Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Instead of wasting money being sent to africa, first we need to eradicate their corruption AND THEN give them money. Otherwise we're just going to be paying for robert mugabwe's ferrari collection (no he doesnt have any but you get the point)!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    Instead of wasting money being sent to africa, first we need to eradicate their corruption AND THEN give them money. Otherwise we're just going to be paying for robert mugabwe's ferrari collection (no he doesnt have any but you get the point)!!
    Or invest the money through NGO who are able to get the money to the areas that need them effectively. This is far easier than eradicating corruption.

EDIT: any reason this post was deserving of neg rep? Strange consideing I havent neg reped anyone in this thread at all.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    Or invest the money through NGO who are able to get the money to the areas that need them effectively. This is far easier than eradicating corruption.
    Corruption is not hard to stop- it took 72 hours to defeat sadam's forces in Iraq (yes and how ironic that it takes them 2 years to beat a bunch of amateur soldiers!!).

I do not believe it would take long if the British Army were sent to zimbawbe to defeat robert mugawbe. The truth is, we only went to iraq because we need stability there because of the oil- Z. doesnt really have anything we are worried about............ (this isnt my view, im saying its the general view from the west).

ReputationRep:
    Corruption is not hard to stop- it took 72 hours to defeat sadam's forces in Iraq (yes and how ironic that it takes them 2 years to beat a bunch of amateur soldiers!!).

I do not believe it would take long if the British Army were sent to zimbawbe to defeat robert mugawbe. The truth is, we only went to iraq because we need stability there because of the oil- Z. doesnt really have anything we are worried about............ (this isnt my view, im saying its the general view from the west).
    I wouldn't say corruption has been defeated in Iraq personnally. Ironically with Sadam it was the corruption in western nations with the food for oil programme that was as bad as any in Iraq.

Are you advocating invading all the countries in Africa which show signs of serious corruption then? It strikes me that is a very expensive both in soliders lives and costs that would probably only bring a short term solution. If look at the case of Congo where a million people have died in the current civil war, I wouldnt want to send British troops anywhere near it as its a death trap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    I wouldn't say corruption has been defeated in Iraq personnally. Ironically with Sadam it was the corruption in western nations with the food for oil programme that was as bad as any in Iraq.

Are you advocating invading all the countries in Africa which show signs of serious corruption then? It strikes me that is a very expensive both in soliders lives and costs that would probably only bring a short term solution. If look at the case of Congo where a million people have died in the current civil war, I wouldnt want to send British troops anywhere near it as its a death trap.
    Well we can either send them money that they dont receive, or we can try and kill their supressors, the poor get the money and they also get a freedom for democracy.....

I think its worth it......

I also dont think the rebels would stay for long knowing that Her Majesty's British Army were on their way.....

ReputationRep:
    Well we can either send them money that they dont receive, or we can try and kill their supressors, the poor get the money and they also get a freedom for democracy.....

I think its worth it......

I also dont think the rebels would stay for long knowing that Her Majesty's British Army were on their way.....
    If it was a feasible solution I would be all for it however I do not think the logistics of it would work. Not only that, but I think that the masses are very fickle and narrow minded and hence you would find it difficult to get the support of the general public. Essential in a democracy if a country wants to use its army at times other than war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarnhamBoy)
    Has anyone noticed the links to "Funny Pics" in Andyukguy's sig? A touch offensive, or a bit of fun? Opinions please.

I think Britain needs to take a role in helping Africa, but not through debt relief or by throwing money at them. Debt relief is basically giving Africans a ticket to put themselves back in debt in future by following bad financial policies. International trade needs to be reformed, i.e. completely free trade. Measures needed to be taken would include a destruction of the CAP. Also pressure must be put on governments to be more transparent and less corrupt, and countries should not be helped unless they are fully democratic.
    True, Africa has a lot to trade. It has to be fair though. The less they are paid the more profit is gained for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i quite like the BBC.

i dont see what it has to do with the post you quoted though. possibly just a reply for replies sake.

correct me if im wrong, but are africans the only people who die? are us british immortal?
    Are we not already getting help?

ReputationRep:
    You are right, but I wish you weren't. I'd hate it if George Bush was in controll of Africa's economy- we Brits have to do something.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.