Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Im not taking the side of anyone that advocates the use of terrorism against innocent people.
    Depends what your view is though. That statement could mean you support one side, you support both sides, or you support neither side.

The Pro Israel side would say that Palestine advocates terrorism and teaches its children that matyrdom is great.

The Pro Palestine side would say that Israel has destroyed the daily lives of Palestinians and commits its own state-terrorism.

The difficulty comes when a person chooses one and won't budge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    there is. you'd just find it abhorrent... :rolleyes:
    Whats your perfect solution for Israel/Palestine then?

ReputationRep:
    Im not taking the side of anyone that advocates the use of terrorism against innocent people.
    If we define terrorism as something that causes terror then Israel is as gulity as the palestinians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Depends what your view is though. That statement could mean you support one side, you support both sides, or you support neither side.

The Pro Israel side would say that Palestine advocates terrorism and teaches its children that matyrdom is great.

The Pro Palestine side would say that Israel has destroyed the daily lives of Palestinians and commits its own state-terrorism.

The difficulty comes when a person chooses one and won't budge.
    The existence of two sides in a debate doesn't mean that both of their positions are valid.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely, which is why you dont declare borders for other people!
    We did it for the Jews and the Arabs

Are there? Do you have a web link? I'm just surprised.
    It was rhetorical in regard to Iran, because 2 seats are always set aside for Jews in the Iranian parliament. And I'm sure I read it is the same in Lebanon. There are 25 000 Jews still in Iran, but most left to Israel I think.

Are either of those indiscriminate? The former occured in a battle conflict where Hezbollah used a UN compound as cover.
    Proof of that? The Israelis shelled Qana refugee camp. Those shells do not discriminate. The bombs that hit the residential area do not discriminate, The proof is in the corpses.

Most?? Please tell me you condemn it all...
    Killing Israeli soldiers is perfectly legitimate.

. How do you expect peace to come about when your continuous threads against Israel are posted, with more and more people agreeing each time?
    Threats to destroy Israel. Palestine is already destroyed. Which people are more angry?

I support that 100%, peace will never be achieved while people are taking sides.
    The Israelis don't want a viable Palestinian state. Solidarity with the Palestinians is the only way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    That is a disgusting comment. No wonder there is no peace with people like you around. You should be ashamed.

The Israelis don't want a viable Palestinian state. Solidarity with the Palestinians is the only way.
    Yes they do.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you get this from?

Sure, it isn't quite as evil as killing civilians, but you must believe that all human life should be preserved as best we can?

ReputationRep:
    That is a disgusting comment. No wonder there is no peace with people like you around. You should be ashamed.
    How is it disgusting? The Israelis are occupying someone elses country. Any attacks on them are perfectly legal and perfectly logical.

Yes they do.
    How can we have a viable state with tens of thousands of settlers in the west bank? With growing settlements. With settler only roads. With check points, with barracks etc. Bantustans springs to mind.

Sure, it isn't quite as evil as killing civilians, but you must believe that all human life should be preserved as best we can?
    I do. But when an Israeli invades someone else land or an American invades someone else land, how can we say it is wrong for the people to fight back? Would we in Britain have been wrong to rip apart any Nazi invader?

ReputationRep:
    gemgems89 if someone invaded your country would you want to kill and would you feel justifed in killing those soliders oppressing you?

ReputationRep:
    How is it disgusting? The Israelis are occupying someone elses country. Any attacks on them are perfectly legal and perfectly logical.
    Give me evidence of this state of Palestine you imply. A piece of specifically Palestinian culture.

With Israel recognised as a state by one half of the world, and Palestine recognised by the other, to say that anybody is invading anybody is entirely subjective.

ReputationRep:

How can we have a viable state with tens of thousands of settlers in the west bank? With growing settlements. With settler only roads. With check points, with barracks etc. Bantustans springs to mind.

I do. But when an Israeli invades someone else land or an American invades someone else land, how can we say it is wrong for the people to fight back? Would we in Britain have been wrong to rip apart any Nazi invader?
    Its very disgusting. You are saying Israeli lives arent important, yet you get angrry when a Palestinian terrorist gets killed. Are you saying its ok to kill them too? I think not. Er and remember, Gaza is apparently the only 'occupied' land, so thats hardly the whole of Israel. It is not legal to kill someone. You know, even soldiers have family that care. Israelis have to enter the army at 17/18, like it or not. They join to defend Israel and its citizens.

Does it mean they dont want a state? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    gemgems89 if someone invaded your country would you want to kill and would you feel justifed in killing those soliders oppressing you?
    Nobody has invaded a country, though. If you remember, the Jews were given the land by the British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Give me evidence of this state of Palestine you imply. A piece of specifically Palestinian culture.

With Israel recognised as a state by one half of the world, and Palestine recognised by the other, to say that anybody is invading anybody is entirely subjective.
    Well if we consider 1967 borders, its pretty clear who is invading. I think most people would recognise these as a reasonable place to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Nobody has invaded a country, though. If you remember, the Jews were given the land by the British.
    It was a general question, if someone invaded your country would you feel justied in killing them if they were oppressing you?

ReputationRep:
    If we define terrorism as something that causes terror then Israel is as gulity as the palestinians.
    We dont and they arent.

ReputationRep:
    Which country are they occupying?

ReputationRep:
    Well if we consider 1967 borders, its pretty clear who is invading. I think most people would recognise these as a reasonable place to start.
    The PA doesnt.

What parts of the '1967' border has Israel invaded?

ReputationRep:
    The PA doesnt.

What parts of the '1967' border has Israel invaded?
    have a look at a map

ReputationRep:
    have a look at a map
    Show me one you agree with.

ReputationRep:
    have a look at a map
    You do realize that the West Bank and Gaza were controlled by Jordan and Egypt before Israel took it over, right?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.