Turn on thread page Beta

Arrghh these old people that hate young ones watch

ReputationRep:
    right theres this guy at work, in his late 40s and Im the YiNI student and he keeps peeng me off by sarcastic comments such as whats british engineering coming to and the good old days and poo. hes the lazyest git and the least willing the learn git ive ever met in my life, I suppose therell be worse people i might come across in the future. He just started work as electrical foreman he doesnt know and rather doesnt want to know even where some of the substations are.."Not my job" , "Nothing to do with me" is the 2 sentences he uses the most. Today he was wiring this panel up I was asking him about what was different on a safety relay compared to a normal one ( i could sort of guess but wasnt exactly sure), and he looked at me as if I was stupid and said his famous piece "whats british engineering coming to..and bla bla"..god he does my head in...I feel like spitting in his sandwich tomorrow... :mad: just cheesed off thats all...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I wouldn't let it get you down too much. There are always people who are difficult in life and I expect the workplace is worse than anywhere else basically. The best way to combat it is to pretend it doesn't get to you and act politely. Hopefully he'll realise one day what an idiot he's being. If he gets personally offensive you should feel free to have a word with someone about his attitude. Also if you're meant to be learning there and he's being deliberately unhelpful you should speak to someone. He does sound like a real pain in the arse. Try to kind of rise above it and not let it get you down too much.

ReputationRep:
    ye its just that he makes you feel, well certainly made me feel, not to ask him anything ever again. As he is not happy doing work, never mind explaining what he's doing...no Im not feeling all down or anything its just a shame that such people exist. ow well such is life

ReputationRep:
    You're the new guy. Everybody's always horrible to the new guy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I know what you mean. Maybe he's jealous because you're going to uni and you're gonng have a great job in a few years' time. Do you study engineering? I didn't know you learnt about electrical circuits...maybe my friends do a different type of engineering. But if it's something you haven't learnt in lectures, just say that. I personally would then ask what year at uni he learnt it at (because it sounds like he didn't go to uni and I like to piss people off). If you wanna try it the nice way, next time he makes a rude comment, just say "have I done something to offend you?" and he'll most likely say "no" or "no, why?". Either way then say "well you're always very rude to me and I want to know why", or something similar.

Is it his job to know the substations?

ReputationRep:
    No Im a pre uni student, and basically Im just trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible on my gap year. Well its nearly over now and Im starting to do mechatronics engineering in manchester. So I'll definitely learn about circuits etc there, i mean i do know a bit, and would ceratinly like to know more..and YiNI is great as you get paid for learning :eek: and its the otherway round at uni. but ye this guy is basically an *rse. a big one too. Ye i am quite good at being sarcastic so he wil get his answer if he is *rsy again. but really theres no need for that kind of attitude...but this is another thing ive learnt...there are some real titheads living amongst us...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.