Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    Wasnt it just a case of saying that the higher the voltage in the coiled wire, the bigger the magnetic field so on and so on? which should come up on the pc screen.
    I dunno, it just said describe what happened to the magnet to show the screen..all I can think of is it went through the wire..and out at the other end.

Oh yeh the planets having the same material as the sun or something, what did everyone put? I just put the Sun must have been made from the same materials as the planets..

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about AQA Moduler Higher? I did this paper this morning and found it really easy, even though I only revised last night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Oh yeh the planets having the same material as the sun or something, what did everyone put? I just put the Sun must have been made from the same materials as the planets..
    I said the same, but the other way round! :p: Hope it's right :confused:

ReputationRep:
    the magnet one, i said it goes down and then back up not through the other end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    the magnet one, i said it goes down and then back up not through the other end
    me to
    not sure if it was correct though
    would I loose a mark for not saying 'induced'
    I said about the magnet creating a current in the coil

ReputationRep:
    So bearing in mind we know how hard theyve been, what do people think the exam boundaries will be for the two aqa papers?

ReputationRep:
    55 for an A in P1
    50 for an A in P2
    Thats what I think, although I hope it will be lower

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was pretty easy, mainly cos everything i revised came up. For the sea-water one, the sea water reacts with the coarbon dioxide to create calcium carbonates and calcium and magnesium hydrogencarbonates which are insoluable so they go to the bottom of the sea as sediment. I got 1050kg as the mass of the car and i said that the magnet was moved into the coil, then out again in the opposite direction (though forgot to mention that it was at the same speed). Didn't like the fertiliser one or the mars one, but liked the bog-standard (no pun intended) eutrophication question. Oh, and I put galaxy then universe for the balnk space one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seifer)
    I thought the paper was pretty easy, mainly cos everything i revised came up. For the sea-water one, the sea water reacts with the coarbon dioxide to create calcium carbonates and calcium and magnesium hydrogencarbonates which are insoluable so they go to the bottom of the sea as sediment. I got 1050kg as the mass of the car and i said that the magnet was moved into the coil, then out again in the opposite direction (though forgot to mention that it was at the same speed). Didn't like the fertiliser one or the mars one, but liked the bog-standard (no pun intended) eutrophication question. Oh, and I put galaxy then universe for the balnk space one.
    I wrote the same as you in all that (cept the magnet one), and for the sea water thing, i put C02 reacted with sea water to produce insoluble calcium carbonates which are deposited as sediments and soluble calcium and magnesium...slightly different...think theyll accept?

ReputationRep:
    for the last question, when it asked for one reason about the solar energy would it matter if I put 2 down becuase I think I mentioned 2 different things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mullabc.02)
    55 for an A in P1
    50 for an A in P2
    Thats what I think, although I hope it will be lower
    Out of 90? I would've thought to get an A you would be looking in the 70s at least. Of course, that's just based on the fact I think examiners are mean.

Did we reach a consensus on what the answer to the hydrogen chloride volume thingy was? I had no idea what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lottie)
    Out of 90? I would've thought to get an A you would be looking in the 70s at least. Of course, that's just based on the fact I think examiners are mean.

Did we reach a consensus on what the answer to the hydrogen chloride volume thingy was? I had no idea what to do.
    Nope.

Last year

Paper 1 - A* = 66/90
    Paper 2 - A* = 63/90

As were 50ish.

Hopefully, the boundaries will be going down this year especially for paper 2.

ReputationRep:
    I got:
    1. 8.3% for proportion question
    2. 24 litres and 73 grams for the calculations, but I think 24 litres is wrong because you had to work out something else first
    3. I got 1050kg for the mass question after pondering about it for ages

For the C02 in the sea question I put about how the sea absorbed C02 and it was in erm carbonates and hydrogenates (not sure whether that was right though).

ReputationRep:
    for the last question, when it asked for one reason about the solar energy would it matter if I put 2 down becuase I think I mentioned 2 different things
    I think that makes it so you can't get full marks for that question.

ReputationRep:
    Paper 1, 2004 (out of 90)
    A* 66
    A 54
    B 42
    C 30
    D 25

Paper 2, 2004 (out of 90)
    A* 63
    A 51
    B 39
    C 28
    D 19

Module Tests, 2004 (out of 300)
    A* 251
    A 224
    B 197
    C 170
    D 145

Coursework, 2004 (out of 60)
    A* 53
    A 47
    B 41
    C 36
    D 30

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not sure. For that one I put that it would be best in hot countries where there would constantly be sunshine - most cost effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickiM)
    Hmm, not sure. For that one I put that it would be best in hot countries where there would constantly be sunshine - most cost effective.
    I wrote about calculators and said something about it being impractical to power a calculator using fossil fuels or wind power... :rolleyes: In retrospect, that was probably a silly thing to say. I think I put solar cells are useful (wrong word since I think that has another meaning from the standard English one in science) for generating small amounts of electricty.

ReputationRep:
    I said in places with high intesities of sunlight, then also added to the end,
    'they can also be useful in very rural areas which have no electricity supplying them from power cables'

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone put for the volume of hydrogren chloride gas produced ( 1 mark question )? I put 48 litres seing as the Mr of a gas occupies 24 litres and there were 2 molecules

ReputationRep:
    I put 24 litres but I don't think it is right.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.