Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    So because Jews legally acquired that land, lived on it, worked on it and then declared a nation for themselves. They cant have it because "oh we had some Arabs living here"?
    Yes fine i agree - they shud definitely allow to live there but to take over the whole country and people like u think its right... then i find that hartd to believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asadtamimi)
    well tell ur great country to sort it out - they r happily to invade saddam for oil yet they dont get rid of that zimbabwian leader do they - maybe cos he doesnt have any oil....
    No, he doesnt and we need it.

ReputationRep:
    well tell ur great country to sort it out - they r happily to invade saddam for oil yet they dont get rid of that zimbabwian leader do they - maybe cos he doesnt have any oil....
    Not true at all. but then Ive been through this oil thing before... people have no evidence the invasion of Iraq was for oil, and moreover its contrary to logic.

ReputationRep:
    thats true i guess - so wot do u believe shud b done - palestine to continue to be occupied? the Israelis have gained jerusalem wot do they want more - they aint eve ginving us the gaza strip
    They are giving back the Gaza strip.

What do I think?

I think its difficult - but in general - they should leave the occupied territories, and Palestine should be an independent state.

ReputationRep:
    well there u go - the heroes " britain and US" who do good for the worl shud sort out places like congo and other oppressed countries instead of invading other countries for oil - i bleieve N. Korea had weapons of mass destruction like Saddam - they didnt find anything there so y dont they look at Korea... oil comes to my mind once again

ReputationRep:
    So because Jews legally acquired that land, lived on it, worked on it and then declared a nation for themselves. They cant have it because "oh we had some Arabs living here"?
    The problem consists in the fact that it doesnt appear to be enough for them. Settlements which are condemned by the international community as illegal settlements dont think qualify as being bought do you?

ReputationRep:
    Sort it out how?

ReputationRep:
    so my question is - why did he choose it? I suspect because he wants to show empathy with the Palestinian people, and because he cares about the situation there. I would be curious to know why he considers it a situation more worthy of his notice than say... the Congo, Myanmar, Sudan, or North Korea - or any of the places in this world where people suffer on a greater scale and a greater amount than the people of Palestine.
    Because Palestine is the only one bgin occupied by a foreign power. The rest are civil conflicts, so siding with that country doesn't really show who you support.

My guess is because its somewhat more trendy to focus on Palestine because you can use it to attack the US's foreign policy - its not a matter of suffering, but of the political arguments one can make from it. Just a hunch - that’s why I asked him.
    It is a bigger and older international issue and it contributes to other problems which do involve the region which I have a link to. I have criticised US policy towards Burma before and I do not think the inaction towards Sudan shows the US foreign policy in a very positive light. In regard to DRCongo and North Korea - 1) I do not know enough about the DRCongo and 2) I don't really know what to do about NK.

ReputationRep:
    just liek they sorted out iraq - well if u believe thats sorted

ReputationRep:
    well there u go - the heroes " britain and US" who do good for the worl shud sort out places like congo and other oppressed countries instead of invading other countries for oil - i bleieve N. Korea had weapons of mass destruction like Saddam - they didnt find anything there so y dont they look at Korea... oil comes to my mind once again
    This is nothing to do with the thread topic. Start another one or look elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    yes it does cos it refers to what lawz was saying bout why palestine is singled out and not congo where there are more deaths

ReputationRep:
    Should we have done mor ein the Congo - Yes I think we should.

However:

1) The US and EU provide the VAST majroity of funding and manpower for peace keeping missions with scant thanks and gratitutde from the rest of the world.

2) North Korea isnt being invaded because:

a) They probably have nuclear weapons
    b) They have China's support
    c) They have a far larger and better equiped army than Iraq

its nothing to do with Oil.

ReputationRep:
    yes it does cos it refers to what lawz was saying bout why palestine is singled out and not congo where there are more deaths
    it is though a separate question on that matter... and is large enough probably to warrant a separate debate. I simply wanted to know why Northumbrian feels that the Palestinian issue is the most important one in the world.

ReputationRep:
    well thats stupid cos if the N. Korea's army is potentially stronger then that shud pose a bigger threat to the US and require more urgent matter

ReputationRep:
    ok Palestine shudnt b the most important issue but it is an important one - people like vienna tried to hide the fact that its important and believe there is nothing wrong with the occupying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    The problem consists in the fact that it doesnt appear to be enough for them.
    So you have no problem with the State of Israel and the right of Israel to exist?

Settlements which are condemned by the international community as illegal settlements dont think qualify as being bought do you?
    When you enter into military conflict, you accept that your national interest is jeopardised. Israel acquired that land, which was not actually an independent state, from the jurisdiction of Jordan and Egypt who had declared war on Israel. Yes, it would be preferable for Israel to acknowledge its 1967 borders, which in most parts it does, but Id be very interested to see on what basis settlements beyond those declared in 1948 are illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    it is though a separate question on that matter... and is large enough probably to warrant a separate debate. I simply wanted to know why Northumbrian feels that the Palestinian issue is the most important one in the world.
    Possibly to do with the fact that is causing a rift between the western world and the middle east + asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Because Palestine is the only one bgin occupied by a foreign power. The rest are civil conflicts, so siding with that country doesn't really show who you support.
    So your focus is down to whether or not its an internal or a transnational conflict? I dont really see that it makes it any more pressing or worthy of internaitonal notice or action.

(Original post by Northumbrian)
    It is a bigger and older international issue and it contributes to other problems which do involve the region which I have a link to. I have criticised US policy towards Burma before and I do not think the inaction towards Sudan shows the US foreign policy in a very positive light. In regard to DRCongo and North Korea - 1) I do not know enough about the DRCongo and 2) I don't really know what to do about NK.
    Fair enough. However once again - the age of the issue is not really relevant I would have thought.

ReputationRep:
    So you have no problem with the State of Israel and the right of Israel to exist?

When you enter into military conflict, you accept that your national interest is jeopardised. Israel acquired that land, which was not actually an independent state, from the jurisdiction of Jordan and Egypt who had declared war on Israel. Yes, it would be preferable for Israel to acknowledge its 1967 borders, which in most parts it does, but Id be very interested to see on what basis settlements beyond those declared in 1948 are illegal.
    Come now Vienna - take your own advice - ignore him

ReputationRep:
    well no to tell u the truth i dont think the state of israel shud exist but it does and nothing we can do bout it however, its bloody unfair the land that palestine have - and its not fair - oh by the way dont try and bring anything legal and illegal seeing as the US invaded iraq andthats an illegal war so i am sure Israel dont care

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.