Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Basilisk)
    They're probably the ones who've been sending Bono rude and offensive letters saying stuff like "F*** the foreigners" and "help you own kind!"
    Why do they exist? Isn't it morally wrong that they exist?
    It doesnt matter if they exist, as long as no ones taking any notice of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't think stupid comments like that are very helpful. I stated a fact; no need to allude to death camps in your response.
    I don't find your suggestion of blaming 'the blacks' particularly helpful either.

ReputationRep:
    They're probably the ones who've been sending Bono rude and offensive letters saying stuff like "F*** the foreigners" and "help you own kind!"
    Have you not actually read the thread? It's not very long yet so it shouldn't tax you much.

The majority so far have agreed that Africa is a bottomless pit when it comes to aid. The UK however, isn't. So why don't we have Live8 for Britain? Why Africa? Shouldn't we sort outselves out first?

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    Have you not actually read the thread? It's not very long yet so it shouldn't tax you much.

The majority so far have agreed that Africa is a bottomless pit when it comes to aid. The UK however, isn't. So why don't we have Live8 for Britain? Why Africa? Shouldn't we sort outselves out first?

Andrew
    i agree. id prefer the money to be spent on cleaning our hospitals, or giving our grannies and grandas more cash in their pension, or any number of other uses.

ReputationRep:
    So sticking up for your own kind is morally wrong now? (although I dont agree with those letters) as I said before there is no point in sending money to africa because they waste it.(6 times the amount of money has been sent to africa than it cost to rebuild europe after ww2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i agree. id prefer the money to be spent on cleaning our hospitals, or giving our grannies and grandas more cash in their pension, or any number of other uses.
    Yep so would I, but apparently it's more fashionable these days to be raising money for those "poor" Africans then for anyone over here.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Yep so would I, but apparently it's more fashionable these days to be raising money for those "poor" Africans then for anyone over here.

Andrew
    Can you actually not see that a Brit with a state pension and a council house is slightly better off than a child born with aids, no parents and an expected life span of less than a year?

Its got nothing to do with fashion, its our moral duty as human beings.

ReputationRep:

Andrew
    Yes, I have read the thread.
    Live 8 is not giving money to Africa but instead raising awareness to the G8 leaders to drop debt and sort out a system of aid. Poverty in Britain is luxury compared to poverty in Africa. Aid is widley available here. The poor of Africa are usually born into poverty and can do nothing but beg, also children. Children here are put into foster homes etc. and are treated well.
    We are far better off and must help others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Can you actually not see that a Brit with a state pension and a council house is slightly better off than a child born with aids, no parents and an expected life span of less than a year?

Its got nothing to do with fashion, its our moral duty as human beings.
    yes we do see that.

whats your point?

ReputationRep:
    I don't find your suggestion of blaming 'the blacks' particularly helpful either.
    But I notice you didn't object when the other contributor implied (wrongly as it happens...but never mind...) that SA was doing well because it was under black leadership.

So, in your Alice in Wonderland world we can refer to black skin color when we see success, and achievement but that same skin color is never to be mentioned when we see failure and corruption.

Another PC drone. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Andrew
    Sort ourselves out? :confused: There's nothing wrong with the UK compared to places like Africa where people are dying or starvation whereas in the UK its totally opposite. It would be in the whole world interest to not have poor countries when it comes to economic activity and growth. Also where aid is channelled in the right ways it can be beneficial and a vital tool for most people, which is why USA gives 1/3 through NGO's who get aid to those who most need it.

ReputationRep:
    Quickly. Fetch my violin somebody. Oh.....and a bucket so I can vomit in a contained area.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, id prefer to have a britain where no-one is forced to pull their own teeth out with pliars because there is no dentists, for example. id prefer to have streets that arent swimming in vomit and other interesting fluids on a weekend. i'd prefer to have hospitals are are opening and clean, not capitulating and so dirty you can smell it. those are issues to ME. some kids in africa arent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    So sticking up for your own kind is morally wrong now? (although I dont agree with those letters) as I said before there is no point in sending money to africa because they waste it.(6 times the amount of money has been sent to africa than it cost to rebuild europe after ww2)
    No, it's just that I think being openly discriminating is morally wrong - freedom of speech has its limitations. I could expect that from proud America, but not Britain. Do not refer to Africans as "they" as they are all very different. Mugabi spends all the money on weapons, armies, bombs... jewelry, **** whatever - But Mandela is very helpful and DEFINATELY make a difference. Africa is not a country, it is made up of countries and one should be aware of their different views- though to many they are just all foreigners. Aid helps. Aid REALLY helps. Believe me.

ReputationRep:

Andrew
    Woah! Africans aren't poor?

ReputationRep:
    But I notice you didn't object when the other contributor implied (wrongly as it happens...but never mind...) that SA was doing well because it was under black leadership.

So, in your Alice in Wonderland world we can refer to black skin color when we see success, and achievement but that same skin color is never to be mentioned when we see failure and corruption.

Another PC drone. :rolleyes:
    If you're referring to Rachelmarie's post, no I did not write an objection to that.
    She only made that point in response to the point made by andyguyuk...

The only part with any significant numbers of whites is South Africa and there is no doubt that it is doing the best of all African countries.
    And I didn't post any objection to that point either.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just that I think being openly discriminating is morally wrong - freedom of speech has its limitations. I could expect that from proud America, but not Britain. Do not refer to Africans as "they" as they are all very different. Mugabi spends all the money on weapons, armies, bombs... jewelry, **** whatever - But Mandela is very helpful and DEFINATELY make a difference. Africa is not a country, it is made up of countries and one should be aware of their different views- though to many they are just all foreigners. Aid helps. Aid REALLY helps. Believe me.
    mandela was a terrorist who should have been executed. dont start trumpeting him as some sort of hero.

ReputationRep:
    ] Aid helps. Aid REALLY helps. Believe me.
    It certainly does. It helps failed musicians like Geldoff line his pockets on the back of everybody else's gullibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    those are issues to ME. some kids in africa arent.
    That's abhorrent.
    Thank God you don't represent the majority of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly does. It helps failed musicians like Geldoff line his pockets on the back of everybody else's gullibility.
    Are you suggesting that Geldoff is receiving a subsidy from the G8 nations?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.