youre being moronic... I said they have a choice - you responded with "CHOICE?"

As if they didnt ... its not my fault if you have no concept of how to express yourself unambiguously.

Nice to know you have finally been able to read my location having previously claimed I was in the US.

I congratulate you on gaining literacy.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Put your cursor over his flag.
    Put your cursor over my flag - which is identical to his and is the official flag of Sudan. If there is an error it is down to TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)

"If you beleive that people have a choice, and are responsible for their own actions (as the vast majority of Palestinians NOT being suicide bombers shows we do)"

Of course they have a choice, they do have a brain...the point is unless you live there you cant tell others that they have a clear cut choice like people living in a developed country have. I mean how many people in britain and the us do go and blow themselves up....you do realise there is trend here. The more oppressed people are the more likely that extreme actions will be taken. It's just unfortunate that some people cannot grasp the concept.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly it makes it more likely that they will make the choice, but then would the same hold true for Israelis who have suffered?
    Maybe that's where it all began i.e. the Holocaust and centuries of persecution.

Solidarity. Do you have that in capitalism? :wink:

(Original post by Vienna)

"Military historians classify suicide bombings as a form of armed violence, belonging to the tactics of assymetric warfare - suicide bombings are only common when one side in a violent conflicts lacks the means for effective, conventional attacks".

So whether we think it's right or wrong, it is recognised as a form of warfare by military historians!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Put your cursor over my flag - which is identical to his and is the official flag of Sudan. If there is an error it is down to TSR!
    Yes indeed! Down with TSR...

though it does mean he CHOSE the Palestinian flag when:

a) He isnt from there

b) He doesnt live there...

so my question is - why did he choose it? I suspect because he wants to show empathy with the Palestinian people, and because he cares about the situation there. I would be curious to know why he considers it a situation more worthy of his notice than say... the Congo, Myanmar, Sudan, or North Korea - or any of the places in this world where people suffer on a greater scale and a greater amount than the people of Palestine.

My guess is because its somewhat more trendy to focus on Palestine because you can use it to attack the US's foreign policy - its not a matter of suffering, but of the political arguments one can make from it. Just a hunch - that’s why I asked him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Why is it my going to oxford is such a mainstay of discussion on here?

Youre being moronic... I said they have a choice - you responded with "CHOICE?"

As if they didnt ... its not my fault if you have no concept of how to express yourself unambiguously.

Nice to know you have finally been able to read my location having previously claimed I was in the US.

I didnt claim anything, I made an assumption mainly because I dont care enough to be bothered to know where you are from and where you live. At the same time there are plenty of yanks studying in oxford so I fail to see how you living there makes you automatically not american.

p.s im sure you will be familiar with assumptions since you seem to be a keen user of them when debating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    "Military historians classify suicide bombings as a form of armed violence, belonging to the tactics of assymetric warfare - suicide bombings are only common when one side in a violent conflicts lacks the means for effective, conventional attacks".

So whether we think it's right or wrong, it is recognised as a form of warfare by military historians!
    There is a difference between suicide attacks - such as kamakazies

and suicide attacks targetting civilians

Terrorism and suicide bombing are not necessarily the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    There is a difference between suicide attacks - such as kamakazies

and suicide attacks targetting civilians

Terrorism and suicide bombing are not necessarily the same thing.
    Where exactly does he say that?

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Yes indeed! Down with TSR...

though it does mean he CHOSE the Palestinian flag when:

a) He isnt from there

b) He doesnt live there...

so my question is - why did he choose it? I suspect because he wants to show empathy with the Palestinian people, and because he cares about the situation there. I would be curious to know why he considers it a situation more worthy of his notice than say... the Congo, Myanmar, Sudan, or North Korea - or any of the places in this world where people suffer on a greater scale and a greater amount than the people of Palestine.
    Degree of, and type of suffering is very subjective therefore cannot be held up to comparison.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt claim anything, I made an assumption mainly because I dont care enough to be bothered to know where you are from and where you live.
    You assumed, and you were completely wrong.

Though if you dont care where I am from you DO care enough to bring it up.

At the same time there are plenty of yanks studying in oxford so I fail to see how you living there makes you automatically not american.
    it doesnt, but since my FLAG is not American, the only way I could be is if I lived there. As Im in Oxford - I clearly dont. Together they make it clear Im not in the US or from the US ... fairly clear if you cared to look.

Regardless - as you dont care about this as you claim, Im not going to go on an on about this irrelevant matter. I kindly ask then that you STOP bringing up my location or university.

p.s im sure you will be familiar with the assumptions since you seem to be a keen user of them when debating.
    You realise that you never actually make any points of substance right? You simply insult ... very very impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Degree of, and type of suffering is very subjective therefore cannot be held up to comparison.
    3 million dead in Congo since 1998.

Compare that to Palestine.

I think on any metric more suffering has gone on in the former.

ReputationRep:
    look i am just started on this thread so dunno bout previous posts but how can anyone deny that palestine was for the palestinians until 1948 wen Britain established the state of Israel. Therefore by establishing that state then - then the palestinians were there before and the british felt it convenient after saving the jews from hitler to place them in a country which has religious importance for the Jews. So originally it was palestinian land - only to be bullied out of it by Israeli's. And now britian want to do a quick peace thing to cover up for their mistake by placing jews in palestine and so palestinians wont b happy with that cos they had the whole land now - and now Palestine is hardly known to anyone - just Israel

ReputationRep:
    Of course they have a choice, they do have a brain...the point is unless you live there you cant tell others that they have a clear cut choice like people living in a developed country have.
    Lawz stressed that they had a choice and with that comes personal responsibility. You agree with that.

No where did Lawz make any other suggestion as to the exact factors involved in that choice, so your comment seems ill founded.

I mean how many people in britain and the us do go and blow themselves up....you do realise there is trend here. The more oppressed people are the more likely that extreme actions will be taken. It's just unfortunate that some people cannot grasp the concept.
    Again, you suggest I havent drawn my own conclusions from such actions despite any comment on my part. It really does not provide for a strong argument if you seek to build it on strawmen.

ReputationRep:
    Where exactly does he say that?
    Did I say he did? I simply pointed out that fact as a proviso to the debate.

Honestly - why bother posting if you have nothing to say?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.